GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - DOGE, a roguelike Page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! I did it. I took a few tries. On many dungeons I actually either started out in a room that was totally closed off, or ended up in one halfway down.

I think the name of your character has some bearing on the seed (or perhaps is the seed entirely, I'm not sure). I tried with "1" and was able to get to the end and defeat the boss. Nice! Man. Those fdisks are super brutal. The second to last floor I had to skip a whole bunch of stuff.

I like the small touches/upgrades on the spells -- like for the spade, showing where you will teleport. I'm a little bummed there will be no more added here. Definitely had fun.

I'm sad nobody else is up to the challenge. :]
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, well thanks for testing the game, i'm glad you enjoyed it :). I played it a bit with my flat mate and we had some fun too. The game has a lot of faults, but i'm reasonably pleased to have made my first game project in over 10 years!

I don't know about anyone else, but the hardest part was just trying to force myself through the more boring parts of development. Also, I wrote a lot of code that just wasn't maintainable that I had to rewrite. I think more experience will solve the above two issues.

I think if I make a doge 2, the first thing I have to do is make a better map generator. I just didn't take care to make sure maps were completable, which was pretty daft :). The seed does indeed come from your name, the idea being that you could share particularly easy or hard dungeons. Also, the combat was boring in all honesty! Again, i'll just chalk this one up to inexperience.

Ahh well, on to the next think now, i'm writing an emulator. Maybe i'll make a devlog about that too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I don't know about anyone else, but the hardest part was just trying to force myself through the more boring parts of development. Also, I wrote a lot of code that just wasn't maintainable that I had to rewrite. I think more experience will solve the above two issues.

My sense of inertia waxes and wanes when I'm working on a large project, and I'm not really sure what it is that occasionally flips my "kill switch" and leaves me unable to complete a project. For some things I'm emotionally invested and have to make it happen, and for others it's just exploring a neat idea and I don't feel like there's much lost by walking away mid-development. Dunno...

But game development gets easier as you go on, especially as you learn to control your ambition in combination with getting better at what you do.

Quote:

Ahh well, on to the next think now, i'm writing an emulator. Maybe i'll make a devlog about that too.

Please do! I've thought about doing this many, many times. And still want to. I'd love to see how that goes.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.