GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> The Nintendo NX Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1343614

Kind of a boring leak :( Is there anything interesting new in the hardware specs? Hardware is greek to me nowadays. I just want to know how much the Mario season pass is going to cost me.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Developers can create and sell Season Passes for their games

:/

Fuck you, just sell me the entire game.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season pass is usually $25+ish if you buy it all at once?

Do you want to buy the "entire" game for $85-100 a pop if everything was included and there was no DLC? :]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo wrote:
Is there anything interesting new in the hardware specs?

- 4 GB of RAM
- Nintendo reserves one of the 4 cores for the OS
- GPU is a "2nd generation Maxwell"... I was under the impression the NVidia X1 was a 1st generation Maxwell.
- Though there's currently no web browser, as a developer you do have access to one if you need one (like for Facebook, Twitter, login pages).
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Nintendo reserves one of the 4 cores for the OS

Made me wonder how the xbox handles this, as the os has always run like a dog in my experience. xbox has an 8 core CPU, and originally 2 of them were reserved for OS use. xbox has 3 OS, one for games, one for apps, and one to help the 2 communicate. At some point they decided to allow developers to use some amount of the 7th core, but they had to forfeit certain Kinect functionality (custom voice commands, etc.), and also that 7th core sometimes isn't available, if the player is using a core system voice command like "take a screenshot."

I was kind of disappointed, I had hoped to read something like "xbox does not dedicate any reserved cpu for the ui, therefore explains why it is so slow to load things" ...

Part of me really wonders about that "reserve a core" thing, though. Nintendo is already putting out a somewhat less powerful system then its competitors, and they're handicapping themselves to 75% CPU. Maybe it's a complete push, since xbox is obviously reserving cores for (whatever), and I'll blindly speculate ps4 does the same. What if Nintendo abandoned the idea of dedicating cpu to the OS and such, and just went 100% game game game? We can go back to the days where you just played the game, no dashboards, no app switching. Kill the game or eject the disc if you wanna do something else.

I'm suspecting this is largely impractical, when considered against the general expectations of how entertainment devices will work these days.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more expecting games to be GPU bound than CPU bound. But hey, you never know when folk use middleware like Unity (where it has to waste time interpreting C# bytecodes).

There were some other things I saw in the docs I like, but I couldn't remember them.

In general, it looks like a dream system to me. I.e. exactly what I want in both a home and a mobile console. If I had to use middleware, I'd be a little concerned. But for me it's an ideal system.

If I was to criticize, knowing what I know about Nintendo's submission process, I might change a thing or two. But as far as hardware is concerned, it's powerful enough for me.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Do you want to buy the "entire" game for $85-100 a pop if everything was included and there was no DLC? :]

Depends on the game. There have been some that were definitely worth that much to me.

At least then I know I get the entire game. With the current model, when you get a game at launch you have no idea how much was left out, how much is left to come, and how much more it'll cost you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I guess we should take what we can get and be happy all games aren't subscription model? :]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
Indeed. I guess we should take what we can get and be happy all games aren't subscription model? :]

Things are shit and will continue to be shit, but at least they aren't any shittier. Yet.

Yeah, lol. Pretty much. I don't see the subscription model as being the end-game, pun not intended. Although that would produce a steady stream of revenue, I think the Activisions and Squeenix's of the world realize they can squeeze more money out of people per year with 2 properly milked titles. One CoD title at full price right now is $59.99 + another $45.00 for a season pass. And that's not even getting into the limited edition bullshit where you plunk down an extra 30 bucks for.... well, nothing ;) It's hard to argue for a subscription model when you can already buttfuck people that hard.

And really, no one on the production side wants to give 25-35% of their revenue to whoever is setting up the subscription service. I dunno where things will go, but it's horse armor DLC all the way down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit saddened by the whole Zelda season pass thing. Not that I had any interest in buying it, but just that Nintendo is joining the rest of the games industry with DLC, Subscriptions, Season Passes, etc. I don't know why they wouldn't. If gamers are willing to give you money, you take it. Nintendo does tend to be a little slow with some things. I guess with the modern hardware, the mobile games, comes modern game industry thinking. *shrug*
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way. There are some Nintendo Switches in the wild now.

Unboxing video: http://www.floko.tv/video/1107255-exclusive-worlds-first-nintendo-switch-unboxing
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If gamers are willing to give you money, you take it.

People are willing to dump real $$$ for virtual items.

Interestingly, Ubisoft has hinted at abandoning the idea of season passes and paid expansions, and just going all-in on cosmetic $$$ DLC. Whether they actually do that or not... well I hope they do. If there are enough pricks paying good money to run around in pink camo with matching neon guns, I'd rather they capture that money before chopping up the game into segments and selling it to us at an obscene rate.

In my head, though, I really just want to slap a cart into a console and bang out a good 20-40 hour campaign. Modern gaming is just so good and bad at the same time :(
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding that the current Call of Duty game makes more money on the microtransactions than it does on the maps and season passes combined.

Zelda just needs to sell dungeon door keys for a dollar each. Stuck on the Water Temple? No problem!
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to hear rumours about that the left joycon is constantly loosing connection with the switch. That is... quite horrible to hear. Really hope that its a few amount of units.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadMrBox wrote:
I'm starting to hear rumours about that the left joycon is constantly loosing connection with the switch. That is... quite horrible to hear. Really hope that its a few amount of units.

Yeah it's a misunderstanding, but definitely Nintendo's fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbG3F9RwlcY

It's actually both Joycon's, and though people keep calling it desyncing, it's just wireless signal degradation.

To save power, it looks like the Joycons aren't using as much power as they could to power their radios. Like water, "Meat bag" humans are pretty good at blocking high frequency radio waves. So for best effect, you'll want to have line-of-sight to the Nintendo Switch when using Joycons. Not a problem when using it in tabletop mode. If you have a big TV/couch setup (or a lot of 2.4 GHz interference), you will probably want to use the Pro Controller instead.

The wrist straps could have some effect too. Grip/Charge Grip too.

Nintendo could potentially fix this with a patch, assuming they power to the radios in the Joycons can be increased in software. That unfortunately means joycon batteries wont last as long.

It sucks that the Nintendo Switch has 2 power related issues coming out of the gate (1. the included grip can't charge the controllers. 2. not enough power to joycon radios).

Hooray for day-1 problems. ;)
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
"Meat bag" humans

At best
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad-cons? :]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrFqFQobdN8

Breath of the Wild looks better as a "2D" prototype to me than what is actually going to ship. Lovely. :]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrFqFQobdN8

Breath of the Wild looks better as a "2D" prototype to me than what is actually going to ship. Lovely. :]

Oh shit! Looks good :)

/me wonders if Switch is going to end up having decent 3rd party support after all....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly there is a patch available that already fixes the joycon problem.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like they dont have any solution for the problem, well except for not placing your switch next to the microwave owen, aquarium or your smartphone (that you need for online chat).
If you do plug in the switch into the dock often be careful because the dock can scratch the screen apparently.

Been watching Zelda gameplay for a bit now, both wiiu and switch. Looks really charming. The shrines seems quire underwhelming honestly. I hope there is some real dungeons along the way. Either way, I'm going to play the shit out of the game when i get it. Might talk a buddy of mine into lending me his WiiU for a couple of months and get the game for that system lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up my Switch on Sunday Afternoon (I got home from SF at 2 AM). No games, but I've been enjoying the japanese Puyo Tetris demo. ;)

Region free FTW.
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently cemu can already "run" Breath Of The Wild though they say it's still a bit away from "playable".

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you do plug in the switch into the dock often be careful because the dock can scratch the screen apparently.

And that's a huge, HUGE fail right there. Why the dock doesn't have some protective rubber/foam/anything on the inside is beyond me. Granted, dirt and grit and things can get in there and still scratch things up, but c'mon.

I'm thinking the way to go is a V-type clamp, where pushing the tablet down into the connector swings the arms up around it. Then you push down again to release the clamp and the tablet pulls free. Aw hell, I dunno. That would probably make things worse, with kids grabbing stuff and whatnot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Joycon issue can be fixed outright by adding a wire.

Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> The Nintendo NX Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.