GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - arvidsson Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving is almost done. I somehow managed to buy Cities Skylines and have wasted precious developing hours on that nice city simulation game.

But progress has been made. Sat down for a few hours, didn't expect much and... BAM! test project in place using the catch framework. I tried Chaiscript again and this time "it just worked". So, #2 is basically done - except for actually starting to use it, learn it and solving any new problems that inevitably will come along.

I started some basic tests for my ECS. I want to cover all bases with a few test suites, before I turn to finishing the missing parts.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I got Chaiscript to work, I had a really hard time to *really* get it to work. The documentation is quite good, but I would have benefitted more from proper examples, and I got a bunch of thrown exceptions and couldn't really understand what I did wrong. So, I gave duktape another try (nice tip by the way!) and I have gotten much further by just diving into it and looking at the examples.

I now have a script system that runs a specific script indicated by a script component. I managed to get input through the script and quit the game. I also managed for the script to access the entity manager and thus kill the entity through using the script. May not be much but feels like a small victory.

Next step is to make mindless wandering colonists. From there it will become more obvious how I exactly need to design the AI and how to make it all fit into the ECS design.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't got much done lately, but I've refactored my entity component system a bit, added tags and grouping of entities and also implemented some basic tests. I'm gonna timebox the work on the entity stuff for this week and then no more, until needs from actual game stuff requires it.

I'm not gonna even try to say what I intend to do next because I never seem to keep my word on that heh. See you next time!
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arvidsson wrote:
I'm not gonna even try to say what I intend to do next because I never seem to keep my word on that heh. See you next time!
It is acceptable to change ones mind all the time and no judgement shall be passed.
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course. I'm more irritated by myself for not sticking to whatever plan I set out. But then again, I have to be agile :)
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arvidsson wrote:
I'm more irritated by myself
No judgement shall be passed, especially not by the self. :)
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall find my inner zen and then we shall see :)

Small progress is being done incrementally. I made sure my project compiled and ran successfully on my mac so that is good. Apart from a few remaining tests I'm pretty satisfied with my entity component system.

Now onto scripting. I decided to stop looking for half-measures and quick-fixes and chose to learn Lua, and I mean really learn it even if it will slow my progress a bit. I won't attempt to create yet another templated, general, binding library or anything of the sort. I will study the C API and implement what I need, that is all.

I also created a trello board for my project, and slicing it up into alpha versions. I'm getting to the point where I need to think about the basic building blocks of my game. I have a vision but it is blurry. I need to define it more properly and then focus on the stuff that captures the core essence so I can test the game idea itself. Will it be fun or not? Hopefully yes.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on something and might have something tangible to show in a few weeks :) That is all...
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still here :)

I just had a small breakthrough. I managed to get my entities in my entity component system to use lua files as their logic for changing their behavior. I've had soo much trouble finding a good Lua-C++ binding library, but perseverance paid off! I got it to work! This is the best feeling, although so many hours were wasted hehe.

Now the possibilities seem kinda endless, but to help myself with discipline and to make everything more manageable, I've created a trello board with a basic roadmap for my game and what tasks are next to do. I have a very small scope for what I call Alpha1, so when that is done (I'm expecting at most a couple of weeks but you know, life might get in the way) I'll share it here for added motivational bonus :)

Cheers!
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm working on something and might have something tangible to show in a few weeks :) That is all...

In programming, a few weeks morphs in a few months with ease. Or in my case, a few years....

*cough*
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, time morphs indeed. I'm still working on my game, chiseling away at the original idea which slowly is becoming something wortwhile perhaps. It's almost like I've had to waste a bunch of time working on not really tangible stuff in order to really home in on the core idea of what I want my game to become.

Now I'm into behavior trees. I was surprised to not being able to find some kind of C++ open source library regarding this.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behavior trees are done! An important part of what I need for my game. Basically I'm done with Alpha 0 I mentioned before. I have blue blobs (the colonists) walking around randomly and waiting a bit before walking again. Defined with nodes in a behavior tree. Small step but feels like an important accomplishment!

Now I need to decide on a tactical plan on how to approach the rest of the game heh...
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code is shaping up too! Something feels very nice about nicely structured code, as you all already know :)
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started to implement behaviors for my colonists. They are now able to evaluate if there are any resources laying around that needs to be collected. Haven't gotten to the actual collection part yet, but when developing this behaviour it really dawned upon me how powerful the combination of an ECS and Behavior Trees are. Much of what needs to be developed are Nodes in the behavior trees, like defining puzzle pieces for a very complex puzzle. Bit by bit I'll come closer to what I want to achieve. And it doesn't hurt that each node often have a very direct, often visual, feedback which only helps with my own motivation.

I should try to upload a video or gif or something to show the current progress, even though the graphics are pretty crude at this point in time.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refactored some code yesterday to get rid of singletons. I'm still not entirely sure how to pass data between the game logic, entity system and behavior tree nodes, but I'll think of something.

I have started the process of slicing up my game idea into chunks I call "alphas". Each alpha will contain a few features which will then be sliced up into small tasks. These will be distributed throughout the week. The goal is to have a little progress every day, but I won't force myself to achieve this. It's totally fine to skip days since I'm doing this for fun! This could mean that I will report smallish progress more frequently here. It could also mean that motivation drops and suddenly nothing happens for a while. We will see, but I'm impressed by myself that I have managed to stick to this idea this far long anyway.

Thinking about it, the reason is quite simple. As long as I focus on the game, and not obsessing about refactoring stuff and making stuff reusable and forcing stuff into the "engine" part of my game, and get visible results much quicker, the more probable that my interest stays. So, each alpha will be focused on game features, not engine features. The features required from the engine will be derived from what the game needs right now, not an imaginary need somewhere down the road that might never become realized.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arvidsson wrote:
The features required from the engine will be derived from what the game needs right now, not an imaginary need somewhere down the road that might never become realized.
"Use first, re-use later" is a good guideline to follow. I guess we have all at least once fallen into the trap of writing heaps of general purpose library code and then never got anything else done anymore. I know I keep repeating that mistake every other year, heh.
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and for me I tend to fall into that trap even though I don't really intend to. It could be something simple such as implementing rectangle collision detection, and then why not implement it for circles, etc. And then this code, of course, must be refactored so it's modular and perfect, and then this process grows and suddenly I have lots of code but nothing I really need right now. And then my motivation runs out because after all that hard work I'm not one step closer to finishing my game. And I want to create games. Not reusable code.

Planning is of course a good thing, but in the right amount. Doing is much more important though. I also need to stop overthinking things, and just do. After I actually have proven that what I want to implement works, only then should I waste some time making the code clean and perhaps even reusable.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been dabbling with a game, and I think I'm planning to work on larger pieces first before the little stuff. Example; menu stuff and inventory/ui things that can be accessed from anywhere in the game. Level transitions/data storage, dialog system, etc.. In the past, I tend to focus too much on gameplay mechanics and fine-tuning those, but if that's all you do it always feels like a prototype. My thinking is that if I have the stuff that surrounds the game first, then I'll have an easier time filling it in. It will also leave the fun stuff for last.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex wrote:
It will also leave the fun stuff for last.
There is the danger to burn (or bore) out on the tedious boring stuff before you even get to the fun stuff though. Finding a balance would be ideal. I repeatedly made/make the mistake of writing the boring bits first.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0xDB wrote:
There is the danger to burn (or bore) out on the tedious boring stuff before you even get to the fun stuff though. Finding a balance would be ideal. I repeatedly made/make the mistake of writing the boring bits first.

Yeah, true.. I'm intending to use 3d in my game, and I'm finding that 3d requires a lot more planning than 2d. So another reason to focus on the global stuff is because that stuff is more concrete and flat.. stuff like menus/ui/dialog will be 2d, and feels easier to plan out. Creating content is extremely time-consuming, and if I focus on that I will have a greater chance of burning out.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a small fix so that the camera is centered and keeps being centered when zooming. Also started a proper design document for the game.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made sure that removed entities are also removed from tag/groups in my entity component system. Not terribly important, but was easy enough :)
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent some time defining what features Alpha 1 should contain, which boiled down to generating resources on my map and being able to place mining drills that will mine said resources. A manageable scope I think. It will take some time before I have anything remotely playable and fun though, probably Alpha 100 heh. But I'm gonna stick to the plan, continue developing this year out and then re-evaluate what I want to do, if I should give it another year or not. Damn, time moves quickly. Can't believe it's already November almost, and it was March when I decided to give my idea an honest effort. But the effort haven't been focused, but still, I needed this time to morph my idea several times and giving up and then coming back to it.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much progress as of late. Life got in the way and I got sidetracker with other stuff. I will continue working on my game next year, albeit in a very slow tempo as I have other projects I want to try out.
arvidsson
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded my C++ Behavior Tree implementation to github if anyone is interested: https://github.com/arvidsson/bt
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - arvidsson Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.