GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Off Topic - Winter 2017 Page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Anyone remember the demoscene musician Moby? Not the famous Moby, but the other Moby.

Sure do! I like a few of his tracks :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Iron Fist Netflix show was fine. I probably over-hyped myself with this one, being the occasional fan of a good Kung Fu movie.

It's been getting a bunch of flack, but IMO the other Netflix Marvel shows might have set too high a bar. I still found it enjoyable though.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flack the show has gotten has nothing to do with the show. It's just a bunch of SJW bullshit and when they couldn't bully Marvel into making Danny Rand asian they throw a temper-tantrum. Bloody muppets.

Respect the sourcematerial and cast people as close to the comic version as possible has always been my standpoint.

Besides, Marvel have an asian Kung-fu master called Shang-Chi. Curious to why the SJW's haven't bugged Marvel to do anything with him. Can the reason be that they dont actually know anything about Marvel and are just trying to earn points playing their victim cards.
I actually want to see Shang-Chi. Netflix marvel is going to need more streetlevel based character soon anyway as the once they have now will be bundled together into Defenders and I presume Heroes for Hire afterwards.

Anyway, I've halfway through the season and I dont agree with the other complaints like bad pacing and boring characters. Would give it an 7.5 or 8 so far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadMrBox wrote:
The flack the show has gotten has nothing to do with the show. It's just a bunch of SJW bullshit and when they couldn't bully Marvel into making Danny Rand asian they throw a temper-tantrum. Bloody muppets.

Really? Is that what the BS was about? *sigh*

(Marvel Netflix show spoilers)

Well anyway, I think in hindsight, the casting and the characters were great. But the story and the little things about how it wrapped up (the sister at the end, what), I am admittedly a bit disappointed. I don't think Danny was portrayed as awesome enough (compared to his Defender comrades). The fist effect was used so rarely, almost as if it was to save budget. Also in hindsight, the family stuff in general left something to be desired.

I was kinda left feeling similar when it came to the big-bad in Luke Cage. I just didn't care about him. I didn't like him, nor hate him. He was just some guy we started following, that kept messing with Luke. The show started so strong, with such good characters.

I guess endings are hard. I'm also growing tired of 'The Hand'.

At least we're done with the origin stories now.

Anyway, I am looking forward to what's next. Not so much Defenders, but I think if they do a Heroes for Hire (Danny Rand + Luke Cage detective agency), that could be a lot of fun.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have all the puzzlepieces for HoH allready. Hogarth, Danny Rand, Luke Cage, Misty Knight and Colleen Wing. If they dont do Heroes for Hire I'm going to be very confused. Wouldn't be surprised if they deviate from the comics and adds Jessica Jones aswell considering that she is detective herself and that she, in the comics, marries Luke.
Might be an 'expensive' show having all those people on it but hell Netflix is getting their money back.

Then they have Daredevil, Punisher and Heroes for Hire. Plenty of room for expansion with more street level character.
I'm trying to figure out a wishlist for characters. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any of these shows good for someone who doesn't know the characters at all from the comic books?

I had never heard of "Iron Fist" before the media started covering whatever the controversy is. :]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shows are actually completely standalone, and designed for someone that doesn't know the characters. Going in to it, I only really knew of Daredevil and The Punisher, but they've done a great job making you care about a lot of characters. If you start with Daredevil and watch the rest (at your convenience), you start encountering easter eggs and elements of shared continuity from the other shows. That's the whole point really, to make a shared universe of shows. It's basically Marvel's New York. It's really quite neat. There's even very minor references to the movies that pop up (I.e. a thing happened, but it's literally just an easter egg, not actually important).

The order of the original 4 shows is actually not too important (they're all basically origin stories), but they were released in this order:

- Daredevil (S1)
- Jessica Jones
- Daredevil (S2)
- Luke Cage
- Iron Fist

Coming soon:

- Defenders (the teamup show)
- The Punisher

Again, the stories are fairly standalone. But if you watch them all, you're rewarded with fun little easter eggs and crossovers here and there.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm watched the whole season of Iron Fist now.
I felt that the choreography in the fights wasnt as good as Daredevil but it got better the further the series went. In general Colleen's where better than Danny's.

Danny was definitely not portrayed awesome enough. He was pretty much a naive manchild for far to long. I'd had also hoped that he would have gone full Iron Fist at the end like 'It's time to put on the traditional garment and kick some ass' but alás it never really happened. How the heck did he managed to be almost knocked out by Harold is beyond my comprehension. Nothing to complain about Finn's acting though. Would have liked the to actually use his powers more. Other than lighting it up a bunch of times I think he smashed stuff with it less than 10 times in the whole series.
I hope he gets his shit together in Defenders.
When i heard the name Davos I knew he would come around and turn on Rand and that's just what happened. And by now I'm confident that Madame Gao is Crane Mother.

BTW, I hope Bullseye show's up in Defenders and kills Elektra off. That actress is offensively bad and her version of the character have influenced the comics...

Been wondering a bit more about streetlevel characters they could use for more shows.
Shang Chi: More kung fu!
Moon Knight. So obvious i forgot about. Everyone wants him and he goes well in hand with the theme of heroes that needs to go the shrink thats netflix is going for.
Echo. Deaf native american girl whos father got killed by Kingpin.
Kate Bishop: Female fake Hawkeye. Think this could be pretty cool. It could also give more screentime to Hawkeye himself and it would lead to Young Avengers.
Silver Sable: She's awesome. Dont know if marvel owns her or if she's a part of Sony's spidey package.

Sony is doing a Venom movie this year... without spider-man involved. Yet another proof that they have no frickin' idea what they are doing. They're kinda messing up stuff for their deal with marvel. Instead of letting Marvel setting up (albeit early but Infinity war could have introduced the symbiote) for Venom Sony is rushing it headfirst.
I guess that as Spider.man: Homecoming is a joint effort between the studios Sony actually need to spit out an spideyrelated movie themselves to keep the rights.

Rumor says that Fox is doing another Fantastic Four. It's high time to give up the rights and let Marvel restore the characters. Half of the cast seems to have no interest to do it again anyway so it would be yet another reboot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadMrBox wrote:
Rumor says that Fox is doing another Fantastic Four. It's high time to give up the rights and let Marvel restore the characters. Half of the cast seems to have no interest to do it again anyway so it would be yet another reboot.

Haha! TBH I don't dislike the Fantastic Four, but it really doesn't strike me as a franchise that works today, no matter how "real" or "dark" you make it. To me it's an optimistic pulpy sci-fi hero franchise. It works in the original material since comics of the time were bright and colorful. You would need to go polar opposite of Sin City with it, almost cartoon like, to make it compelling on film IMO.

Superman is kind of the same to me. The campy 80's worked for the franchise, since there was a cheerfulness and optimism to that era. The various TV series incarnations worked too, since they too were more pleasant. The themes of superhero movies today: realness and darkness, I don't think that does the best for Sups. A film about a "god" of a man, and how that would unbalance the would (Doctor Manhattan in Watchmen), that's interesting. But trying to make him someone relatable in a dark/realness context, I dunno. *shrug*

I think it's telling that the 2 strongest hero franchises on film in the 'realness' and 'darkness' style of recent years are "men with toys" (i.e. Batman and Iron Man). You can aspire to be both, but you'll never fly and shoot lasers from your eyes. ;)

There's nothing wrong with Fantastic characters in Fantastic stories. Just tell them Fantastically.
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two Alba Fantastic Four movies wasnt that horrible. Ok, the second one wasn't any kimd of masterpiece but at least i like the casting in those two movies.
I refuse to watch the one from 2015 for many reasons. One of them is because they made it dark and broody.
Gotta thank Nolan for the whole dark and broody trend :/.

Man of Steel tried so hard to be Batman it crapped on everything that Superman should be.

Anyway, I learned that Sony actually has the rights to Silver Sable because Sony is doing a Silver Sable/Black Cat movie. This will go so wrong in so many ways and the casting of the leads will be the first thing they are going mess up.

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.