GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Keyboard Ghosting Explained
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Keyboard Ghosting Explained Reply with quote

Here's an article by Microsoft that explains ghosting.

https://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/AntiGhostingExplained.mspx

It also includes a test app that lets you see ghosting in action.

So yay, a classic PC gamedev problem explained.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an interesting read. Not sure if I fully grasp the consequences. I know I was having trouble dealing with multiple keypresses when I made up the control scheme for Tankgame(edit: which is why I ended up with something that never required either of the two players to ever keep any key depressed, everything was "press once"-based).

Now if I interprete that information right it means that ideally each command must be assigned to a key on its own row with no other commands on the same row, which gives us a whopping six theoretically always working keys to work with (or a maximum of six input states which can all be queried simultaneously without the keyboard locking up).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Star Control II coming with a little program you could run called "key jammin" (or something like that) where you could test key combinations. There was a 2-player split screen option with both players on keyboard, so this was kinda important!
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Keyboard Ghosting Explained

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.