GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Doodle Thread [NSFW, contains nudity] Page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Doodle Thread [NSFW, contains nudity] Reply with quote

Inspired by Alex' recent scribbles in the off-topic thread and by the doodle thread on a.cc, I've picked up my own drawing practice again.

Thought it would be nice for us to have a dedicated thread for doodles/scribbles/drawings here as well. :)

so... here are my most recent doodles:

Edited by 0xDB on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only thing worth sharing for now. I have to get my drawing fu back on soon.

Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the ear rotations. From memory? I should look if I have good ear references somewhere.

You should look into something like Loomis or Hogarth for facial planes btw. Distorted anatomy seems to work for you (love the big mouths), but you lose a lot of volume in the process. Studying the facial planes will enable you to keep the style, but add in believability (is that even a word? :p)
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAT?
I started drawing lots of ears the same day you did Dennis based on that pic that says the 22nd!
Is someone watching me??
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading Loomis "Fun With A Pencil". I also have a Hogarth book lying around here some where which I abandoned a few years ago because his methods seemed too stiff and his proportions felt too "superhuman". Maybe I should give it another chance. Currently I'm exploring Loomis Ball And Plane method for drawing heads.

I'm not doing distorted anatomy deliberately. It's a result of a lack of practice and not taking the time to properly study references. Also, I often don't make a proper construction and instead just try to wing positions and sizes (which fails a lot as evidenced by 22nd to 24th).

The first ears were drawn from memory in the evening (after I observed ears on real people in the subway). Then starting 24th I took some pictures of my own ears and used them as reference.

Alex, I started practicing ears, because I noticed that every time I came to drawing the ears, the confidence of my strokes weakened because I had no concept in my mind about how they're constructed and what they really look like. My plan is to do the same for other facial features as well eventually, noses, eyes, mouths, etc... so must be coincidence that we both started doing ears on the 22nd probably for similar reasons.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.. yea I'll be working on other facial features too once I get the ears down.
I'm doing research right now based on a hypothesis of mine regarding forms, and I want to create an art instruction book based off it if my hypothesis proves correct because it is very different.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly recommend all books Loomis wrote, especially "Figure Drawing for all it's Worth"

As for your way of working, try looking into Vilppu, his way of working probably hits home for you much better than Hogarth will. If I'm not mistaken he has a book on the human head.

I'm currently focusing mainly on the torso and arms. Hands are not a huge problem for me, but legs and feet are. I'll probably take a few years before tackling heads.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooh, now that's good progress :)

I love the upper left one and the monk (I assume robed? :)) is awesome too.
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, thx. I don't feel like I'm making progress though. In fact, I feel like I'm doing worse with every other stroke. Maybe I'm just getting better at spotting all the errors. :P

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a weird point to artwork where, if you do it enough, you start to refine a certain style that's all yours. However, I've found that it feels odd, because you're thinking "Why is my art looking craptastic?" But what's happening is you're moving down a unique road, so nothing looks "right" because it won't look like everything else you see.

That's my excuse ;)
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm... no excuse to stop practicing but it certainly sounds like a solid explanation for why nothing feels right anymore.

I still intend to beat the wrong proportions out of me as I want to be able to get a somewhat realistic appearance in the things I draw.

skulls referenced from http://www.oucom.ohiou.edu/dbms-witmer/3D_human.htm

Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No references ==> everything looks even wonkier than usual. :(

Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look a bit primal but otherwise well drawn :)

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say try noting any parallel alignments.. for instance, how the eyes are lined up will be essentially parallel with the corners of the jaw and how they align. Similarly with the bottom of the nose.. cheeks, etc..
unless there is some perspective happening that diverges these parallel alignments.

Also it helps to loosen up you lines and draw quicker. I notice that most of your lines appear very curved and probably were drawn very slowly. Everytime you change direction while drawing a line you have to remeasure and think about where you're heading. You'll want to reduce the time it takes you to figure this out and be more direct with your lines.
At least, that is my opinion.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bean. :)

Alex, good advice. I've tried drawing quicker today (and went back to looking at the reference because I felt it was pointless to continue trying to draw something without knowing what it looks like :P ) by not drawing full lines at first but by just slapping down small consecutive line segments and then later putting finished lines on top of them. Sometimes I even put down lines today while staring at the reference without even looking at the paper (which didn't always turn out well...).

Anyway, here's todays doodle (still distorted but not as weird as without reference):

Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distortions... sigh. Also didn't intend to draw an ugly old transvestite there but it somehow ended up looking like it does. :P

Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try studying the planes of things.. the flat areas, and how the flat areas change angles. Try to keep it simple. If you just throw in a bunch of values/shading, it's hard to focus on the structure as much because you begin to muddy it up and diffuse the precise aspects of the planes..
if that makes sense..

i figure i'd contribute to the thread some doodle i did today.. no references were used.
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There.

Now you can't say I haven't contributed. ;)
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, contributions! :)

I'll look into doing those plane studies before making my next attempt at rendering a full head. Today I started drawing eyes in a different way than previously (just improvising the lids hoping for the best) by constructing them from simple spheres, wrapping the lids around them.

Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, that's a good way to approach eyes. Other things are structured similarly. Muscle kind of wraps around bone, and skin wraps around muscle.. Try thinking about those underlying forms. I notice in your last image the nose bridge/eyebrows looks very rigid and square as if the skin is tight against the bone. I've found that drawing such kinds of boxes can help with perspective, but they can also restrict the expressive properties of the softer aspects of the face.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... getting different kinds of emotions and expressions into the blank staring faces will be another topic to look into.

After today's doodling, I made a bunch of crude models which I plan to use to study some of the surfaces from different angles.

Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, I'm planning to do something similar when I get some modeling clay in the future (I'm planning to make a comic book, and after I design most of the characters I want to model their heads so I can study them in various angles like you are). I might do it with other stuff too, but I'm not there yet. I'd just be careful about sculpting the surfaces though- it's easy to get accidental impressions and bumps etc that wouldn't normally be there, and these might confuse your interpretation of the forms.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the molding dough is very soft and things tend to distort a lot while working on other parts of the same model but that's ok because they're just supposed to be rough guidelines and not meant to be copied 1:1 while drawing.

some more no-ref doodles (must beat odd angles and proportions still...):

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.