GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Rico Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Development Log - Rico Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm already in the middle of development, but I still thought it warrants a development log. :-)
"Plain" is my attempt at a platformer with easy to learn mechanics (run, jump, later shoot) but taxing gameplay as the game progresses. The world should be divided into areas, which are again divided into levels. I also plan to add a world view (think Super Mario 3 or Donkey Kong series). Boss fights will also happen at the end of each area. Defeating bosses will give you upgrades, like a higher jump, double jump, underwater breathing, new weapons, ...

Here's a gameplay video from the second level:

Art style will stay simple and not too distracting, the focus should really be on the mechanics and the gameplay. The only "fancy" thing are the pixel particle explosions.

When I start a new game, I always start off by writing and maintaining a "scribble", where I write everything down that comes to mind. Here it is :-) :
Quote:

jetpack
shoot
moving platforms: left-right, up-down, in circle
lava/acid
coins (for points)
keycards (color coded)
doors (opened by keycards or levers)
levers
moving floor
trapdoors (open and close automatically, crush you)
destructible blocks (by shooting)
vines (to swing on)
ladders (to climb up and down)(controls?)
Air vents (which push you up)
pressure plates (must jump on or run over enough?)
clouds (jump through from below, run over on top)

enemies:
mines
drones
shooters
ninjas (like jungle mayhem)
big slow guys
BIG guys
moving blocks (like star warrior)
like ghost from super mario (only hunts you when you look away)
dual hoppers (like donkey kong 3)
hiding enemy (almost indistinguishable from background)

bosses:
enemy that slings itself at you:
first shoots small (harmless) hook between him, you and wall,
then slings itself
ground is partially lava (with moving platforms)
killable by triggering pressure plates to electroduce (or acidify) areas (with him on it)

upgrades:
high jump
double jump
wall hug
underwater unlimited time (kiemen?)
no fall damage (or less fall damage?) (?)
swim through acid without getting hurt

heart upgrades (permanent) (?)

weapon-upgrades:
stun gun
normal gun
machine gun
machine gun with build up (when holding)

Edited by IMakeGames on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good so far. Will there be a bonus for getting all of the gold / coins in a level as you go through it? It'd be interesting to tie the final boss's power to the number of coins you leave behind. The more coins you leave behind, the more powerful he becomes.
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It'd be interesting to tie the final boss's power to the number of coins you leave behind. The more coins you leave behind, the more powerful he becomes.

Woah, really good idea! I love it! That makes coin collecting much more interesting rather than just for plain ol' points hunting. It's neat because if a boss is too hard, you can go back and revisit older levels where you didn't yet get all coins. Giving the boss more health for each coin would also be very easy to do but gives enough variety, so that each coin counts!

The only tricky part is how to make that mechanic clear for the player. Maybe a short "cutscene" at the beginning of the boss fight where his initial health is shown, then the not collected coins appear and he absorbs them, filling his health bar even more.

Love the idea! :-)
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just want to say that this looks nice. the controls seem fluid and straightforward.
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently toying around with background and parallax scrolling...

I'm still not fully happy with it, but I can't tell if it's because I'm a shitty artist or because of some other wonkiness...
I should probably leave that alone for some time and work on something important, heh... :-)
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be just the fact that they're all the same looking and one of them moves quicker than the other, kind of confuses you as to their depth.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parallax is always good. I think what you might be running into is an issue with there being more than one layer for the clouds. Try placing all the clouds in your layer farthest from the player. Save the middle layer for stuff like buildings or huge-arse trees. Seeing two separate clouds moving at different speeds makes your brain go into "WTF" mode.
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, screw it... If anyone wants to play the first three levels (from front to back, without any menu-screens AT ALL ;-)) download them from here:
http://www.planet-wars.net/plain/Plain_preAlpha.jar.zip
It's a runnable JAR, so if you have Java on your computer, it *should* work.
Controls are left, right and up (or space) to jump.
Enjoy :-)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, movement is very tight -- I like that. My cat freaked the fuck out when I ran into one of those mines (or whatever they where) and the "boom" went off :) No bugs or wonkiness to speak of, and it ran at a constant 62 fps.

I like a slower pace with a platformer, so this is right up my alley.

I'm in the late design phase of a game that bears a passing resemblance to this one, but isn't a platformer, so don't freak whenever I get around to posting pics of it. It'll be my next game, after I finish Inimicus later this year.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to do this stream-of-thought style. I like the level introduction effect, with the diamonds or however it is.

Staying green for a moment after walking in the green is great.

Yes! I stood under a platform and it destroyed me on the way down. That should be an achievement. Hint, hint. ;)

Oh yeah, 60fps for me too. Not sure about the sound effect for jumping, but obviously this is a demo. The coin grab sfx is good, though.

There's a little "warbling" with the camera once it reaches its destination (centering on the player). It's like a (very) miniature earthquake. Is that by design? (It's not bothersome if so, but it is a little bit unexpected.)

Excellent. The platforms crunch me when I'm hanging halfway off the edge and a ceiling gets in the way. Sure wish there were a checkpoint right before these first platforms for those of us that enjoy subjecting the main character to these sadistic judgments. ;)

Have you considered allowing players to spend some number of coins to create a checkpoint manually? The farther from the next checkpoint you are, the more it costs.

Did you put collision detection on all of the little coin particles? It's interesting to see that. Works great either way. Is it just on the walls that the collision checks? Or my imagination entirely?

800x480, it's an interesting screen resolution.

It doesn't look like you can suffer any kind of fall damage. Probably just as well, but I had to try.

Oh shoot! When I got near the right edge of level 1, it made me automatically walk out of the level and leave behind 3 coins! Help!

I've fallen in a water pit early on level 2 and cannot escape, I think there were coins in there I was after. As much as it pains me to do to this poor little guy, I'm gonna have to drown him so he can restart the level.

Ohhhhh now I see you can "jump" as many times as you want while in the water. I totally didn't get that at first. It wasn't until level 3 here that I figured it out (a moment too late, as it tragically were).

I'd love some kind of tool or technique that let me disarm those evil ground bombs.

Collision detection all seems pretty solid overall. The up/down tandem of moving platforms crushed me that time.

Looks good to me so far. I'm glad it doesn't keep track of how many times you died along the way. ;)
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice controls. No bugs found. Really nice style :).
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your feedback, guys! I was already thinking I'm getting stuck in a rut and not see the glaring mistakes anymore because I'm so used to them.
Quote:
Oh yeah, 60fps for me too. Not sure about the sound effect for jumping, but obviously this is a demo. The coin grab sfx is good, though.

It is supposed to run on smartphones and tablets, so 60 fps on the desktop is a necessity! ;-) You didn't like the jump sound? Too cartoony? Or just bad? I thought it's ok...
Quote:
There's a little "warbling" with the camera once it reaches its destination (centering on the player). It's like a (very) miniature earthquake. Is that by design? (It's not bothersome if so, but it is a little bit unexpected.)

Hmm... I see what you mean. That's probably because I'm using floating point numbers for almost everything (including camera and player coordinates), but restrict drawing to the pixel grid. I might be able to reduce the effect by not moving the camera anymore when it's already close to its target.

About the checkpoint-topic: I'm in kind of a design dilemma there. There's two things I want in the game at all costs:
1.) a health system. I don't want one-hit deaths (except for things like mines) from mistakes.
2.) unlimited attempts. I don't want to the player to lose all the progress they made in a level.
But, players today tend to want savepoints sprinkled across the map like crazy. And having savepoints before every possibility to take damage in combination with unlimited attempts, it kinda defeats the purpose of the health mechanic. Only have little health left? Doesn't matter, if you die, you respawn with full health almost right where you died.
Currently I'm thinking of offering two modes: a "newschool" one, where there are many savepoints across each map. And an "oldschool" (harder) one with only one (or two) intermediate savepoints per level...
Any thoughts on this?

Quote:
Did you put collision detection on all of the little coin particles? It's interesting to see that. Works great either way. Is it just on the walls that the collision checks? Or my imagination entirely?

The particles collide with everything that can be considered solid ground. That includes moving platforms. But not entities like the player or other coins.

Quote:
800x480, it's an interesting screen resolution.

It's one of the most prominent resolution for Android devices. The game should run on every device from 480x320 to 1000+x1000+. I need to do some scaling so that players with larger screens don't have an advantage. Try resizing the window. It should scale in discrete steps. :-)

Quote:
It doesn't look like you can suffer any kind of fall damage. Probably just as well, but I had to try.

I just implemented it right now. I want players to perceive height as a danger itself. They should become cautions when they encounter a cliff they can't see down or a steep ascend. Otherwise, I'd need to put acid pits and/or mines everywhere. By adding fall damage, I can let the ground itself do the dirty work ;-)

Quote:
Ohhhhh now I see you can "jump" as many times as you want while in the water. I totally didn't get that at first. It wasn't until level 3 here that I figured it out (a moment too late, as it tragically were).

Hmm.... I didn't think about that. Having played so many games where you can swim in water, it didn't occur to me that this mechanic has to be explained... Thanks for the hint! Although, I'm not sure how to convey the mechanic to the players... ???

Quote:
I'm in the late design phase of a game that bears a passing resemblance to this one, but isn't a platformer, so don't freak whenever I get around to posting pics of it. It'll be my next game, after I finish Inimicus later this year.

Uhuhuhuuuu, can't wait! :-D
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You didn't like the jump sound? Too cartoony? Or just bad? I thought it's ok...

It's not "bad," cartoony might kind of describe it. But in hindsight (hindsound?), it's pretty similar to a Mario game jumping sound, which obviously worked out pretty well.

Quote:
checkpoints

In Splosion Man, which is a fantastic game everyone should play, they had a "normal" mode with checkpoints and a "hardcore" mode without checkpoints, which you unlocked after completing normal mode. That sounds fairly similar to what you're talking about, and it seemed to work well enough (I personally had no patience for hardcore mode ;))

Maybe for the jump repeatedly to "swim" thing, you could put an indicator next to the droplets (your "water life") basically saying "press jump to surface" or something. After the player demonstrates that they can do it properly (after level 1, or after the first water area, or some such thing), you could stop displaying the tip, maybe.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jump sound was a little cartoony, but the bad part is that (on my system) it was way too loud. Borderline painfully loud.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have finally decided on how to scale difficulty. I plan to go for 4 modes:

easy (kirby):
unlimited lives
no fall damage
double life
many save points

normal (new school):
unlimited lives
fall damage
many save points

hard (old school):
5 lives
fall damage
few save points

insane (contra)
1 live
fall damage
no save points

Should give both casual and "hardcore" gamers enough satisfaction. Not sure yet if I should lock levels on higher difficulties until the player has completed them in the lower ones...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive difficulty levels are, IMO, great things. With each iteration you make most things just a little bit harder, and the overall effect is smooth.

Quote:

Not sure yet if I should lock levels on higher difficulties until the player has completed them in the lower ones...

Are there better rewards for playing on the higher difficulty levels?
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are there better rewards for playing on the higher difficulty levels?

Hmmm, well, what exactly IS a reward? I know newer games go all for the "achievements" route and the current consoles made them even one of the core mechanics. When you beat a level at a difficulty, it gets unlocked in the higher difficulty setting. But what kind of reward can you really give to players beating something on the highest difficulty?
I haven't really planned on having a backstory to the game, so I can't simply present a rescued princess at the end... or can I? ;-)

.... maybe a little story (even if 4th wall breaking) would be really what is needed?

Huh, what did I find here? :-D
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to work on the long due performance improvements for Android. The problem with Android as opposed to Desktop is that it's garbage collector is f***ing nuts. A GC cleanup on Android takes about 50ms, sometimes even more on my hardware. As it's the nature of GCs, it runs whenever it pleases, so it effed up my ingame framerate considerably, even if it runs only every couple of seconds.
The tried and true approach is to simply not allocate memory in times when you can't tolerate lags... or, in my case, in-game. Sucks, but it's reality. :-(

I cleaned up every "new"-call I could find, replacing them with allocation pools and the-like.

But there were still GC-calls every now and then. What the...
As I painfully had to find out, using iterators allocates memory... So I also had to replace those with cumbersome for(int i = 0;i < length;i++) whenever possible.

Performance is kinda good now! :-)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hmmm, well, what exactly IS a reward?

In a game like your's, usually playing on a harder difficulty gets you a better or more robust ending. Either that, or it unlocks more content after you finish the game. Perhaps you could have Super Mario World - style Special Stages that are an extra challenge.

On a side note, I'm fixing to do some Android development with 4.1, so perhaps that will be a smoother (pun not intended) experience. My company phone is stuck at 2.3.4, which has definite moments of "WTF" lag at seemingly random intervals.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally got a chance to play this. Very nice!

Some notes:

- The player does some weird bouncing while on a platform and the camera is moving (1 pixel up/down). It's distracting!
- Coin image overlaps the count count when it's 2 digits
- Waiting for moving platforms annoys the hell out of me, especially when I die. Perhaps a fast-foward feature that makes the platforms move faster? I don't know. All I know is that it makes me very impatient and angry
- Had constant 63fps
- Loved how the background/foreground move. Looks natural
- Camera is a little slow for my taste, but overall works well
- No footstep sounds?
- Animation looks great
- At first when I was going through the "next level" transition, I thought the game bugged out, or I walked off the screen. It wasn't obvious the first time. Not sure how to improve that first-time experience

Looking forward to the next playable drop. Knowing that there are powerups has me very interested. :]
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would take N times more work in the level design department, but it'd be cool if each level in the game "evolved" as you progressed to higher difficulty levels. As you played through each scale of difficulty, you would recognized the levels from before, but you would also notice terraneous evolutions along the way. On a simpler tilt, these could consist of additional spikes, expanded green slime pools, more / faster platforms, and the like. On a more complex tilt, you could excavate entirely new additions into the levels: perhaps the dead-ending pit in the ground from "easy" gives way to a fresh tunnel system with additional coins, monsters, and green slime pits during "normal" mode, in turn yielding to a more menacing underground tunnel system featuring insta-death abysses instead of the slightly forgiving green slime pools on the final difficulty level.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threads like this are why I love GDR.
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the newest version:

Some highlights:
7 finished levels
automatic saves on finished levels
a jetpack level
4 difficulties
High-jump ability in the 4th level
A jetpack level!
Crappy, half functional menus
Better sound (hopefully)
A FSCKING JETPACK-LEVEL! :-D

I tried to incorporate your awesome feedback, maybe you find a little bit of yourself in the game!

Things to watch out for/unfinished stuff:
There's no ingame menu yet. If you want to leave a level, quit the game and start again, sorry! (the game gets saved automatically on every level completed)
Menu-buttons and labels are misplaced. Not much I can do about it now, it's apparently a bug in a third-party library that gets fixed soon hopefully.
I haven't yet tested saving on Windows-machines, but it *should* create a directory in $APPDATA$ called "Plain" where it stores its files. On Unix-based machines, this should be ~/.Plain/. I'd be glad to receive a "works" or a "doesn't work" from you.
The jetpack stuff is pretty new, so it's missing proper polish and might contain a bug or two. There's a limit on how long you can use your thrusters if you're in air (5 seconds, recharches when on ground or not using thrusters), but the HUD-portion for that isn't finished yet.
If you've finished level 7, the game might crash. In any case, there's nothing more after that, so you're not missing out on anything.

I hope I'm not throwing out new version too fast... but I'm jumpy like a child on christmas because I really like developing this game and I want people to play it! :-)
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean about the menu labels being off. I don't know how much faith I'd have in a library that couldn't render the labels in the proper location. If they can't render text right, can you really trust them to handle the menu tasks themselves properly? Maybe, sure, but...

I get just slightly confused at the beginning menu. I try to use the arrow keys to navigate the menu, but you have to use the mouse. I think the "play" option being larger than the rest made me think I'd be able to do that; I thought that I would cursor down, and "Options" would then become larger (and "play" would return to normal size). Took me all of 5 seconds to figure it out, but I thought I'd mention it.

Small bug. When I click "play" and reach the next screen, I click "difficulty" which defaults to normal. However, the tooltip on the right says "Easy (Kirby) ..." instead of the "normal" description.

The water sound effect is really good, I like it. Footsteps are good too.

Currently resisting the temptation to go into the heroUpgradesNormal.xml file and give myself all of the powerups. ;)

Before I started the game, I manually created a ~/.Plain/ directory and threw a couple of random files in there to see if the game would get mad at that kind of conflict. It doesn't seem to matter. Do you plan to check if that directory already exists somehow? I wonder how most applications handle potential naming conflicts. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ah you weren't lying about the fall damage. Poor little guy...

I don't know what this bubble is, I am afraid to touch it, it looks evil. noooooo! It killed me! I thought maybe it would be health or something. It did look evil, though. I should have known better.

Hm, there were a couple of coins on level 3 way high up in the sky, and if you wanted them, then you couldn't get back up. I had to jump down, and it was a very long fall. The little guy didn't survive. Maybe there's water down there to land in...

I did find some green slime. It's a clever mechanic. It's kind of unfair, but you'll figure it out on normal, get the checkpoint, and then you'll remember how to do it right off the bat on harder modes.

I don't know, I can't seem to clear the large green slime pond without dying in the process. Is it possible to get those coins without suiciding afterward?

Does falling into the water negate potential fall damage right away, or does the water need to be deep enough?

Hm, perhaps now that I have learned high jump, I could go back to those "unreacheable without suiciding" coins in level 3 and have a way back up...

Oh gees does this bubble shoot lasers at you? No, he just gets mad when he sees you.

Oh this is too bad, I accidentally kicked the crate on level 6 into the green slime, and now I can't make the jump. :(

Ohhhhh it put me at checkpoint 1 on level 7, but it didn't remember that I already had a jetpack. This little dude takes a lot of punishment...

Haha, operating a jetpack underwater seems like a bad idea, if this were real life. ;)

The jetpack seems to control fairly well, and it is a great idea for mixing up the gameplay a little bit. It definitely needs the "fuel remaining" bar, though. I'm gonna wait to deal with level 7, with the checkpoint / jetpack thing going on.

Everything looks pretty good so far!
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I love your comments and how you just write them as you see/experience stuff. It's almost like I can see into your way of thinking while playing! It's so great to see the game from another perspective because I myself get so blind for many obvious things which others like you spot immediately. Big thanks!!! :-)

mikedoty wrote:
I see what you mean about the menu labels being off. I don't know how much faith I'd have in a library that couldn't render the labels in the proper location. If they can't render text right, can you really trust them to handle the menu tasks themselves properly? Maybe, sure, but...

Normally I would agree with you but in this case it's not the library itself at fault, but an addon-library I am using to convert TTF fonts into BitmapFonts on the fly. And it only happens if you combine this "fourth-party" font-creation with the library's UI-system. Normal text-drawing works fine. The bug-report is filed, in any case. :-)
mikedoty wrote:

I get just slightly confused at the beginning menu. I try to use the arrow keys to navigate the menu, but you have to use the mouse. I think the "play" option being larger than the rest made me think I'd be able to do that; I thought that I would cursor down, and "Options" would then become larger (and "play" would return to normal size). Took me all of 5 seconds to figure it out, but I thought I'd mention it.

I just wanted to draw attention to the "more important" button on each screen. Keep in mind that my primary target device is Android where no such thing as a selection (or cursor keys) exist, just finger touches.

Quote:
Small bug. When I click "play" and reach the next screen, I click "difficulty" which defaults to normal. However, the tooltip on the right says "Easy (Kirby) ..." instead of the "normal" description.

Good eye, fixed!

Quote:
Currently resisting the temptation to go into the heroUpgradesNormal.xml file and give myself all of the powerups. ;)

Heh, you can try! But wall hugging is not fully functional yet. Double jumping should be though. :-)

Quote:
Hm, there were a couple of coins on level 3 way high up in the sky, and if you wanted them, then you couldn't get back up. I had to jump down, and it was a very long fall. The little guy didn't survive. Maybe there's water down there to land in...

That's a level bug. You should be able to get up again. I probably thought I was in a level where you already found high-jump when I designed that. Fixed.

Quote:
I did find some green slime. It's a clever mechanic. It's kind of unfair, but you'll figure it out on normal, get the checkpoint, and then you'll remember how to do it right off the bat on harder modes.
I don't know, I can't seem to clear the large green slime pond without dying in the process. Is it possible to get those coins without suiciding afterward?

Not entirely sure what you mean. Except for one single coin, you shouldn't need to touch green slime/acid at all. Which part in which level do you mean?

Quote:
Does falling into the water negate potential fall damage right away, or does the water need to be deep enough?

Yes it does and yes, it needs to be a certain depth. Not saying how much tough. ;-)

Hm, perhaps now that I have learned high jump, I could go back to those "unreacheable without suiciding" coins in level 3 and have a way back up...

I plan that every level should be completable 100% with the abilities you currently have. Otherwise players might get frustrated because they don't know they'll get upgrades later. Maybe in later levels I'll introduce these seemingly unreachable parts.

Quote:
Oh this is too bad, I accidentally kicked the crate on level 6 into the green slime, and now I can't make the jump. :(

That will probably change. I'll make the crate bigger and put a "stopper"-block so you can't trap yourself. Forcing players to kill themselves is a big no-no.

Quote:
Ohhhhh it put me at checkpoint 1 on level 7, but it didn't remember that I already had a jetpack. This little dude takes a lot of punishment...

Gnah, nasty bug, many thanks! It should work now! :-)

Quote:
Haha, operating a jetpack underwater seems like a bad idea, if this were real life. ;)

Yeah, I thought about completely disabling the yetpack underwater, so it becomes a deathtrap. But it doesn't add much to the gameplay. Right now, being in water or acid (or any other fluid) will just dampen your speed. Which makes acid much more dangerous because you can't escape as fast.

Quote:
The jetpack seems to control fairly well, and it is a great idea for mixing up the gameplay a little bit. It definitely needs the "fuel remaining" bar, though. I'm gonna wait to deal with level 7, with the checkpoint / jetpack thing going on.

The fuel remaining bar is in! If you'd like to test again, download the file at the same location:

edit: here's a video of me playing the jetpack level:
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Rico Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.