GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Oh please, let me buy your unfinished game /sarcasm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Oh please, let me buy your unfinished game /sarcasm Reply with quote

A friend says "Hey, Fortnite looks interesting. Let's get some people up and play it." I agree because said friend usually does not have shit taste in gaming. Usually, but that's another topic entirely. Let's not get distracted...

I do a little digging and find that the game is on sale (physically), but what I'm actually buying is early access to an unfinished game that.... and I can't even believe I'm writing this, will be Free to Play sometime in 2018.

Needless to say, I'm not biting. I give up. So now I have to check each game before I buy it to make sure it's finished? I mean, beyond the level of "unfinished" we normally have to put up with ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that sounds like paid Beta Access. Fun.

Early Access is definitely here to stay, so games should definitely be judged by how fun they look in the moment. Don't fall in to the trap of assuming a game will eventually get better.

Which ironically is exactly what Kickstarter is, but I so rarely recommend KS games anymore (I still have way too many that haven't shipped).
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I get all that, and there is a place for it.

I suppose my major complaints are two-fold:

1. I'm reading the Amazon page and see nothing about it being early-access on the box cover (!), or the page itself (unless you dig into the user reviews). There's plenty of potential for someone to come across a physical copy and buy it, not realizing it's an unfinished product -- or that if you wait a little bit it'll be free and less... you know, unfinished.

2. I already have to do way too much research on games these days to keep from getting screwed over. I'd hate to see more games take this route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend acquiring and restoring an Amiga. It's becoming a satisfying new hobby. ;)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I recommend acquiring and restoring an Amiga. It's becoming a satisfying new hobby. ;)

That's probably the best advice I've gotten all year.

And yeah, I want to... pretty badly at that. But I do need to get back into the C64 lovin too.
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I am playing Fortnite on the xbox. Er, minor correction, I am not playing because the servers have been down since afternoon, but I did play some over the weekend. I even played for a little while with the generous friend who gifted the game to me -- he purchased a special edition that came with a download code for a friend, you see . I played with him sometimes, and other times I did not play with him because "the party host is not currently responding to your join request." So, the other deal is that the game is officially released to the general public tomorrow, so [x] number of additional players will be joining the servers, or not joining, you might speculate.

There has also been a bug where people's buildings disappear, it is apparently related to accessing one of your inventories within your home base area. Not that I'm not super excited about losing things I've built, but just to be safe I see no need to even go near this base-corrupting inventory area until ... well, who knows when. Thanks but no thanks.

The building system works well, and in terms of core architecture it's suitably impressive IMO. You can even make 3/4 pyramid corners for the roof of your house, er I guess that'd be 1/4 of a pyramid, so it joins the slopes on its adjacent sides. However, what's already bothering me on a subconscious level, and I know this is going to stress me out when I actually make a real base (rather than slapping together a handful of metal walls for an occasional zombie defense mission)... it's the fact that AFAIK you can't do anything decorative in your base. So no beds, no tables, no flowers, maybe no windows, etc. etc., and it's going to be a bit of a let down. I'm fairly confident that the game engine could easily support it, because all of the (randomly generated I think?) levels you visit for your missions, they're fully destructable, and the houses all have tvs, bookshelves, all sorts of stuff, but I don't think there's an "object picker" when you're making your base... it's a real missed opportunity............
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Hey all,

Ok first we messed up in missing a HUGE part of our patch notes. I apologize. We understand how much time you have invested in building your Storm Shield base, it's your home, your defense, your vision, we feel that way too. We will be dedicated in providing detailed at patch notes going forward.

In our haste to get this patch out we missed clarifying tweaks to the Plankerton, Canny Valley and Twine Peaks Storm Shield maps. We decided to make change to those maps to improve game balance at upper difficulties. Map changes require us to reset any base you have built. Building materials and traps have been refunded into your Storm Shield Storage, the storage overflows in cases like these so you have every piece of stone, every trap laid ready to be reused. We have to do this to avoid issues with built bases conflicting with the map changes. We know that the time it took to create your base can't be replaced, we hope that opportunity to rebuild with all your resources and past experience will allow you to make an even better base.

As we move through Early Access we will be modifying the game and making changes to improve the experience, at times this will mean changes that require refunds to core systems like the skill tree, research tree, and storm shields. We are never going to reset your overall progression.

Moving forward we'll make sure to communicate changes BEFORE they happen.

Apologize again for the confusion.

Thank you Zak Phelps "

Damn.

Quote:
Moving forward we'll make sure to communicate changes BEFORE they happen

What an interesting idea!

(Full disclosure: I never really cared too much for my base because it's just a bunch of walls and ceilings, so I'm not personally upset in practice, just in principle.)
Diablo
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the people on their forums slobber is disgusting. Stuff like this: "Your awareness on our loss is inspiring, though. I'm impressed." Come on!

I can see it now. Game servers get disconnected in 3 months because it's "no longer finanicially viable" or something (don't think this will happen,), and you'd have people like that saying, "Your awareness on our not being able to play the game ever again is inspiring, I'm impressed." :/
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Oh please, let me buy your unfinished game /sarcasm
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.