GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - MorbidDungeon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Development Log - MorbidDungeon Reply with quote

Hello all!

It's been a while. Long enough for a new project :) I have given up on my other two projects for the moment, mostly because of finishing school and getting a job which decreased my spare time with about 1000%. I have decided to try to focus on a small project that is realistic in scale (I still reckon Kingmaker to become my Magnum Opus, probably finished around when I retire heh). I have always liked roguelikes in all their forms, and even though I'm tempted to create an epic Fallout-inspired roguelike with sandbox-type of play and with factions and crafting and whatnot... I thought I'd start small. Really small. One baby step at a time.

This doesn't mean I'll just rehash the same old formula. At the surface I'm aiming for the same old dungeon crawl, but with other game mechanics than most. There won't be levels, and XP and classes. Instead the focus will be on items. You start with basic stats, and it is only through the items you find that these stats can become greater. So, the strategy lies in what items you should pick up and carry with you (you won't be able to carry much) and what you want to be good at (melee, ranged, magic, alchemy, whatnot) - so a good mix between strategic choices and luck. I want the monsters to be very unique too, which requires different strategies in order to kill them off (kinda like Brogue). And I want puzzle elements in the levels too. I'm getting carried away again heh, I will stop talking and get coding instead.

If you know any cool roguelike that could be an inspiration, please do tell!

I'm coding this in Java, because I haven't really used Java much before, and I like not having to worry about different platforms and handling memory. I'm using AsciiPanel by Trystan.

For now, here's a picture of a room and a Giant Rat.

Todo next: basic map generation with rooms and corridors
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Development Log - MorbidDungeon Reply with quote

arvidsson wrote:
If you know any cool roguelike that could be an inspiration, please do tell!

There has always been only one roguelike for me, and that's Castle of the Winds. We even run a forum dedicated to the game almost 20 years after it's release. I bought it on a floppy back in '95 or so and I've probably spent thousands of hours playing it.

For your purposes, Castle of the Winds is pretty fun to look into, their item system is pretty elaborate, especially the enchantment part.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.