GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Web-based RTS type game...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slazer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Web-based RTS type game... Reply with quote

Alright, I haven't participated on these forms in... a long time. I haven't done much in the way of game development in a long time so that would be the main reason why. I do read enough of the stuff here though. *Takes back a lurker status* Anyway, I figured I might as well bring this up to anyone that likes/enjoys RTS type games.

In Novemeber, one of my professors from the university I attend introduced me to a web-based RTS type game called Travian. www.travian.us (There's also .com and a couple others). It's a neat and simple little game. It's just images and text. It's purely web based no real AJAX type stuff or anything. What I like about this game is that it actually takes hours (well now it does for me) to build and upgrade your different buildings and resource fields and military units. This game a big bully game though. It is geared towards people being bullies (which I am not and kinda getting my ass handed to me at the moment for another player) to other people. Anyway, what's nice about the long build times is that you just let your resources build up, start building or leveling up a unit and then leave the site for the rest of the day. Go back some odd hours later or the next day and continue on. New users get 7-14 day begginers protection so no one can start attacking you right away.

So yeah, if you enjoy RTS types games, give Travian a try. The server I'm on is at http://s4.travian.us. Join there. Join my alliance in the game (which I'll tell anyone if they join) and help us (myself, my friends, and even my professor, heh) win (there is an actual end to the game but I don't think it'll happen for a while as the begining of the end has to be activated (more or less) by the admins of the game). I must warn you, if you like games like this, it could bring you in. After a month and a bit of playing I've found myself going on my computer as soon as I wake up to see if I can do anything in my village. Half the reason why is so I don't get my resources stolen from me. =P

http://s4.travian.us *shakes fist* Jooooiiiiin. =)
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, this game... I have a friend who tries to get me to play this but it seems to take so much time. The game seems to be availble in alot of languages O_o
www.travian.se

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, yeah. Original was in German I believe.
And it does but doesn't take a lot of time to place. You play for like 10 minutes a day... then just go about your life and come back to it later. It's a slow RTS.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks interesting. For some reason it makes me think of Carcassone or that other game that is like it, who's name I forget.

The fact that you only play it for a few minutes a day interests me. Sounds like how I am with Wii voting channel. :) I'll have to give it a closer look this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine worked up a little strategic game that we played in school where we all got one turn a day. Each game would last for several months :) Skipping school hurt because you lost that day's turn...

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pretty cool. Here's one that's similar, but plays a bit faster I think, The Grid: http://celtruler.com/games/thegrid/
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the graphics for a similar game once, I forgot the name, but I still have a few of the graphics lying around.

Edit: bogus transparency, don't feel like fixing em :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: http://celtruler.com/games/thegrid/ - online rts - The Grid Reply with quote

http://celtruler.com/games/thegrid/ - online rts game - The Grid

0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole browser game genre somehow slipped past me in all those years. I've heard others talk about browser games all the time but somehow nothing of that ever caught my interest. I understand there's a huge market for those games and one of the biggest developer studios of such games sits right here in Hamburg ( http://www.innogames.de/en/index.html ).

I played a browser game called Shakes & Fidget for a few weeks at some point but lost interest in it fairly quickly as it's basically just a simple "increase some number (XP) by clicking buttons" type of game where your character or guild rises/falls in a ranking of all players. Maybe I am just getting old and grumpy but I fail to see what's so exciting about competing against millions of unknown strangers in a boring time-wasting clickfest.

Most of the time I am like "why bother?" when yet another game tries to enter my life, presenting me with "more of the same lame boring grinding for score, xp, gold, whatever".

I don't have any idea how to fix that. Sometimes it even feels like real life is the same boring grinding for material gain. There is ultimately no satisfaction in that but you can't escape it because if you stop doing it, it's like your permission to live expires because you need the money just to survive.
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.