GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic - Summer 2011 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Offtopic - Summer 2011 Reply with quote

Spring 2011 Off Topic
Winter 2011 Off Topic

Fall 2010 Off Topic
Summer 2010 Off Topic
Spring 2010 Off Topic
Winter 2010 Off Topic

Fall 2009 Off Topic
Summer 2009 Off Topic
Spring 2009 Off Topic
Winter 2009 Off Topic

Fall 2008 Off Topic
Summer 2008 Off Topic
Spring 2008 Off Topic
Winter 2008 Off Topic

Winter 2007 Off Topic
Fall 2007 Off Topic
Summer 2007 Off Topic
Spring 2007 Off Topic

Winter 2006 Off Topic
Fall 2006 Off Topic
Summer 2006 Off Topic
Spring 2006 Off Topic

Winter 2005 Off Topic
Fall 2005 Off Topic

Edited by sonrisu on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 1 time
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hot. :]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allergies suck.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huzzah! Laptop showed up today. Haha, according to the website, it wasn't even supposed to ship until Friday. Score!

I'm going to take some notes here as I swap out the parts. First off, stock Windows benchmark:

Processor: 6.9
Memory (RAM): 5.5 -> 7.4 (after RAM upgrade)
Graphics (Aero): 4.5 -> 5.9 (after SSD upgrade)
Gaming Graphics: 6.1 -> 6.2 (after SSD upgrade)
Primary Hard Disk: 5.6 -> 7.7 (after SSD upgrade)

Going to swap out the RAM now.

EDIT: Wow! Going from a single 2 GB stick to 2x 4 GB sticks, 8 GB total, saw a nice big RAM speed jump. Huzzah.

Next I need to spend a bit burning discs.

EDIT2: Back from seeing "Super 8". Windows re-install is done, and apparently adding the SSD bumped the performance of nearly everything. Wow!
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it.

- It's light (3 lbs)
- It's fast (can recompile the Smiles source from scratch in less than 30 seconds... faster than my desktop)
- It gets good battery life (6 hours+). That's a flight from here to San Francisco, easy.
- It has enough gusto to record and edit video ?rel=0" frameborder=0 webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen>
- The screen is fantastic (viewing angles, brightness, colors, all great. IPS for the win)
- The screen is matte, a very good matte too. Stray light aiming at the screen are fuzzed instead of blinding. Genuinely usable outside.
- It's quiet (almost inaudible when not doing super-intense stuff)
- It boots extremely fast (haven't benchmarked it, but the Windows 7 Loading Animation doesn't finish)
- It has a mouse-nub. I think I like mouse nub's better than touchpad's. My first laptop had one 12 years ago.
- It has a US Keyboard! Ha ha! No stupid French keys eating my valuable SHIFT.
- Has a keyboard lamp (not a backlit keyboard, but a front-light that shines down from the top of the screen)
- My Zoom H4n recorder in "audio interface" mode works fantastically
- Hardware upgrades were super-simple to do
- After (manual) upgrades, cost me under $1300. I could have saved more with a non Intel SSD, but I like things to just work.

Only complaints:

- When doing intense stuff for a long period of time, the upper left corner the base gets warm. Only this one spot though, and can just rest on clothing if it bugs me.
- Has web forward and back keys beside the arrow keys. I would honestly prefer PG-UP or PG-DOWN, Home, End. The web keys seem very useless to me, given I could use other shortcuts for that (ALT+LEFT and ALT+RIGHT)

A 12.5" at 1366x768 really is big enough for me. I did find it a tad small for fitting Sony Vegas, but I managed comfortably. Blender seems a little tight, so it may not be ideal for 3D modeling with multiple views, but certainly usable. Comfortable for Paint Shop Pro and simple image editing.

I am so very pleased with it.

It was such a battle to find, pick, and decide on this computer (Lenovo X220), but I'm convinced it is the best and most suitable laptop I could have purchased for myself. Definitely the best $1300 I've spent. I did say I could, by taking the lower price point, buy a laptop in a year with better specs if I needed it. I'm thinking I wont. I think this could do me for this, and perhaps the next project too. Very satisfied.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's awesome when you get new hardware that works for you. Enjoy the hell out of that thing. Light portables are amazing.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tell this to everyone, but no one ever listens, so don't mind me.

The secret to lifespan for a laptop is not letting it get hot. Hotness also makes the fans work overtime, which helps along the secondary issue, which is dust collection. Dust collection brings overheating and fan failure, it's all a vicious circle.

Anyway. Two tips:
- Never EVER use the laptop on your lap, find a surface to put it on. Your lap smothers all the air holes.
- If you can, elevate the laptop. Put spacers under it, so air also flows underneath the thing. You don't need a ton, an inch already makes a huge difference.

Check if your corner that's getting warm has an airhole underneath, raising it for airflow probably fixes that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It has enough gusto to record and edit video

For a moment there you sounded pretty excited :)

Speaking of hot laptops...

I have a docking station at work, so my laptop is on 8-9 hours a day, five days a week. I have noticed that there are two fan ports on the sides toward the very back of the unit, and one of them has gotten so hot that the paint covering the metal grill has blackened and broken off. Quite odd... but that's a lot of hot air coming out a tiny port, so I'm guessing the years of abuse have taken their toll. Heh. I've always got a bunch of nasty, poorly-designed bloatware RAD tools running on it at all times, so the two cores stay awfully busy!

I refuse to work on a laptop all by itself unless I have no recourse. The small screen, gimpy keyboard, and need for an external mouse take all the fun out of them for me.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one laptop in my life and threw it out after 6 months. I don't know how everyone likes them. It's just a gimpy computer that you can take with you, which I don't have use for, ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
It's awesome when you get new hardware that works for you. Enjoy the hell out of that thing. Light portables are amazing.

They are. I've been using Netbooks for the past 3 years as my primary laptop, all super light, no heat, no noise, wonderful little computers. I have 5 of them I cycled between depending on needs (battery life+Win7 starter, Windows XP, Linux, Touch, Touch w/o keyboard).

I think the biggest thing for me is I did not expect that I would actually find a satisfying computer. I'm not particularly a fan of the Mac "Chicklet Keyboards" (I have the iPad one and used my brother's MacBook Pro for a while), and have been left bothered why there really wasn't a decent alternative on the PC side. They always fall short somewhere. Mac deserved to succeed due to the incompetence of PC OEM's.

But despite my personal opinion of Microsoft as a company, I am most comfortable working in Windows, just as I have for the past 15 years. I may be heavily Linux skewed (thanks to DJGPP back in the DOS days, and console dev), but I have Cygwin, MinGW and can dual boot when necessary.

Apple does make the best Phones/PDA's and Tablets, but you still gotta work on something.

Quote:
Anyway. Two tips:
- Never EVER use the laptop on your lap, find a surface to put it on. Your lap smothers all the air holes.
- If you can, elevate the laptop. Put spacers under it, so air also flows underneath the thing. You don't need a ton, an inch already makes a huge difference.

Check if your corner that's getting warm has an airhole underneath, raising it for airflow probably fixes that.

My last real laptop (Dell XPS 10 lb MONSTER) and my (wacom) Tablet PC got hot. The Dell weighed way-too-much to use on a lap, and that tablet heated-up to the point of being nearly unusable in 30 minutes.

This isn't the same thing, this is just warm, and this is after constant intense work for a prolonged period of time (video rendering?). As we speak, it's not "cold" as most of the bottom feels, but to an attentive touch, you can tell it is not as cold as the rest. The corner is the location of the only side air-vent, so there's certainly something toasty over there (CPU?). Comfortable on my leg (wearing shorts).

Actually this Lenovo is well thought out regarding ventilation. The battery actually acts as a riser, raising the backside of the laptop up about 1/3rd of an inch. That's no match for a fleshy human leg, but on a real surface it should vent well.

And yes, while I do get the "no laps" thing... after all, they call them "Notebooks" and not "Laptops", IMO lap usage is the point of lightweight computers. If I was buying a desktop replacement, something to lug around with me and use on a desk, weight wouldn't be as much of an issue. This however was a Netbook replacement, and aside from a minor heat issue, satisfies my needs for a "Netbook but better". A small price to pay for having a real Core i5 chip in it, versus one of the low power ones you get in the MacBook Air and other Thin-books.

Quote:
For a moment there you sounded pretty excited :)

Oh yes. :). Finally moving on from Smiles. :D

I wanted to do some shader toying over the weekend, but I didn't want to use my Desktop (Workstation) PC. Now I have no more excuses. :)

Quote:
I refuse to work on a laptop all by itself unless I have no recourse. The small screen, gimpy keyboard, and need for an external mouse take all the fun out of them for me.

I've started alternating to a [url= desk setup[/url], currently just a netbook on a bookshelf, but once I move in to my new place (September 1st) I'll be setting up that a bit more proper. I see that satisfying the need for an "alternative" computer (as most laptops are), but aside from art and 3D modeling, I can comfortable change my location and work on most things with this.

Quote:
I bought one laptop in my life and threw it out after 6 months. I don't know how everyone likes them. It's just a gimpy computer that you can take with you, which I don't have use for, ever.

Well if you can't use it on the lap... ;). I agree though, I've never really been satisfied with a Laptop before. Not a replacement for a desktop, but a means to do stuff un-tethered. Essential for non Ludum Dare game jams. I used my "battery life" Netbook at our Jam during GDC in San Francisco, and I really didn't feel like I could work well on it.
PoV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used this to remap the "web back" and "web forward" keys I didn't like to Page-Up and Page-Down:

http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/

Ahhhh!

Actually, now I'm glad they made those keys in to the web keys, as the web keys have a unique scancode and I can pick whatever function I want. Some of my Netbooks make those Home and End. I can play and pick whichever combination I like. :)

Very satisfied. :D
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
Well if you can't use it on the lap... ;). I agree though, I've never really been satisfied with a Laptop before. Not a replacement for a desktop, but a means to do stuff un-tethered. Essential for non Ludum Dare game jams. I used my "battery life" Netbook at our Jam during GDC in San Francisco, and I really didn't feel like I could work well on it.

That's the thing though, I personally never get into situations where I'm away from home in need of a computer. I guess I'm just not a big enough geek or something :). I sometimes find myself lacking some basic internet access though, so I can see myself going for a smartphone or iPad soon. I just don't get into that situation enough that I can warrant spending the money on it. That said, I probably will buy an android phone soon, just because I'm in dire need of a new phone (this is my second phone ever and it's about 5 years old) and I think it'd be silly to not get a smartphone when it's 2011.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. I do think today a good Smartphone or Tablet can satisfy most people's needs for a laptop. Surfing on the couch, iPad is fantastic at that. The iPod touch is great at doing that in the ... uh ... place of "business". ;)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've started alternating to a standing desk setup

I have a desk that can raise/lower at work, and I love it. Being able to do work standing is really great and a good break from sitting down with the horrible posture I usually have.

Wish I could get one for home.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, homepage rewrite completed. Took the entire week when originally I thought I would be able to learn PHP and do it all in just two days.

There are still too many distractions in my life even though I currently don't have a dayjob. Focus Dennis, focus!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a WebGL capable browser (Firefox, Chrome) and graphics card (no GMA's):

http://www.iquilezles.org/apps/shadertoy/

Mmmmm.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit, that is twelve shades of awesome (pun not intended).

Edit:

Also, this too :)

mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your site looks good, Dennis. I'm impressed that you even commented your css file. ;)

What a horrible GIF. Those poor lemmings. :(
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T(h)ank you both. :)

Future Dennis will thank me for placing those comments when he ever has to make changes or additions.

The tank and the lemming have never failed to provoke spontaneous smiles or shocked faces (it's certainly one of the most commented pieces in my pixeljoint gallery).
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IGN posted a somewhat interesting article about the development of that LA Noire game: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1178844p1.html
n29
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now engaged to be married to my awesome, sweet, beautiful girl friend. Gave her a 1.1 carat marquis ring with with 5/8 carat total companion stones.

Blood diamonds for the win!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! Congrats! I just got through with that whole deal, and let me tell you -- I don't miss wedding planning at all. ;]
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still find it weird that I was going to get married next month :/

At least I've got a new girlfriend or I'd be real depressed right now
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Damn, I hate taking out the trash because that means I have to put on pants... then again, my neighbors don't seem to ever bother doing that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I still find it weird that I was going to get married next month :/

Conversely, I still find it weird that I'm not married. I dearly miss having the woman around, but I love the freedom.

Quote:

Damn, I hate taking out the trash because that means I have to put on pants... then again, my neighbors don't seem to ever bother doing that.

I have a guy who lives up the road who fancies himself a "naturalist." Unfortunately, he does not reside in a "pants optional" neighborhood, so the authorities have been summoned to his residence on several occasions when he decided to cruise around the yard in a relative state of... shall we say... undress?
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic - Summer 2011 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.