GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> The Offtopic Thread (Oct 29 - ...) Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: The Offtopic Thread (Oct 29 - ...) Reply with quote

The off topic thread... the place for messages that are not so interesting, topics you expect few responses, goofy linkage, and things maybe not so appropriate for a forum on games and game development.

Archive so far.

2005:
(Aug 22 - Oct 29) - http://www.kapo.ws/gdr/viewtopic.php?t=4
n29
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how about those white sox? Funny name, heh?
DantheKat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still like Star Ocean 3.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was codeing like mad the past 2 days and the other night I woke up and my mind was all filled with a program/calculating effect.. Like I was just calculateing every thing I was thinking about in the moment.. It was so odd because I couldn't understand exactly what I was thinking, and eventually I fell back asleep.
Anyone experience this before?..
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens to me all the time. I find I do my best programming within the first 30 mins of waking up. It's a shame it takes me an hour between getting up and arriving at work... the window has already closed at that point! Heh...
sam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny, cos I normally do my best coding 30 minutes after I should have gone to bed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vouch for both periods being better than the rest of the day.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who remembers the game Abuse will be happy to hear that it's been open sourced. Even better is there's a Windows port:
http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~scot4875/

Glad to see some of the classics living on.

-Bean

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Abuse was so awe-inspiring for its time. The map editor was so flexible it was a major pain to make levels; everything had a hojillion options attached to it.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*mm* Abuse. That's one of the first games I've ever spent my hard earned cash on to own all by myself. Woo-hoo! I remember that level editor sucking hardcore. Just getting a platform to move around was crazy. Wasn't it called something interesting? I know one of their tool's icons was a satan head -- probably referring to the fact that it was "hellish" to use. :)

One of the scary things is that I still remember the name of the main character: "You are Nick Vrenna ..." Heh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also interesting that most of the game logic etc. was written in Lisp. I remember seeing an article on gamasutra that mentioned it - crash bandicoot worked in much the same way I seem to remember
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ren
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nek, is that avatar a picture of what I think it's a picture of?! If so, congrats!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seagalology, the study of Steven Seagal and his movies. Quite interesting, they have a formula.

http://www.seagalology.com/

I mention this because I saw Glimmer Man a few months ago, and it was awful. :D
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally started hopping on IRC again, and I see #gdr is completely empty! Who set up you guys the bomb?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I haven't been on IRC in prolly five years or more.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's nice for use in conjunction with forums. When things are going slow and you need a hand quick, IRC is usually good. Well, that is if the population of a forum hang around and stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Escapist this week. On wierd games. :D
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh... they mention Roommania #203 in the article, one of my favorite games. Many moons ago when I first read about it, I knew I had to import it.

Edit:

Time to get your very own Revolution TV remote! Or not, if you're living outside Japan ^.^
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! An actual TV Remote! That's hillarious! :D
NyanNyanKoneko
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading the Escapist #17, the one on women and gaming. Most of the articles were pretty good, but the first one was totally insulting. The gist of the article goes, "Women were the gatherers, and served men, are slower, etc... Therefore they wouldn't like the same games." I'd like to know where the author got her data from. :P

EDIT:
Besides, evolutionary phychology mostly deals with the reproductive patterns of men and women affecting phsychology, not that hunting or gathering nonsense.

Humans are the least sexually dimorphised creatures on planet earth. That article was treating women like they're different species than men. =P

EDIT 2:
Anyways, there's a reason why not many women (even women scientists) support a lot of the ideas spouted by evolutionary psychologists regarding gender, which tends to coincide with a conservative social viewpoint of a subserviant and weak woman.

The most current research indicates that human societies only started to become patriarchtical during the formation of statehood in which controlling female reproduction became important. In reality cave men and women usually worked together at all tasks, including hunting, gathering, and child raising.

Not enough time has passed, evolutionarally speaking, to support evolutionary psychology in that manor.
nodtveidt
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ren wrote:
Hey nek, is that avatar a picture of what I think it's a picture of?! If so, congrats!!

Yeah it is...it's of my newborn daughter. :D Rhianna Aracelis, October 29th. :) And thanks! :D
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really one to regurgitate news links, but this is just too cool. The ultimate Gamecube case mod!

AT-AT cube mod
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you're still around Jack Dark, but you should get a kick out of this. Umihara Kawase speed runs. Some pretty crazy stuff.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?sort=%2Fmetadata%2Ftitle&query=collection%3Aspeed_runs%20AND%20firstTitle%3AU
Ren
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nodtveidt wrote:
Ren wrote:

Yeah it is...it's of my newborn daughter. :D Rhianna Aracelis, October 29th. :) And thanks! :D

That's truly awesome man, congrats :). Don't forget to post her first line of basic! She's totally old enough to start learning, heh :D.

NyanNyanKoneko wrote:
I was reading the Escapist #17, the one on women and gaming. Most of the articles were pretty good, but the first one was totally insulting. The gist of the article goes, "Women were the gatherers, and served men, are slower, etc... Therefore they wouldn't like the same games." I'd like to know where the author got her data from. :p

I was this close to writing in actually - they've put me in the letter column a couple of times before, so I thought it was a fair bet they'd publish something, but I had an essay that week and I couldn't do it! I feel terrible about it actually, because some people thought the article was great, even though it was an insulting peice of tripe.

I do a brain anatomy lecture/practical every tuesday, and the only noticable difference between a male and female brain is the ejaculation centre at the back of the male brain which is connected to the spinal cortex. The other differences are so minor that scientists don't even know if they are related, because the characteristics sometimes appear in both sexes. Behavioural sexual dimorphism is almost entirely attributable to hormone differences and effects of society, with the second being the most prominent, and those are the facts. Evolutionary psychology is a bit of a non starter, because it can only deal with the physical facts of the body and brain, and does not translate into complex behaviours.

Ahem, excuse the rant, but apart from that article that issue was one of my favourites. The first writer just totally ruined the experience and discredits the mag in my opinion.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arg..
I can't figure out what im doing wrong:

Code:

void titlescreen_storymode_episodemenu(BITMAP *buffer, int &episodes){

char char_episode_num;
    itoa(episode_num,&char_episode_num,10);
    char char_list[256] = "maps/storymode/episode%c/list.txt",char_episode_num;
    char stage_name[256];

FILE *file = fopen(char_list, "rt");

while (fgets(stage_name, sizeof(stage_name), file)) {
         /* Process input line. */
    }
    fclose(file);

}

I want to read from a text file some lines(a word on each line), and have the file it's looking for be dynamic, so that if I change a number, it chooses the appropriate folder.. but i can't figure it out.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> The Offtopic Thread (Oct 29 - ...) Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.