GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - arvidsson Page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Development Log - arvidsson Reply with quote

Hello!

This is my attempt of a development log where I will write about whatever I might be working on.

I do it for two reasons:

a) it will hopefully help to keep me motivated and procrastinate less on the projects I want to finish
b) it might entertain you

CURRENT PROJECT: the game of my dreams

To be continued...

Edited by arvidsson on Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:35 pm; edited 2 times
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, having a place where to mumble about ones progress is a great way to keep up the motivation! Works much better than just talking to the pet-rocks.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed! You could say motivation is my main motivation...

So, what is my projet du jour? As I hinted above, it's about zombies and how to survive them. I've always been fascinated with zombies and the apocalypse they would bring.

The short project description above might give you the impression that this is an ambitious project, but the keyword is short. The bigger scope the less chance of completing a project I have found, so for once I want to start small and see where that leads me.

I've dubbed the project "zed". In short, the game is about you, leading a small band of survivors and making all the tough decisions. Each day you must decide on what orders to give to people (e.g. scavenge for food) and other interesting choices. I really want to achieve an air of hopelessness and that each choice means sacrificing something else in return. After deciding what you want to accomplish with the day, the day is simulated and random events might happen. Then another day begins, and so on until you either perish (very likely hehe) or you survive until winter when the zombies freeze over and you can finally escape your homemade fort and emigrate north where some kind of human civilization is rebuilding.

That's it for now. I've completed a basic framework for the game using Allegro 5 and won't waste anymore time on that. Onwards with game!
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had intended to further my progress yesterday, but then beers happened. And I drank too much on a thursday. Never again!

Maybe I'll have a stupid simple screenshot in the weekend. I never know.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh, I'm interested :D
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm delighted :)

I wasted time making code look nice, and not really getting anywhere. Rookie mistake I'm doomed to repeat it seems heh.

But I think I know why I do it. I have an idea for this game, but it's not fleshed out. It's undefined and therefore a really great idea. It's only when I get down to realizing the idea that I'm forced to take crucial decisions and risk ending up with something that isn't fun at all. So, instead of fretting over what the final, glorious result should be and thus never really trying to accomplish it, I'll just ignore the big picture while I try out one game mechanic at a time. Agility to the max!

So, what is next? Well, in order to lead a group of survivors you need a name.

Small steps...
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blinking cursor as well!

A name is good and all, but perhaps that is not the only thing that defines you. What did you actually do for a living when the world still existed? You never know what skills could come in handy in this brave new hell.

When we know who you are, it is up to the Dice Gods to decide what sorry souls make up your band of survivors.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it going to be text-only?
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but text heavy. At least the core idea I had in mind. I'm terrible at the graphics-making, but we'll see.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of setting up my new computer and my development environment, so it might take a little while before I get any real progress right now. I also want to play around with Unity and UE4.

The game, or the vision for the game, I have in mind right now is quite inspired by Oregon Trail/Organ Trail and Roadwar 2000. Same kind of simulation aspect I guess. I don't want only text though, not that a text heavy game can't be fun. It depends I guess. I'm leaning towards ASCII graphics, not going the roguelike route but more using ASCII for gui components. I like what URR is doing with ASCII.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. Never heard of URR. I'll take the digital nomad, if you don't mind. I choose to press the enter key before typing in my name. Having a known name makes you more identifiable, and as I become more and more well known (but not by name) while advancing through the game, I don't want the bad guys to have an easy way to track my movements and whereabouts.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you're the leader of a group, they must know what to call you!

I have gotten a bit side-tracked with a new idea for a game. I got inspired by Stalker (and will be indubiously inspired by Wasteland 2 as I get into it). It's a roguelike in a post-apocalyptic setting, but aside from ascii art inspiration from URR and Brogue I don't want to borrow too much from already existing roguelike games - rather take elements from other game and somehow transform it into the kind of roguelike I have in mind.

Anyway, I haven't given up on project: "zed". The more projects, the merrier!

Btw, it was a pain in the ass to setup everything so that I finally got allegro 5 to work. Might be because I haven't used Windows properly for many years now - but damn, things are confusing sometimes.
Ninkazu
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a digital monad.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post-apocalyptic settings ftw!
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always feel like I was born in the wrong time, I belong in the post-apoc ages of the inevitable future!

Work has been hectic lately and won't become less hectic as I have entered a new role as product manager and thus lots of responsibilities and so.

And I bought Alien Isolation (love that game), got very much into it and I have always loved the alien movies and the setting/backstory so I had to watch all the movies and then I remembered an old game I played on my dad's Macintosh SE/30. I wasn't able to google it because I think it was a random freeware/shareware thing that none remembers anymore. Anyway, it was a strategy game based on the Aliens movie, and now I want to play it and in order to do that I have to remake it. Why are all these ideas coming to me? Whyyy? Now that I have no spare time left almost. Wouldn't surprise me if I soon became a father or something hehe.

tbc...
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completed Alien Isolation, so now I'm back on track with... something completely different. Last year or something I made an attempt at an entity-component system "framework". This is attempt two (or rather a refinement of attempt one), and it's coming along nicely. Will be very useful for something grander I had planned at some other point in time.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been some time since last update. I have almost finished my entity-component system - what is left to implement is messaging and tag/group managers.

I have decided to try, for once, to focus on one project this year and stick to it. It might become nothing, but at least I have tried you know. I'm gonna make the game of my dreams, or at least the game I know I would like to play. I won't bother with thinking whether this could be turned into a commercial success or whatever, since the probability of me finishing it is slim - but hey nothing is impossible though. I'm still hopeful and looking forward to dedicating myself :)

What is this game then? It's a bit of many things I like - and thus ambitious, maybe a bit too much.

I like:
- sandbox
- procedural generation
- simulation
- automation

I'm also inspired by games like Prison Architect and Factorio. I think with the right balance of stuff I could find something that is really fun and rewarding to play.

Anyway, I have a basic engine done in SFML2, I have the entity-component system I need, but nothing really to show for yet. Next step is tilemaps and then basic entity AI.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A basic tilemap is done, which can be loaded/saved, and scrolled around.

Next up is a rudimentary map generation using perlin noise. And as soon as I have that I want to get into really making use of my ECS - beginning with the colonists that will be the backbone of the game. I got thinking about how to do the AI, and I'll probably begin with a general AISystem that handles different states and wahtnot. In the end I probably want to include a script language to control the AI and most other gameplay elements. I tried Chaiscript a bit, but couldn't get it to work and got no results on google of the errors I encountered. I'm thinking about Lua but cannot find any good binding with C++. I might investigate boost python as well at some point.

Got any good advice regarding to C++ and easy integration with a script language? I'm all ears! :)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Got any good advice regarding to C++ and easy integration with a script language? I'm all ears! :)

I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but whenever someone mentions scripting, Lua inevitably comes up...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the chunky font. I like the ideas here.

I like the Mac screenshots I'm seeing. If you need a tester, I'm in. :]
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently looking at duktape ( http://duktape.org/index.html ) for scripting. I have not yet made up my mind whether I like it in action or not (but I probably do).

What I do like is that it is well documented and usable under the MIT license.

On the one hand it seems to be a bit... "tedious"... when it comes to making your C/C++ code available to the scripting context but on the other hand I am thinking this could also be an advantage as you have to be explicit about which parts of your program you want to be exposed to (user)scripts which adds a bit of security and does not by default enable scripts to potentially break things by screwing around with every function the C/C++ code has to offer.

If the goal is to have large parts of the program scriptable/customizable/easily changeable without re-compiling, one should consider reversing how one thinks about scripting. Instead of thinking about it in the "I will add scripting support to my program" it might be more fruitful to think of it in the "my program will in essence be made of scripts which access some native code" way in that case (see the scripts as the higher level interface/glue code and treat native code as modules to be used by the scripts instead of seeing the scripts as the modules and using the native code to glue scripts together).

I guess which way one wants to look at scripting depends on what language one wants to write the majority of the code in or what the scripting is meant to achieve. For providing a plugin system(which is what I have in mind for using duktape) it is still useful to think of scripts as "I will add scripting support to my program".
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but whenever someone mentions scripting, Lua inevitably comes up...

Yeah, it seems to almost be the standard nowadays. But I can't find a binding library that "just works" and isn't awfully tedious to use.

Quote:
I like the chunky font. I like the ideas here.

I like the Mac screenshots I'm seeing. If you need a tester, I'm in. :]

Thanks! Right now I'm developing on Windows, but when I have something to show I'll try to create Mac builds as well.

Quote:
I am currently looking at duktape

Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna investigate and see if this would suit my project. I had great hopes for Chaiscript but couldn't get it to work sadly...

I think for my game idea, I mainly want to be able to control AI through scripts, but perhaps also a bit of the game logic. I haven't got a clear plan of how to separate my entity-component system and scripting in a neat way. Time will tell I suppose.

Unity 5 was released not long ago and I'm tempted to jump into that since it solves so many tedious things concerning game development. But, that means being forced to do things their way and potentially having big problems solving stuff that Unity wasn't designed for. I'll probably try it out a bit but still continue with my own framework simultaneously.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short status update. I have made some plans that I plan to stick to. I'm not gonna use Unity 5 for this project as I don't want to be stuck in their way of doing things and I really like C++ and the level I control I have. I might use Unity for smaller side-projects when motivation (hopefully temporarily) drops and I feel like working on something else for a while.

I'm gonna dedicate this year to the game idea I currently have and see how far I get. So, no matter what the state of the game is in at that point in time I will make an alpha release for anyone interested to try out. Some level of external pressure (even a made up one) can be beneficial for me to stick to an idea and see it through.

Before I get into the actual gameplay though, there are two things I really want to put in place:

1. Entity-Component System
2. Scripting Language

#1 is pretty much done, but I have a few details left to try out and I want to build some tests so that I can trust my implementation.
For #2 I'm gonna investigate a few alternatives. I'll give Chaiscript another try and see if I can get it to work. If I fail, I'll try out Duktape and Lua in that order.

When I feel that #1 and #2 are pretty much what I want, I'll continue with a simple map generation. And after that I want to start with the colonists and a very simple AI (basically they will choose between waiting or randomly walking a short distance).

That will be Alpha 0.

Right now I'm in the middle of moving, so there will be some time before I can actually start doing this. But it feels good to have a plan.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - arvidsson Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.