GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Ultimate 64 (from the creator of the Ultimate 1541)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Ultimate 64 (from the creator of the Ultimate 1541) Reply with quote

http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&catid=9&Itemid=127

That there is the Ultimate 64, a re-implementation of the Commodore 64, entirely within an FPGA. It's a full sized motherboard that can dropped in to an existing C64 case.

They key thing to know is that it's an implementation of the C64, not an emulator (i.e. it's designed to be compatible with actual accessories). It just so happens to include some USB ports, HDMI out, WiFi, and a socket for a SID chip (otherwise it emulates it). It also fully implements an Ultimate 1541, so you can (I assume) plug a USB drive in to it containing software.

Seems neat.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. I've seen various FPGA-powered projects like this; glad to see it's a workable idea and gaining in popularity.

From my perspective, the nice thing would be to switch between NTSC and PAL output. I'd love to see a NOOP demo running on real (quasi-real?) hardware in my living room ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a PAL/NTSC switch. That would be cool. :D

Not that I expect to make anything that complex, I've started doing some homework on CPLD's and FPGA's myself. Have a couple cheap starter kits on order (Altera and Xilinx based). I would have grabbed a few more, but the hobbyist options are limited with some companies (no stock of the Lattice boards, and the so called $50 Microsemi boards are actually $100). *shrug*
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Ultimate 64 (from the creator of the Ultimate 1541)

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.