GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Whatever the heck PoV is making Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and to compare, my old/current biz card.

And this is something I thought about putting on the back but never did.

Vs the new hotness.

sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. To me it's harder to read than the old one, though (and I even know what it's supposed to say). The 'o' could be misconstrued as an 'A' because of the iris. The 'c' also close to 'e' (think it has to do with the height of the bottom piece).

When I look quick, I see sykronies. :]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the dreaded E.

I'm okay with that though. It's not exactly a real word anyway. :)

In some of the earlier takes on the logo, people were coming back saying they read SykBronies.

Can't have that, can we. ;)

Was a good process.

I ended up with this by taking to Twitter, asking people to read it, and having them tell me what they read. Was good. It brought up a number of interesting issues, such as the H. I constantly have to deal with the WTF pronunciation and spelling of my company name at trade shows, but I'm attached to the name. I've been using Sykhronics for 15 years (since 1998'ish). The only thing changing is the spelling, not the pronunciation (sigh-cron-icks).

Anyways, I've already had the cards printed. In retrospect, I could have once and for all solved the C=E issue by adding a slight cut inside the top, but it would have been inconsistent with the design (single cuts only). If what I really wanted was an E, I could have made it more like a capitol E. Ah well, I don't want to draw too much attention away from the O. I think the O is the focal point of the logo. The other issue that comes up is people not understanding the K. Ah well.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see 1-bit droid sprites from the C64 version of Impossible Mission!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added Spine skeletal animation support today.

Not my character.
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! I wanna incorporate Spine someday as well as it looks amazing. How did integration go for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good, but it was some work. They just recently finished their Kickstarter, so they're still working on a bunch of Import and Playback APIs for various 2D toolkits. Currently there's an SFML implementation, which is a 2D OOP'y C++ library. I took that as my base, and used equivalent functions from my own library.

Without heavily modifying the code, it needed a way to encode packed vertex data (i.e. position, texCoord, color per vertex, which is 4 vertices per piece of 2D art); Then to draw it. It also needed to be told how it should find and read files. And of course, given a PNG file how to load and bind textures.

The API isn't finished though. They need to add a few things (like a deteteTexture), make a few tweaks still. They're probably going to break the API in some places, so that is something to keep in mind. Still, it's perfectly capable of loading artwork, loading a skeleton, and playing back an animation.

Still, I think it's great. This is going to save me so much hassle in the future. A couple days ago I was contemplating how to manually code an intro animation... now I can just build it in Spine. Aside from placing collision (coming soon), I think I can squeeze most of my 2D needs out of it.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can now say from experience this type of animation is a pain in the ass to work with unless you have good libs and tools at your disposal.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can it change keyframes? Can it change keyframes for separate body parts?

What I mean is, pure skeletal animation isn't that powerful, but it would be if I could hot-swap the texture, so I get keyframes with skeletal animation basically. I should look into that library, looks like fun.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the limitations of the API right now: it only supports one Atlas texture (an Atlas is a texture with multiple parts/sprites in it). The tool Spine supports more, but that's not yet in the API.

That said, yes you can swap out parts, or turn them off outright. Just as is, if you're using the prerelease API (which my implementation is based on), you're currently limited to one texture (atlas).

That's why they ran a Kickstarter, to raise some money to bring these sort of features to multiple dev platforms.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good though, will play around with it when I find the time. I think I've got a few hours to burn in two weeks or so.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Printed on Plastic and Paper. Paper were backups, since I heard last minute some freak out by some guy who didn't like what he got from my original printer. Both turned out great. :)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks a lot better on a physical card than the straight image on my display. Might just be me, I don't know. Bothers me a lot less, that's for sure. ;]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm building an engine. Muahahaha!
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect response. ;)
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it html5 related? You seem to be doing a lot of html5 stuff lately.
mandrake
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does Spine compare to Spriter?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Web is one of the targets. But generally it's just very cross platform. I'm testing regularly with the compilers for certain game consoles (regrettably I'm away from home so no devkit here, but I can compile heh), but ya, there's some cool stuff to it.

Of course I just wanted to see who would catch the 'engine' joke, since I think at some point we all developed a stigma for calling things engines.

What I'm making is actually more like Middleware. Though I'm really only making it for me. There are currently no plans to sell it/open it, but who knows. I mainly just don't want to get stuck supporting something that isn't worth the time/money, but I do realize other folks using it are good for helping bullet-proof it.

Some initial goals:
- Highly Cross Platform (PC, Mobile, Console, Web)
- Designed for multiple screens (spoiler) and multiple players (local)
- Asyncronous asset loading and caching.
- Automatic decompression of assets (if compressed).
- Easy Search based asset loading. Ask for a file by name (or basename) and it will find and load it.
- Scripted: using Squirrel for all game logic (like a hybrid of Lua, JavaScript and C++)
- Realtime Editing. Make a change to art or code, and it updates immediately.
- Remote Editing. Like Realtime Editing, Work on the PC, see your changes reflected on a remote device (Android Tablet, etc).
- 2D sprite animation with integrated code triggers (Squirrel FTW)
- 2D cutout animation (Spine)
- Fonts and type (BMFont)
- Graphically hardware accelerated using whatever 3D API is available
- Some rudimentary 3D and shader support (focus is on 3D for 2D games)
- an optional platformer physics/collision engine with a refined workflow where you just make "objects" move and react to events.
- Smart pixel matching to device screen shapes with guides (this is a complicated idea, but basically devices have different resolutions and screen shapes. If we take in to consideration that we can 2x or 3x the screen pixels, we can find and show guidelines where a crop or extra outside space may appear. There would be different modes though. A TV has more resolution than a small LCD screen, so you may actually want to show much more, though a TV also has overscan to be worried about)

Some longer term goals:
- Hitboxes, Hurtboxes, effort so making a fighting game is reasonable
- Make general engine flexible enough to support top-down games as well (i.e. 2D no gravity)
- Rewinding, Slow Motion, Fast Forward
- GGPO inspired perceptually lagless multiplayer sync, for 2-4 players
- Better 3D support (better 3D camera, skeletal animation, etc)
- Optional Bullet Physics integration (3D)
- Optional Box2D Physics integration (2D)

This thing I'm making is actually an amalgamation of several projects I've been doing. You might even say everything in the "Initial Goals" section is actually done, but the work is bringing everything together in to one place.

Actually a large part of this was already working in an earlier project of mine (nicknamed PlayMore), but there were problems in the old structure. The "portable" side was broken (naming conflicts with Linux, ouch), asset management was more convoluted than it needed to be (hybrid search+asset+vram wuht), and the overall structure of the core library wasn't well thought out in a "I'll be wrapping things with a scripting language" sense.

So, this latest incarnation has been about rebuilding the core.

I now constantly test on multiple platforms and compilers. Windows (MinGW/GCC), 64bit Ubuntu (GCC), Web (Emscripten/Clang), Android (GCC), and 3 consoles each with different proprietary C++ compilers (notable omission is Microsoft devices/compilers; I'll do those eventually). Every little piece needs to work and compile on all of my targets before I move on. I'm trying to avoid discovering compiler nuances much much later after more and more code is written.

Asset management is handled by the AssetPool. You never explicitly load files anymore. You request them, and the Pool will deliver them. This way, assets (including script code) can be automatically reloaded by the system when changed. Duplicates and caching are automatically handled.

Requesting assets can be done explicitly (content/art/blah.png), but should done using Search. Do a search for a file by base name (blah), optionally including a parent folder prefix to be more explicit (art/blah). This way, art assets like PNG files can be automatically replaced by processed and texture compressed files without any code changes.

PNG files are a special type of asset called a "Source file". Source files are files that at preferred during development, since tools like Photoshop and others export them directly. This means you can make a change, save it, and the AssetPool can detect the changes and immediately reload it. For release and distribution, processed/compressed files should be loaded and used instead. Squirrel scripts have a .nut file extension. The typical ideal behavior for a file like this is to compress it, giving you a .nut.lzma file. The decompression is handled automatically by the AssetPool. There may also be reasons to pre-compile script files, so a .nut may become a .nut.cnut.lzma by the time it finishes (maybe even .nut.cnut.BE.lzma for a Big Endian swapped 'compiled nut' file).

In some cases, some platforms, typical file systems don't make sense. Either a proxy file is used to describe the path to all files (like on a web server), or an archive file contains a directory and all files.

That about sums up what happens for assets. This is the main work I'm doing right now, trying to get this all right because EVERYTHING relies on assets. Code is an asset, Art is an asset, Sound is an Asset, Maps are assets, Animations are assets, and so on.

The key thing this engine/middleware MUST do is have an extremely fast turn-around time. I should be able to make changes and test them immediately. I should be able to fix typos and logic errors and not have to restart the game at all. If I can't do that, then there is no advantage over writing natively in C/C++, or other middleware/dev tools.

It should be super-simple to have an idea and start prototyping it within minutes, and be able to deploy to people right away (i.e. Web).

Also, anything created SHOULD NOT be throwaway. I should be able to target a wide variety of real platforms with very little friction, using the exact same code. Squirrel isn't a very common scripting language, but even JavaScript has serious limitations on the platforms it can target outside of the Web.

So that's what I'm making. :)

Edited by PoV on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 am; edited 1 time
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mandrake wrote:
How does Spine compare to Spriter?

It actually works, right now, today.

That and playback code is already written. Depending on your platform you may have to write a custom renderer, but all the transformations from the file format are handled for you.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
- Designed for multiple screens (spoiler)
As a multi-monitor user, I find it so sad that so few games add support for them :(

Good example is Skyrim/The Witcher and its kin. Just offer all my GUI stuff on a second screen, saves me tons of time.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
There are currently no plans to sell it/open it, but who knows.

Let me know if you ever want to licence it out as all your cross platform stuff with emscripten would save me a lot of tears :P.
mandrake
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Spriter vs Spine:
That's awesome. Looks like it supports some of the stuff I'm using, so I'll have to check Spine out.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Release date: 202X... ;)

On a more serious note: the ability to change assets on the fly without recompiling or even restarting seems VERY intriguing. I don't want to know how much time I've wasted just restarting the game when changing assets... cool stuff! :)
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.