GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic - Fall 2011 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Offtopic - Fall 2011 Reply with quote

Summer 2011 Off Topic
Spring 2011 Off Topic
Winter 2011 Off Topic

Fall 2010 Off Topic
Summer 2010 Off Topic
Spring 2010 Off Topic
Winter 2010 Off Topic

Fall 2009 Off Topic
Summer 2009 Off Topic
Spring 2009 Off Topic
Winter 2009 Off Topic

Fall 2008 Off Topic
Summer 2008 Off Topic
Spring 2008 Off Topic
Winter 2008 Off Topic

Winter 2007 Off Topic
Fall 2007 Off Topic
Summer 2007 Off Topic
Spring 2007 Off Topic

Winter 2006 Off Topic
Fall 2006 Off Topic
Summer 2006 Off Topic
Spring 2006 Off Topic

Winter 2005 Off Topic
Fall 2005 Off Topic

Edited by sonrisu on Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:44 am; edited 1 time
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way overdue! Alex, those images in the Summer thread look sweet. Don't give up on creating cool projects. I say go for it. ;]
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, the animation took a while to make, and still needs more work.
I need to find a job in the next couple months or so, or I won't be able to experiment with anything :P been out of work for over a year. :\
yodhe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you find a decent job soon, I've been out of "gainful employment" for so long I started writing computer games, and that was over four years ago...
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dang, thats a long time. It's bit tough here since i don't know anyone in the area. I'm starting to look for freelance, to maybe soften things. during my freetime I wrote a book; wrote 40 pages in 1 week and then another 40 the next 2 weeks, now I'm up to 115 pages. the book is about art.. and basically polishing things with it at this point. I'll have to probably self-publish it online.. so ill have to figure that out.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an update to my animation if anyone wants to see.. still mroe to do..
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool dude.
yodhe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet animation.

4 years is nothing, I gave up applying for jobs and work a couple of years before that after the n'th application. Wait till your 36 and have only 3mths gainful employment in your life. ;)
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys :)
i would think it'd be easier to get employment the older you get. I always feel like nobody takes me seriously because i'm young with big ideas. and I tend to feel like I haven't grown up yet :\ but in some sense, I feel like I should be already and that i'm behind, so hmm.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The employment thing is disturbingly fluid. When you're young, no one wants to employ you because they think you're unskilled... so people looking to exploit you hire you for pennies and work you to death. When you get older, no one wants to hire you because you're too skilled to take a low salary.

If I left my current job I'd have little choice but to go freelance, which wouldn't be too bad since I've picked up some useful contacts/friends in the last ten years or so. No one in my general area would want to pay me what I make now :(
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:\ makes sense. I've decided to lower my rates recently to around $13/hr even though I feel like I should get more. The longer I go without work makes me feel like I'm not worth as much, lol. I guess you're only worth as much as what someone is willing to pay.
n29
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear where you guys live that finding work is so difficult. Europe I'm guessing?

And the sprite looks good, makes think of a 2d Turok.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n29 wrote:
I'd be interested to hear where you guys live that finding work is so difficult. Europe I'm guessing?

For me, South-east US. You can find 'work' if you're near large metro areas. If you're outside the cities, the technical jobs exist but are very sparse and jealously guarded. Folks down here don't grok telecommuting, either :(
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess since phones do 3D quite well these days, there mustn't be as many pixel art contract gigs to be found.

Even I'm afraid to do something that isn't 3D'ish. The "final frontier" was Online/Social, but Flash 11 just came out (with proper 3D support, shaders, and all that). The last hold-out might be HTML5 games, as Microsoft seems completely un-interested in WebGL. But that market isn't even big, more "still growing" now that browsers have started reaching graphics acceleration maturity.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in missouri.. so I'm pretty secluded from the common place you'd find game developers or artistic jobs. :P
people that want general laborers don't hire artists here i guess.
I'm thinking of going back to school though so i can get a degree and have more viable skills i guess and a social life.. take some loans and pay it later basically.. apply for scholarships.. idk.. maybe use my book to get a phd instead of publishing it myself.
edit: ha, turok.. I could see that. that game had a weird feel to it
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw... my tablet cant plug into my laptop.. do I need a usb serial converter? are there a specific brand or type i should get?
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so people looking to exploit you hire you for pennies and work you to death
Sounds very familiar. My mind associates being an employee with pain. Unfortunately it does not seem like something, one can easily avoid (forever).

@Alex: Good to see you're alive. I remember your art from Pixelation. Do not let the evil world trick you into thinking you're worthless.

In general, It think measuring your self-worth in terms of how much money you make or how much work you do/have is dangerous(if not even wrong) because if you take away the money and the work.. then what do you have left to feel good about yourself?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Hanson-White wrote:
btw... my tablet cant plug into my laptop.. do I need a usb serial converter? are there a specific brand or type i should get?

Oh wow. I guess I was lucky to sell my old serial tablet way back 6 years ago, that it hasn't been an issue (rather, it became someone elses issue, hehe).

I don't think a specific brand will matter much, since I don't think many companies even make the adapters anymore. I'd suggest doing some google searches, just to verify that people *have* managed to get it working via Serial->USB adapters, and to check on any headaches they may have dealt with.

The thing about old Serial and Parallel cable connections is that timings on specific pins were more meaningful back then. With USB, there's no per-pin data anymore, and performance is shared across all devices on the BUS. A tablet might have been one of the safer, lest timing critical devices, but I know some of the old hardware I had (flashcarts, communication/debug cables) were finicky.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points, dennis, and thanks. I don't have much other than my art, yet sometimes it makes me frustrated too :P someone i know convinced me to go back to school even though im hesitant about it. I'll just have to make the best of things I guess.
pov, I didn't know that about serial ports. I checked the wacom forum and found a post says that any adaptor should work.. so I guess I'll just get one.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to discourage you, but I've actually had zero success with the three different adapters I've used. I can't tell you which ones they were since they're at the office in a box somewhere. It's an evil box full of bad memories and failed experiments.

For example, IIRC the minimum pins you needs to get a RS232 DE9 connector working are 2,3, and 5. But some applications use the other pins for just to be "proprietary" (read: dickheads), or they use RS485/422 which can still be 9 pin but have different pinouts and voltages ^__^

AAAAASHhaahahh1rgh!
I_are_n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Alex dude that animation looks great. I currently pay my part time artist more than what you're charging... out of pocket though, since I haven't really made any serious dough on my flash games. I can only pay him for part time (~20 hours/week) until I make some decent money.

I might need to go find a job soon too, ><. I guess I must be right in the middle of having job experience because I get so many recruiter calls every day. It's actually quite annoying when your plan is just to do minimum job searches to meet the unemployment requirements. Sooner or later my unemployment/severance is going to be over and I'll probably have to give up on this flash game project... then I'll have to find a job again ><
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sucks sirocco, hope my luck works out else i'll have to buy a new tablet sometime :\ kind of a necessity for a freelance artist.
Im not making anything right now, n00b, my unemployment ran out earlier this year :\ so i can't really be picky. hope it works out for you too man
I_are_n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks Alex, maybe we can work together your art's pretty impressive, and your rate's cheap. It'll have to be in 2.5 weeks though, I'm in China for vacation right now.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, ill still be here.. atleast im planning on being, lol.
yodhe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice (which is pure "bs" but I feel I must say it)....

Don't go back to uni/college unless it is for a proper degree*, unless you really have the money and time to waste. I did it and ended up with a 10,000+ debt hanging over my head, which was a complete waste of time, run by people who had basically "failed" at their given career, and end up teaching because it was a "safe bet", and the only job they could get with their specific education/experience/training.
Tbh, my experience of life thus far has generally been, it isn't what you do/can do, it's whom you know that counts.

*I would suggest maths personally.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic - Fall 2011 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.