GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Nubs' Adventure [IT'S DONE!] Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMakeGames wrote:
These "pre-release jitters" have me sleepless the last few days... :( I hope that changes tomorrow.

The only time that really gets to me is that couple of seconds as I'm hovering the mouse over the upload button. There's always that nagging thought that I've forgotten something important.

... which I usually have, but that's what patches are for ;)
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bad thing about patching later is that it takes about a week until it is approved by Apple due to their review process... so I REALLY want to get it right the first time! :|

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded! Played a little bit, but I am at work so I can't get too deep into it.

So far, super nice! The only thing that was weird was the intro. I got knocked off the cliff, got up, walked right, and back to where I started? Didn't make sense to me.

Otherwise, everything else is fantastic so far. The cinematics are cool, and controls just fine for a touch device. I may need to tinker with the size though. I feel like the left/right buttons are too wide.

Just some scattered thoughts. Will have a better brain dump later once I've played some more!
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
Downloaded! Played a little bit, but I am at work so I can't get too deep into it.

So far, super nice! The only thing that was weird was the intro. I got knocked off the cliff, got up, walked right, and back to where I started? Didn't make sense to me.

Otherwise, everything else is fantastic so far. The cinematics are cool, and controls just fine for a touch device. I may need to tinker with the size though. I feel like the left/right buttons are too wide.

Just some scattered thoughts. Will have a better brain dump later once I've played some more!

Thanks for trying it out! :)
As for the intro: was the giant worm that grabs the falling Nubs in mid-air not visible? I might have miscalculated a bit, cutting off that (crucial) part of the intro on some devices/resolutions. If you have the time, could you double check if that's the case? You can just start a new game in another savegame slot.

In the meantime, I've been in crisis/breakdown mode: many people on iOS just couldn't pay the IAP to unlock the full game! The game just crashed when accessing that particular screen. I was trying to reproduce it, but couldn't. Some people said a device reboot fixed it, others said that didn't help. I'm now STRONGLY suspecting that Apple's IAP products take a while to distribute across the world. Because people who couldn't buy it before seem to be able to buy it now. And the issue seemed to be App Store related. People from the US reported crashes while it worked fine for people in the UK, for example. I'm only slowly regaining my sanity though... :|

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did see the worm! I just didn't notice that it gobbled up/caught Nubs, I guess? User error! Tried again and it is quite obvious. Must have been distracted @ work.

I haven't tried the IAP yet. :]
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the game is out for about two weeks now! I'm really happy with the reception of players, and despite a few technical problems, people seem to enjoy it! :)

I've written a post-mortem style article (I LOVE reading those, btw) where I talk about the development process and what went good and bad, what I want to do better future projects and some statistics on how long it took to develop Nubs' Adventure. It's on gamasutra: http://gamasutra.com/blogs/MaximilianCsuk/20150602/244894/PostMortem_for_Nubs_Adventure_an_exploratory_platformer_for_iOS_and_Android.php

Some reviews also popped up on Gamezebo and Touch Arcade. So cool! :)

What I'm not happy with is that Apple didn't seem interested in featuring it. Maybe it was the technical glitch that caused a crash for some people when trying to unlock the full game. Or maybe they didn't think it fits into the market as well. Or it just slipped right through without anybody noticing... dunno.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I completely forgot to tell you about my stupidity!

So the bug that caused crashes for some people was not really Apple's fault, but rather mine for the most part. The root problem was this: when querying the IAP data from Apple's servers, more specifically the price, in my tests in the sandbox environment, it returned a string like this: "4.99".
So in my code I did basically this:
Code:

String money = getIAPPrice();
"Do you want to unlock the full game for %money".replaceAll("%money", money);

Some of you might already see where this leads... I didn't. After going live, people started commenting that they can't buy the game and that it crashes when accessing the buy-screen. For a whole day, I suspected that Apple's IAP service had not distributed the IAP across the world yet because there seemed to be some connection to where the user was located. But after a day of painful waiting, people still reported crashes. And I just couldn't reproduce it at first. But then suddenly it struck me. I changed the App Store country of my IPad to USA, tried to unlock the game.... BOOM! Crash! Apparently, on the live servers, the IAP string for the price sometimes contains the currency symbol. In the case of the USA and some other countries, that's the "$". and Java's replaceAll() function treats "$" in the second parameter (where I fed the IAP price string into) as a freaking BACK-REFERENCE!!!! ARRRGHHHHH!!!!! The executed code becomes
Code:

"Do you want to unlock the full game for %money".replaceAll("%money", "$4.99");

the function does not find reference 4 in the first string, because there's only one replacement and... crash! Or rather, exception thrown that I didn't catch.

What made it so painful is that it never happened to me while testing in the sandbox and that it apparently doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes, Apple's server simply return "4.99". No currency symbol, no problem. Quite ironic, the $ is what screwed me! ;)

Lesson learned: never, ever trust anything you get from an external location! I've sure enough heard this many times, but I had to learn it the hard way... and know your string manipulation functions!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sadly you really have to aggressively sanitize any input you get from an uncontrolled source.

Obligatory XKCD
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $ is screwing everyone these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0xDB wrote:
The $ is screwing everyone these days.

Fukkin' sigged.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note that I saw this featured on a recent vsauce3 video. Well done.
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninkazu wrote:
Just a note that I saw this featured on a recent vsauce3 video. Well done.

Yeah, VSauce3 always seems to pick up on my games! :)

Hi, btw...

I'm nearing Steam release with Nubs' Adventure. Anybody want a Steam key? :)
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMakeGames wrote:

I'm nearing Steam release with Nubs' Adventure. Anybody want a Steam key? :)

Congrats!
I could trade you a crocotile3d key for your Steam key if you like?
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll trade you guys a key to... wait, I dont have anything on steam :(

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good friend of mine started playing Nub's about a week ago and really enjoyed it.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex and BadMrBox: I sent you keys! :)

If anybody else wants one, just tell me... they're just a click away.

Quote:
A good friend of mine started playing Nub's about a week ago and really enjoyed it.

How awesome! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes please!

Maybe one day I'll get something on steam and I'll be able to hand out some keys.
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will wrote:
Yes please!

Maybe one day I'll get something on steam and I'll be able to hand out some keys.

You got mail! :)
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done and done! :)

Nubs' Adventure is on Steam since yesterday: http://store.steampowered.com/app/401280

It's my first time on Steam, so I'm pretty excited. Sales don't look good, but I don't really care. I'm on Steam, that's all that counts! :>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMakeGames wrote:
-snipppy- . Sales don't look good, but I don't really care. I'm on Steam, that's all that counts! :>

Congrats on the steamy release! Also sales may not be great but there are some people out there that might have a gander about your game, and hey! If they like it they might tell their friends! So the issue here is who has a buttload of friends? Icynewyear! :D He's a youtuber, does steam games from here and there. I just poked him and he has interest in your game, if you wouldn't mind swinging by beyondthebeardpodcast@gmail.com and maybe tossing a key his way/talking terms. There's potential he can drive some interested gamers with fat wallets and low willpower to your steam page. Also might be worth poking Nerd^3 at playMyGame@nerdcubed.co.uk :)

Best of luck!
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagikEh wrote:
IMakeGames wrote:
-snipppy- . Sales don't look good, but I don't really care. I'm on Steam, that's all that counts! :>

Congrats on the steamy release! Also sales may not be great but there are some people out there that might have a gander about your game, and hey! If they like it they might tell their friends! So the issue here is who has a buttload of friends? Icynewyear! :D He's a youtuber, does steam games from here and there. I just poked him and he has interest in your game, if you wouldn't mind swinging by beyondthebeardpodcast@gmail.com and maybe tossing a key his way/talking terms. There's potential he can drive some interested gamers with fat wallets and low willpower to your steam page. Also might be worth poking Nerd^3 at playMyGame@nerdcubed.co.uk :)

Best of luck!

Thanks for the tips! :)
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.