GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Alex Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMakeGames wrote:
This is coming together so well! :)

I REALLY enjoy the tile-based(?) approach to 3D art and the whole workflow around it you envisioned. Typical 3D modellers always scare me but watching your videos, I feel right at home!

Thanks! yeah, one of the main goals is to make 3d more approachable for people that are more 2d oriented. Using tiles in this manner is kind of like paper collages.
I might try implementing stuff for animated tiles next- but I need to think more on how it can integrate with everything first.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on saving/loading stuff for a game.
I'm wondering if anyone knows what the best modern way is?
In the Quasi game I made, it originally had no saving, but I received criticism about it and there was requests for saving- the reasoning was basically that it is better to save as often as possible, that the developer shouldn't control/discard the player's investment of time.
So I'm leaning towards making this new game save whenever the level changes.
I was originally going to have save rooms where the player can go to save.. but I'm not sure what the modern ways are for saving. Anyone know? Does it matter?
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things haven't really changed much in terms of saving.

Many open-world games have save events where all the useful things a person has done in the game get saved when they start or finish a quest, encounter a new location, or do something else of note. If you restart the game you may not be in the same physical location, but the state of the world as you relate to it will be the same.

Outside of that, level checkpoints are standard fare, and jRPGs still make use of the good 'ol save point.

Others may be able to point out some more unique approaches. Maybe one will be most appropriate for your current project(s).
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sirocco,
I've been searching online for info on different sorts of save systems. It has been interesting.

It seems like the main two sides of the argument on how to design a save system are:
1: Design it as a part of the game (something that deepens the experience, and has specific rules)
2: Design it as something separate from the game (a way to jump in/out at the user's discretion)

That is my conclusion based on the various arguments I've read. I'm not sure why that is, and I don't think one is necessarily better than the other- just that there are more than one way to look at it depending on your goals.
I'm leaning more towards the 1st one because it is more appealing to me.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving... I prefer being able to save anywhere anytime usually but in some games it can water down the experience as it can take away some of the skill needed to get through a challenging part.

This spawns other thoughts... if people have to save/load a lot to get through a particularly challenging section of the game, it might just bee too hard. But also, if one can just save anytime, anywhere, it may condition the player to be lazy/sloppy in their play style which prevents them from trying their best and from getting better at the game.

At the very least, I think there should always be an auto-save after reaching key points or after a difficult stretch.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0xDB wrote:
Saving... I prefer being able to save anywhere anytime usually but in some games it can water down the experience as it can take away some of the skill needed to get through a challenging part.

This spawns other thoughts... if people have to save/load a lot to get through a particularly challenging section of the game, it might just bee too hard. But also, if one can just save anytime, anywhere, it may condition the player to be lazy/sloppy in their play style which prevents them from trying their best and from getting better at the game.

At the very least, I think there should always be an auto-save after reaching key points or after a difficult stretch.

Yeah, I think if I'm presented with the ability to save whenever I want, I end up saving a lot and if anything bad happens I reload. If I can't save often, I either enjoy playing it more, or I enjoy it less because it becomes too difficult and then I quit trying after awhile.
I think it boils down to whether the game is fun to play, regardless of the difficulty level. If something is really difficult but you're having fun with it, then it becomes tolerable. I think procedural generated stuff/ random stuff helps alleviate some of the frustration of having to replay parts of a game. If the game changes when you replay it, then it doesn't feel as bad. When everything is the same, and the same thing keeps forcing you to restart, it becomes a total pain.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea: you can save any time you want, but you lose 5-10% health anytime you save. Especially devious in a game that doesn't give you healing potions, etc.!
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedoty wrote:
Interesting idea: you can save any time you want, but you lose 5-10% health anytime you save. Especially devious in a game that doesn't give you healing potions, etc.!

I actually thought of a similar rule- except in my mind it was removing a heart. So you could increase your hearts, but saving decreased the max heart capacity.
I definitely like the idea of there being some cost for saving.
Maybe if you save, the heart is returned to some location, so you can regain it again if you want (if it has an open world).
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Choosing "save game" takes you to a special level that you must completely successfully in order to save the game. If you die in the save game level, you die in the main game as well. You can also try to save your game within the save game level, but naturally this takes you into yet another special level you must complete, on top of thereafter completing the first save game level.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol.. nice idea. I could imagine that sort of solution could also be influenced by other things in the main game so that the savegame worlds have some sort of balancing. Seems like it might work more for an abstract kind of game.
Niunio Martinez

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
Released v1.2.0 of Crocotile 3D,
Here's a video showing a bit of the Object/prefab features. I build some stairs.
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N8Mxoofks_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Didn't saw that. I like it a lot too. I wonder if I can use it in a future project we are planning.
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niunio Martinez wrote:
Didn't saw that. I like it a lot too. I wonder if I can use it in a future project we are planning.

Thanks! yea, that would be cool. I plan to use it to make all the environments for a game I'm working on. It currently does everything I need it to do, but using it to develop something substantial will allow me to see areas that need improvement.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Alex Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.