GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Forbidden Lands - simple dungeon game
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syn9ne
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Forbidden Lands - simple dungeon game Reply with quote

hey everyone. i've been wanting to make a simple game where i could play around with ideas for reusable classes. this would be stuff like inventory/item systems, dialog, shops, menus, map data storage etc... so i started working on a qbasic style adventure game (made in c++). we're talking super simple. the game would essentially be a sandbox for trying out different essential systems used in rpgs and adventure games. in the end, there would be a code bank for quickly implementing these features into future games.

the game has a simple premise, there are 5 zones, each with different tile sets (sand, mountain, forest, canals, underground). each zone consists of a town and a frontier each are 21x21 tiles in size.

the game is played on a single screen showing the map, player stats, inventory, and a console. you can see an example screenshot below. you are a smuggler and start at the first zone and make it to the end by collecting items, making money, and doing smuggling jobs for people.

i'm currently using colored blocks while BadMrBox is making a tile set.

as a side note, i'm also looking to use this project to scout out potential help for future commercial projects, so if you're interested in helping, please let me know.

this mini game will not go commercial and doesn't require rockstar programming skills, so if you're a noob or lurker and hesitant to ask, it's ok to get in contact.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that's a great idea. I should do a similar thing some day.

The simplicity of it is perfect to find "the fun" of the game.
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to do it slowly with my other games by developing reusable classes for audio loading, texture loading, gamepad support, bitmap font and ttf support, etc.. much like PoV's Playground/Foundation.

but this is the first time i've really extended it to common gameplay mechanics.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonus points for remembering Playground/Foundation. :D
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Forbidden Lands - simple dungeon game

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.