GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Cloudworld
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Development Log - Cloudworld Reply with quote

Yeah, while Kingmaker is one of those long-term projects that might be finished just right about when the universe is about to end, I thought it wise to do some shorter projects on the side as well. Cloudworld is my first foray into the realm of iPhone development, and who knows what that might eventually entail. It should be noted though that this is also a collaborative enterprise with my sister who is quite the skillful artist actually. The game will be a simple one really, you steer the hero Mr Cloudy McJet through the floating islands of Cloudworld, and by acquiring jetpackfuel along the way you need to get as far as possible in order to save the clouds or something.

Here is a picture of what we will call ourselves:

Here are some clouds:

Yes, I develop simultaneously for the computer too, for two reasons. It's easier and faster to try out ideas since I'm not well versed in the whole iPhone game development area of things, and second it's nice for my sister to actually see what becomes of her work (she has no iPhone nearby and we also collaborate long-distance).

The goal is to have this finished by the end of summer, which feels realistic.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks kind of psychedelic in a black and white kind of way. I like it.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaand, here are a bunch of clouds on the iPhone (simulator).

I'm quite new to Objective-C as well, but I read up on it a few weeks back, but unless you keep your knowledge in shape it gets rusty and weak. It kinda feels like trying stuff and hoping nothing breaks right now heh. I really like the Sparrow framework though, but still there are stuff to get used to of course, the flash idead of everything being a container of objects. I haven't done much in flash either before. I was tempted to use cocos2d, but somehow Sparrow lured me in with its minimalistic elegance. Pixelwave seemed promising too, but there haven't been so many updates as of late. Any other cool frameworks I have missed?

Thanks for the comment! The design look of things will probably change but not too much. The psychadelic look will probably disappear into the background when other interesting things appear in the foreground. I'm leaving that to my crazy evil art director (she claimed that title). Not really interested in mimicking other art styles or how things have been done before, being unique is always good right? And that is the aim, how else to compete in the myriad of games that are out there.

Bedtime for me! Cheers!
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some further refinement:

Added some sky, rotation to the clouds to bring forth the illusion of more cloud variation, and a way of spawning clouds that won't clutter the space.

Next update hopefully will have some more gameplay in it, but might take a while though.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, that's pretty cool being able to collaborate on a project with your sister. If I did something like that with my sister we'd... probably have to just cook something :)
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been thinking about it for a few years now since she is an artist, but it wasn't until recently that we really talked about it. However, she isn't very computer literate, or rather game development literate, so we'll see how it goes - and with that I mean all the things one needs to know about the limitations of both what is doable on the device (or in game development generally) technically but also practically. But we're aiming to create rather simple stuff, to begin with at least, so we'll see, but I'm still rather excited about the prospects though. I know she's really good at the creative part and I often like her art style, I couldn't dream of coming up with anything remotely close to her work which is expected of course since I haven't spent a lifetime drawing and painting.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Cloudworld

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.