GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - This And That (unfocused randomness) Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
I wish Blender didn't use Python, but that was the popular scripting language of the time.

Which one would you have preferred over Python?

I like Python so far but I haven't developed anything big in it, just worked through the standard Tutorial which comes with the official documentation. It feels pretty slick.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Which one would you have preferred over Python?

C

:D
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmh C... everything always points back to it. It seems like any effort made towards abstraction from the lower levels of programming is ultimately in vain.

I start reading documentation, I click a reference and another one and another and I think oh I'll need that, that, that, that too and eventually that and experience tells me there will be no way around that other thing too... 5 minutes later, twenty-something tabs open in Browser and a bunch of other documentation files waiting to be read.

Details and todo lists explode in the head. "Brain says no" and shuts down. "Fuck you", it says.

This is not the day. This is definitely not the day. Maybe not even the week, month, year or hell, the life to get anything done.

I'm too experienced to get started.

Development sucks (and still I shall try again... on another day... obsession dictates as much, experience knows it's true... but not today, not this week, month, year, ... meh)

Derp, derp, derp. Meh. *bleep*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Mmmmmh C... everything always points back to it.

Well, it is, like, the third letter of the damn alphabet ;) That's gotta count for something.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Speaking words of wisdom, write in C." --to quote a famous song

The more I read about Python and how to do stuff that matters (to me) with it, the more I realize it almost always (in those cases that matter to me) wraps some C libs to achieve things... so... why... bother. It will still be useful to yank out quick scripts to process/generate data or code but for the moment, I'll just stick to C.

Felt an itch to do some random gamedev. Looks a bit like a river or a wonky footpath or something. Long term moal (a moal is a may-do-goal but without all the mental stress involved in having to commit to it... may-do not to-do is the way of the future) is to make an RPG with random content.

Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. Maybe you could experiment with Shaders?
I was trying to learn about them lately, and seems like there are a lot of uses for them. It might help if you need to generate random stuff and need to spice it up.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly looked at shaders when I looked at webgl (much much) earlier in this thread but shortly after that, I kind of abandoned the whole html5/js stuff again. I cringe at the thought of all those CPU cycles that are lost through layer upon layer upon layer of abstraction and script-interpretation.

I don't see an immediate connection between shaders and generating random worlds, except when it comes to rendering presentations of the world data later to maybe add slight random variations to textures and colors and geometry... but then all of that could be done already before rendering.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one draws a few of those random rivers, it starts to approximate a filled circle. If one looks at it from far away it appears like a perfectly round single gray dot. :P ... yeah, I haven't been more productive than that since the last update... mind just seems to want to sleep all the time ^_^.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a cell structure to me. Just adding some color and music would make for a trippy demo-like thing. :]
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there are already funky music visualization thingies to do just that.

Experimenting with finding fast ways to model landscape from scratch:

I can picture a rough outline for an algorithm in my head that would "grow" similar mountain ranges from randomized ridges (which could have varying heights as well so that the ridge would not be at equal height all along) and gentle rolling hills or deep canyons from randomized shapes.

Looks like gradients are not that evil after all. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat. Is the purpose for this to make a 3D model of terrain? I thought this effort was for 2D for some reason. :]
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The purpose of the other random gen stuff was just to quench a sudden thirst to do some C programming... it was a fairly unfocused experiment.

I was practicing proper perspective construction (for drawings and pixel art) paying special attention to correctly scaling, measuring and placing things (starting from choosing camera angles and height from ground plane).

It's useful to know how to do this manually and I think I have a good grasp on how that works but it's also extremely tedious (and you need an insanely large drawing board to correctly place the vanishing points) and especially for drawings which require outside scenery, it is hard to just wing things far away and have them be scaled in a convincing/believable way, so I explored fast ways to create fantasy landscapes from scratch (didn't want to use a random generator because I still want to be in control of what goes where) in 3D to use as guidelines for drawing and pixelling.

The thought to make a random generator was just a byproduct of this exploration and I probably will not make one because there are already tons of them out there even very advanced ones (and expensive too) which are used by professional studios.

construction practices which lead to exploring that stuff:

Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.