GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Flake Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to work on some mechanical looking tiles, but I tend to suck at metal/machine looking things..
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edited the tiles.. to fill in gaps.. idk if it look ok. i guess so
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about? That looks pretty awesome to me. (I prefer the filled in version, too).
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't be the pretty girl who tries to tell everybody how awful she looks in all the pictures you take of her . ;)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:] To be honest, given what I see in the screenshots I kind of hope this will turn into a full on side-scroller...
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:P
I find it interesting how easy it can be to imagine how things will look, but almost always, things never end up looking how you imagine it, because I guess the imagination doesnt really look like the things you are looking at.. or something.. it can be frustrating, but also funny when you get unexpected results that turn out good. I don't know if a full on side-scroller would work with the type of story I want to invoke. I want all the characters to have some pertinence and most of the story will be in character dynamics(gaining allies and battling others,etc,streetfighter style).. I imagine a lot of back and forth exploring, maybe parts of the world becoming altered as you unravel the story.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you don't use enough specular highlights and contrast for your metal stuff. The result looks more plastic as a result. I love the shapes you're using and they look plenty tech-y, it's just the shading and contrast that should suggest a more metallic look.

Loving the color scheme for that stuff btw. Lots of pastel midrange tones, looks tasty :3
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.. there's different types of metal. My dad works with metal, and use to have a whole section of junk in the backyard/garage that was just tons of metal parts. Metal is mostly just dull greys with a bit of shine, but the specular reflective ones usually are coated with some sort of chrome to make it look snazzy. Something that is meant to be structural shouldn't really be all jazzed out. I get what you're saying though and might add a bit of specular stuff here and there to highlight specific details and make stuff pop.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Hanson-White wrote:
I tend to suck at metal/machine looking things..

I was mostly referring tho this. To me, it looks fine and techy enough, but the parts where you feel like it's lacking, some specular highlights might help. Speculars aren't always about the surface being shiny either, but because light catches on tiny bolts and angles too, which creates some fine highlights. Some edge highlighting without speculars might similarly push the tech look of an object.

If that makes sense? Like you said, it's not something to go overboard with, but might come in handy for those parts where you feel like the volumes feel too fuzzy and organic.

If you look at the one copper piece that has the extra highlights, that's exactly and only what I mean :). Man, it's so fun to see some fresh pixel stuff from you, I'm getting all reminiscent of fun times. I should pop in at Pixelation.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yea, that makes sense. I'll need to experiment with the edges a bit.
and thank, yea I have been visiting pixelation lately, seems slower there than I remember it to be.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's an update:
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's looking good. The little bit of highlighting makes a difference.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.. basically what I did was begin to focus on the dark lines I had originally used to outline the shapes. I thought that if these lines essentially signify an edge(in most cases), then they should catch the light how Gil had suggested. It ended up making things look sharper and more metal looking. It wasn't as simple as just lightening the edges though, I had to be selective with it and take into consideration the direction of the light I wanted to convey.
I'm really pleased with the results so far.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use (or perhaps abuse) the emboss tool in Animator when I wanted to highlight something. I'd set it to a low strength and wave it over a small area where I figured light would hit an edge. I've got a better grasp of things now, so I don't bother to do that anymore.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see shiny, and it makes me :D
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye out on not overdoing the shinys though. Use them scarcely to highlight important bits and pieces. If you put shiny everywhere it only burns the viewers eyes and the whole scene appears restless and crowded which decreases readability, because the eyes don't know where to put the focus.

I like the calmness (it's easy on the eyes) of the previous version without the shinys. Maybe there could be two versions of each tile, some with and some without shinys to find a good balance and to emphasize only that which is important to recognize?

Or maybe even reserve shinys for moving foreground objects like players, enemies, etc. to make them stand out from the background.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also appreciative of how your foliage turned out. It has great attention to detail, and seems 'organic', rather than a repetitive texture slapped on for effect.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm.. I'll have to experiment with that Dennis once I have more tiles to get a more overall feel of the scene. I don't want it to look too shiny for similar reasons.
thanks Sirocco, I'm still uncertain exactly how the foliage will turn out. The current tuffs were more of an experiment to try and get a feel for how to make some organic stuff attached to the metal parts.. I kind of want to see if I can get it to appear as if the metal environment is becoming overtaken by plants, etc.
The reasoning for the foliage is just to have some contrast with the metal, but I'm not certain yet how much I'll add.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that looks great :)

Like Dennis said, the final step is applying where necessary, but that's something you do once you hit complete mock-up stage I guess :)

Seeing these tasty tiles, I'm thinking back to my old experiments with generated shadows, that was fun (I even got as far as making normal maps for my pixel art for stuff like day/night effects or flashlights). I guess it would be pretty hard to apply on complex edge lighting like this though.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks gil, yeah, I wouldn't know how to do that shadow thing.

I think I've gotten to a point with this project where spending all day on it feels like a waste of time.. so.. not sure what to do. These things just tend to be endless dreams that are hard to wake up from, or rather they turn into nightmares that force me to wake up so I can't continue working on it. I don't know.
Maybe I just need a long break.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to make a bad-ass vertical shooter. Something in the line of Under Defeat, perhaps. But the massive amount of high-quality art assets I'd need to bring to the table always stops me from bothering with it. The code would be trivial compared to the artwork (one of the few times I'm going to mention "code" and "trivial" in the sentence and not feel awkward about it).
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm..
I wonder if it is the dynamic between art and code that is frustrating me.. Where time is lost switching between the two. Because usually that forces my brain to have to switch gears and think differently, and one frustration might lead to becoming frustrated about the other.. I also get more frustrated with my art because I'm my worst critique.. Doing code is usually relaxing because I just hit keys and it's fairly straight forward compared to art that is more interpretive and could look a variety of ways.. It often makes me feel weird seeing a wip sprite and that could be part of the issue.. Maybe if I had more complete art assets it would make things easier to work on everything.
often though I dont know what art assets I need until I am coding something and see that I need to make it..
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use placeholder boxes, circles, triangles and other fancy geometric shapes to delay the need for art until you've got most of the code fleshed out.

I wrote my first game that way. Every time I could later put in a real sprite and axe another placeholder and testing the game again with more complete graphics gave me a small motivation boost to continue.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I'm doing that- using placeholders.. The problem arose when I began to try and make some graphics, and I realized it wasn't looking how I wanted it to (usually the case- my mind can see things clearer than my hand..) so I began to get demotivated. I want to be able to see some graphics in it, but maybe I should wait until most the code is done before switching over.. Might be interesting making graphics for a something with a more rounded code because then I can just focus entirely on the look and maybe have a better idea of what is needed or isn't needed.
Oh well..
I'm slowly coding- doing a few bits every day or so whenever I feel up to it. Sometimes I just stare at it and try and think what to do :P
I have a pretty good idea on how I intend it, but I need to try and make an actual level and see if the puzzle aspect works as I thought.
I have some interesting twists planned for the game, but I'm not sure how to pull it off visually yet.. and also need to still code most of it.
It's like I'll be combining 3.. possibly 4 play styles.. should be interesting, but a lot of work!! I have most of the first play style done, and part of the second.. third play style will be more tricky..
you guys probably have no idea what I'm talking about.. :P
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to do the programming when you don't have the art. So is the other way around. I tend to switch between the two to keep the balance. For me it's almost a chicken-egg problem!
The good thing is that the two disciplines are so vastly different from each other. If I don't feel like doing the former, changes are good I feel like doing the latter or vice versa. :-)

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.