GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Jungle Mayhem Page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Variations are also a good idea. You can slightly recolor an existing enemy and alter their behavior. Perhaps make the pistol-wielding bad guy a little darker and let him fire two shots at a time instead of one. Give the fat dude with the stick a makeover and give him a sword. Lotsa possibilities when you start looking at it.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMakeGames wrote:
BadMrBox wrote:
I do believe that you need more kinds of enemies.
You think 8 different types isn't enough?
Well, maybe not more enemies but as Sirocco said variation. Give them different looks :).
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did it.... I released!

No link yet, as the android market always takes its time with that.

I almost stumbled into my usual habit of abandoning and/or rewriting my current game right before I finish it. I was already thinking about a different graphic-style and setting. To conquer that, I just made what HAD to be done in order to be release-worthy and then just went for it! I'll hopefully receive some positive comments to raise my motivation back up to where it belongs. My engine runs on that stuff. :-D

There are way too few maps/levels/areas/whatever but I plan to add them over time. Although I have a fully working map-editor, it is kinda boring and tiresome to create new maps... maybe I can automate some more. :-)

So, a small "YAY!" and a big "fingers crossed!"...
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that. It's better to get something out there than to let stuff languish (something I'm supremely guilty of).
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is out for some time now and I feel like doing a sum up. A few hundred people downloaded the free version, I haven't received a single crash report and after a few difficulty tweaks, the players seem to get through fine. But... I also didn't receive a single rating and/or comment. :-((((
My initial plan was to release, take the criticism and suggestions I receive into account and then release a Windows- and Mac-version, maybe even try to get it on some gaming sites like Desura. But that plan has been thwarted (so far). I am kinda scared to do marketing for it because I really don't know if the game is good enough. It's a really bad feeling if you are trying to get people to play your game you worked so hard on, just to get bad responses. But I'm not even getting THAT! It seems it's just so mediocre and maybe it has no "soul", I dunno...
Oh well, I'll probably just leave it at that. But here's a gameplay video after all. :-)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes... that weird, depressing feeling when you put something out, and the entire universe seems to give it a pass. I've kinda given up on promoting my work, just putting it out on GDR and Allegro.cc and seeing how far it flies (which would be... not that far!). I'll eventually get motivated to do something about that.

Jungle Mayhem is a good, competent game. It has some good polish, spirit, and it flows well. It's rather fun, too! The problem is that it resides in the 'arcade game' space, which is filled to the point of bursting at the seams with entries. There's no shortage of arcade games, good, bad, and everything in-between, so unless you do something extremely unique or gimmicky, there's little hope of it getting noticed. It's also the type of game that doesn't lend itself well to replays. Once you've finished the game, which is fairly short, there isn't much incentive to revisit it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does turn some people off. It also makes it harder to get prolonged exposure: the guy who is always playing the same game on his lunch break gives you more potential exposure than the guy who plays the game for half an hour and walks away satisfied.

Once upon a time, early in the GDR's history, we had a thread where we were discussing tracking how new games propagate along social channels, and we decided the best thing to do was wait until one of us had a good release ready, and start watching it after announcing the game's release at popular sites. The problem is that by the time one of us had a project ready to launch, the thread (and idea) was long forgotten! And as always... more eyeballs = more chance of feedback and recommendations.

We need to give that another go, methinks. I've seen some absolutely pedestrian Allegro games get really good traction, and always wondered where the coverage was originating from.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sirocco, it looks well made and flows well, etc.

I personally am tired of the whole 15 minute type games that everyone is making, because to me, it feels just gimmicky and as you say without soul. Kinda like dangling a toy in front of a cat trying to make it paw at it. If I'm going to play a game, I don't want to feel like I'm just simply entertaining myself. I want to feel as if it is actually showing me something new or telling me something I had not known before.
Some games try and do that by doing something innovative or different, but usually the whole game just revolves around that one concept and quickly becomes dry. I think what's lacking in a lot of the 15-minute type games is a good story that sucks you in.
I have tried to focus lately on coming up with great stories, but games that have great stories are usually larger than a 15-minute type game and more work to make. I think though, it's the better route to go if you want exposure. otherwise you're just competing with everyone else who is trying to make some gimmicky concept and relying on that one thing to pull themselves through.

Also, as an artist, I know that one way to deepen the mood/story, is with art. A picture can say a thousand words, or however that goes.. If you're just using the same art the entire game, it can dull down the interest as things become repetitive.
yodhe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a competent game, but you need more variation.

No feedback is good feedback, or so to bastardize a saying.

Unfortunately we live in a media saturated environment, and to make "a noise" you need to stand-out or be louder than the rest.

The trick is now you "bang your drum" about this game, whilst you work on your next even better game. All feedback at the end of the day is bullshit, you know your game and "how good" it is, if you need someone else to tell you then you probably need some space from the game, or just like ego-wanking.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote up a really huge long post with thoughts and all this jazz, but really I suppose I need to know your situation here before I start waxing poetic.

This is an Android game, yeah? So, are you making this for 'teh monies', or for fun? What's your ultimate goal with it?

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.