GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Video Project Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't that just relativity for both? just because we can't comprehend the "quantum side" doesn't mean it's not relative at it's own scale relative to ours.. or am i misinterpreting things?
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Hanson-White wrote:
isn't that just relativity for both? just because we can't comprehend the "quantum side" doesn't mean it's not relative at it's own scale relative to ours.. or am i misinterpreting things?

I think you have a slightly different meaning for relativity. According to relativity theorie, things like time become "relative" when you approach lightspeed, for example. AFAIK, people have even measured time differences between a clock in a plane flying around the globe and a clock on the ground... there it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hafele%E2%80%93Keating_experiment
So basically, time passes at a different pace on the plane(s), relative to the observers on the ground. But this can be fully and correctly measured, given precise enough clocks.
The uncertainty principle on the other hand is a different beast. Particles have two properties, the momentum (speed, if you want) and the position in space. The uncertainty principle states that, the more you know about the momentum of a particle, the less you can know about its position. I know that can boggle the mind how that is possible. I don't claim to fully understand it myself. Maybe some wiser men can shed more light on this subject (and/or correct my post).

My advice is that before you question these principles and theories, you should first understand them. I know some of them sound unbelievable, but before you haven't fully grasped what they are about, you can't really make profound statements about them. Approaching these highly complex topics with simple common sense and empiricism isn't going to get you very far.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

i was bored so I made this..
yodhe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically we seem to make predictions about the universe, or rather our brain makes models of the universe out of the data/information it receives. The accuracy of these predictions, or modelling, is relative to our general size as human beings and our sense-organs, the "size" of reality we interact with as stuff. "Science/Empiricalism" helps us make better predictions, by accumalating and transmiting data we couldn't obtain with our sense-organs on their own, but it is still merely a prediction.
Ultimately we lose certainly with our predictions, until we are left we various possible states/models. This doesn't mean that ALL the various models are correct simulataenously, but rather we can't say with any certainty which model/prediction is actually occurring. The cat is not in a DEAD/ALIVE state, but merely we don't know whether the cat is DEAD or ALIVE, so we create a new set, called DEAD/ALIVE, which has roughly equally chance of being DEAD or ALIVE, but we can't tell until we measure the DEAD/ALIVE state.
Time is also not a thing in its own right, but rather it is a property of space, and should be correctly referred to as space-time. Heisenburg's uncertainty principle, seems to postulate this as position-vector.
But basically it all comes down to the fact, we model with universe with our brains/mind and don't actually perceive an objective reality, but predict out of the "chaos/plenum" what we think/perceive is going on. Science ultimately helps us make better predictions, but also suggests that we can't predict with 100% precision.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe time exists- no past, no future. And I also have theories that nothing moves at all- motion is simply an altered state of presence..

You can get a good sense of how things are connected when you can begin to predict how things work. I've developed this a bit by looking at space itself and imagining reality without any edges. my whole book kind of goes into this.

the reason why you'd assume you don't know whether the cat is alive or dead is because our senses have limits before it begins to become a blur.. We still sense it, but we just can't feel it intensely enough to discern an absence from a presence based upon the details we've conditioned ourselves to use to make that decision.

Our whole growth as a child is designed to increasingly seclude our being from reality by improving our perception of separation between it and ourselves so that we can believe we are something profound within it that has greater identity. It's like a method of escape from nothing which give us illusion of being somewhere. We in a way cut off circulation of our senses with things further away. I know this because I have memories of being a baby where my sense of depth was missing and I could see things right in front of me that were suppose to be far away, and I also experienced other odd things too regarding spaces..
but my main reasons why I come to these types of conclusions is because I can see how space moves/presents itself at any given moment.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

bored so i think turtle game..

Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

bored so i think marionette game
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

bored so i think schrodingers cat game
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

bored so i make game idea inspired by a friend named mario

Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, you are quite prolific. What do you use for your video editing/encoding, if you don't mind my asking?
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a logitech quickcam webcam thing i bought years ago.. it has a thing i can record wmv files, so then I just edit them in windows movie maker, then upload to youtube..
If i download anything from youtube to use in a video, i dl to a mp4, and have to use a different program AVS video editor.. they put watermark on it, but there is trickery you can do to cut it out.. i tend to save it as wmv and then reedit it in windows move maker.. then post to youtube..
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very nice camera that records great 720p vids, but it saves them as uncompressed MOVs, which is fucktarded. Quicktime can die in a goddamn fire.

Ahem. Anyway I don't mind making vids, but the editing and reencoding process has always been annoying to me, so I'm always on the lookout for good tools to simplify that.
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco, MOV files encoded with H264 can be renamed to MP4 to play nice with most Windows apps. MOV supports a ton of shit that generally isn't used by the device that initially encodes the file so there's no harm in doing this.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

bored so i make icecream video with animals
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

Animals love it
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trippy. Reminds me that I need to get back into lucid dreaming one of these days. Er... nights, really.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex.

I'm not sure if you do much freelance pixel game artwork these days, but I know these guys are looking for a "very talented + reliable artist that can handle hi-res pixel art and animation (think early to mid-90's arcade cabinets)."

http://www.pixeljam.com/

~5 month paid gig, starting relatively soon.

If you're interested, let me know, I can PM you the contact details.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

I use to be able to do lucid dreaming sirocco, but haven't been doing much of it lately.. though I have been having strange semi-sleep episode things..
PoV, eh.. well, even though I haven't been feeling well past weeks and have stopped making art, I think I'm getting better, but I realize I have to make money.. so it might interest me depending upon what it involves.

here's an interesting video I made about evolving robot monkeys:
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

And now another video I made about a chimp robots!!
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

Robot Chimp Bruce Lee Cyborg NOW!!!!!!
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

Robotic Tarzan Chimp Man battles!
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's better than most of the stuff on TV. Bonus points for Bruce Lee.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks..
I been having a whole bunch of weird ideas lately pertaining to mechanical things. I wish I had a ton of junk to build stuff out of. :P
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Development Log - Video Project Reply with quote

another robot chimp is running around: http://youtu.be/8Uye0b-rCfU
probably not as good as others..
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Video Project Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.