GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Shut up and Die! Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Shut up and Die! Reply with quote

My development process currently consists of jumping atop my desk and randomly pounding my keyboard and mouse with my ballsac. If anything good comes of the effort, I keep it. You probably don't want to see the stuff I've decided to toss out.

Who knows what this will become?

EDIT: Changed thread to reflect game's final name.

Edited by Sirocco on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:11 pm; edited 1 time
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like it has potential, I'd like to see a lot of nice and gruesome gibbing and death particle effects to give the feeling of destroying the swordmen some real grip, but what happened to the agriculture simulator?
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

but what happened to the agriculture simulator?

Later this year. This is just my weekend project, so don't expect anything epic in scale.
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that background makes me feel like something is going to jump out of it. like one of those 3d eye tricks
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of taking this in a slightly different direction. Before, I was wanting to make a straight side-scrolling shooter. Then I started to think of all that unused space hanging overhead, and my thoughts turned down an alley. There's a lot of filthy junk back here, and a few dead hookers, but I think I can make something happen.

I'm using the code from I Dream in CGA, and tossed in the soft-shaders from Moai. I have a semi-playable build going that looks almost exactly like the mockup I posted above.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camstudio was being derpy, hence the green flickering and border. I'm too lazy to edit it out for a simple vid like this. It's just me playing around with an early build. This is around 8 hours of coding and artwork, so I'm just getting my feet wet.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nifty so far.. I keep wanting to imagine myself drawing lines through that maze thing in the background. Feels like some sort of labyrinth.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking this in a different direction than I originally planned, and will be turning it into a 1 player + 3 bots game. You'll pick one of four different characters, who look identical aside from their color, and try to get all of them to the end of a long stage, where you'll have a hard boss battle. Each character has a different ability that will make the boss battle easier, as well as making the trip through the level easier. So you're encouraged to keep everyone alive.

This also lets me get in some good AI coding, which is always interesting.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Encouraged. That sounds like an invitation to me!
carra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the style of the background, that geometry. I notice you have 3 layers of scroll, if I can make a suggestion, make the farthest layer a bit darker (or lower its contrast) because, as I see it, the "statue" at the second layer does not stand out enough.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carra wrote:
I like the style of the background, that geometry. I notice you have 3 layers of scroll, if I can make a suggestion, make the farthest layer a bit darker (or lower its contrast) because, as I see it, the "statue" at the second layer does not stand out enough.

The colors aren't final, so expect tinkering. There's a fourth parallax layer very close to the bottom of the screen. I didn't want it to detract from the playing field, so I made it extremely unobtrusive.

Last pic is from the main menu.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:

Just because I can...

Glowing orange guy - Born from the fire of a distant sun, this fierce warrior causes great damage to any unshielded enemy, clearing entire screens with ease. Unfortunately, his attacks prove very ineffectively against enemy shields.

Baby blue guy - Hailing from the coldest extremes of Minnesota, this nomadic creature fires projectiles that slow the movement speed of oncoming hordes. His attacks do not cause much damage, but you cannot deny his usefulness as a facilitator.

Crazy yellow guy - Yellow to reflect his extreme cowardice, this creature fires almost useless energy orbs at the enemy. Nobody likes this character; he stands out to even the bad guys as a terrible character. Use this to your advantage as the enemies often focus upon this cowardly participant. Your party will also enjoy a 30 second power increase when this character shuts up and dies, owing to their relief at not having to deal with him any longer.

White guy - The leader of the unit, this character can either fire upon the enemy to deliver an ordinary amount of damage, or he can slowly regenerate the health of his troops by focusing his healing weapon upon them. He cannot heal and attack at the same time.
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually a pretty good name; As in, I can see people wanting to talk about *because* of the name.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's actually a pretty good name; As in, I can see people wanting to talk about *because* of the name.

I hope, at least. Now I just have to fashion a small game that lives up to the name.

Title screen is done, and I'm retiring for the night. Over the weekend I'll tackle the friendly AI, then start making some enemies.

@doty

Heh, coolness. Some good ideas in there, really. I was thinking of having one character be a shield bearer, with a light, low-accuracy weapon but a wide-area shield that everyone can duck under when missiles and stuff come in. I'm also thinking of making one character with a powerful missile launcher, but no sidearm. So that one would be good for knocking out aerial targets and mid-bosses. Dunno about the third one -- perhaps a gunner/medic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took much of the day off to spend with friends. That was quite interesting.

Tonight I'm putting in some time on the movement model. All four players will share the same model (read: code) as will any on-foot enemies. The bots use virtual gamepads for input, and press keys and buttons to get where they need to go, and do what they want to do. Right now I'm concentrating on getting the bots to hold a position relative to the player; testing seems to indicate I'm done with that.

The code will pile on quickly as chunks are added to avoid incoming hits, or reposition for skill usage. There will also be a "turbo" mode bots can use to overtake the player if they are being left behind, or need to get close in a hurry (shield bearer, for example). Ordinarily they move at the same speed as the player.
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you going to base the code that lets the AI catch up on the code that mario kart uses to let the computers behind you cheat and drive faster...
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedoty wrote:
are you going to base the code that lets the AI catch up on the code that mario kart uses to let the computers behind you cheat and drive faster...

Hah... rubber-banding, indeed! Just for you, I'm going to call up Nintendo and get a copy of Mariokart's code so I can make the behavior perfect ;) Do you prefer a particular version (DS, 64, etc)?

That's looking better.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n64 please. it didn't cheat bad enough to prevent you from winning.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
n64 please. it didn't cheat bad enough to prevent you from winning.

Excellent taste, I must say.

I have an enemy available now. They have minimal logic controlling them. Right now they know how to close in on the main player and attack with an extremely fast dashing-slash-thingy. It's quite pleasant to see in motion. I made their blades glow green so they stand out against the background (again, colors not final), and so your eyes will be able to quickly track dangerous things on screen.

Debugging data is kinda thick in that one shot :)

I'm actually having fun dodging their attacks. They have random pauses between strikes, and they don't adjust their paths in unison, so you can get some weird zig-zag action going on as they attack from both sides. They take hits, but the damage routine is disabled until I finish working on the death animation. As I predicted, I'll be spending most of my time on enemy AI. I've borrowed what I can from I Dream in CGA, but that game had a minimal amount of logic driving the enemies.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why you'd want to, but here's the current build I'm using. You too can run around and feel impotent with your orange -20 blaster of uselessness.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two pics. One is more interesting than the other, for less obvious reasons.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you thinking about adding online play to the game? I wonder if you're thinking about randomizing the death animations. Having a variety assorted ways to watch enemies shut up and die would be great! :)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Are you thinking about adding online play to the game?

That, unfortunately, is well outside the scope of my ambitions. I'm aiming to complete work on the game at the end of the month. I have a full slate for the rest of the year with non-gaming stuff. So there will be one long stage, perhaps broken up into segments dotted with mid-bosses, and a big evil boss at the end to make you throw your controller across the room.

The takeaway, however, was 4 player local co-op. I've got four USB adapter thingies, so I should be able to test it out myself. One person can use kbd+mouse if they want, and any character can be made a friendly bot or turned off entirely.

Tentatively, the white dude is the captain, with average stats and the ability to throw up a circular shield that blocks shots. Physical attacks will get through, however. Friends can huddle inside the shield until it collapses. The blue dude is the medic, with average stats and the ability to drop medical packs. The green dude is the scout, with a fast-firing gun that is inaccurate but good for chewing up crowds. He can drop proximity mines. The orange dude is the tank, with a slower firing gun that can quickly destroy armor and shields. He can also launch missiles to take down aerial targets.

There will be no HUD. Your glow will diminish as you take damage, and disappear as you approach death. Glows will be strong at full health so you can clearly see who is in good shape.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a few things tonight, although I likely won't get too much done. So tired! First up, the program now automatically pauses if you're using the mouse and you happen to move it off the window. It fades out and gives you a little message to get your attention. When you bring the mouse back into the window it gives you ~ half a second before resuming the action. Boss warnings are now working, and I spent way too much time tinkering with the look of it last night.

The player's death animation is mostly done. You erupt into a shower of blocks pixels. It should be obvious to the other players that you've gotten ganked. The last screen shot, sadly, is a bug. I mis-mapped the player's weapon and ended up with rapid fire :)

Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a "bug" or maybe it's a new powerup! :) I wonder how many cool features over the years in gaming actually started out as bugs, kind of like some of the various "accidental" inventions over history (e.g. penicillin and stuff). This looks like a game particularly well-suited to gamepads, where you could use a simple joystick movement to aim your weapon instead of having the move the mouse across the screen and such.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Shut up and Die! Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.