GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> IS-VIEWER 64 - N64 Development Cartridge - Up and Running!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerry_MAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: IS-VIEWER 64 - N64 Development Cartridge - Up and Running!! Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to post this here for you guys to check out!!
Pretty cool!

https://youtu.be/Wx2YbPCwBCQ

Cheers!
-Gerry[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, nice work on that! I didn't even know those existed (although in hindsight it seems like a reasonable piece of kit from the mid 90s).

Sometimes I see old hardware as a mystery waiting to be cracked open. It's less about doing something with it, but completely understanding how it works.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

;). I'd been sitting on a pair of these for over a decade. Would be nice to get mine working too, but gosh, old SCSI interfaces are really limited. It's PCI/ISA card, or nothing. Well, I did find a USB 2 SCSI adapter, but holy heck, the eBay seller wants $150 for it. For a device you really have no idea if it'll work... yeah naw.
Gerry_MAN

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: IS-VIEWER64 - Applications & Plugins Reply with quote

Hey guys...

@PoV,
Yeah I did think of using one of those USB adapters, but same...price was a bit steep. I may invest in one regardless...just to try it out.
PoV....I'll get everything together soon for you to get yours going....Windows driver and that.... just been so busy at work...and regular life getting in the way. :P

@Sirocco,
One thing that I didn't mention in the video with that basic ROM loading program....
It is actually compiling the source code before it sends the ROM to the cart. So that load time to the cart....this includes the source code compiling time.

There are also several other third party Windows Programs that use the SCSI interface with the IS-VIEWER for other development purposes.

There is a program that you can use to edit color pallets and textures in real time. You can edit them as they are overlaid onto a 3D model that is being animated on the N64 console through the IS-VIEWER64. Pretty cool.

Also, there are tons of Plugins that were created to use within your source code, to take advantage of the SCSI interface.
You have code to create a ROM that runs on the IS-VIEWER...(like a game ROM)...but it has code within it that is setup to communicate with another .exe program that is running on the Windows development machine. They communicate with each other over the SCSI interface.
That is Freakin Awesome!!

I'm still doing a bunch of research on all of these plugins... and also learning how to use these different Windows programs that are specific for using the IS-VIEWER64.

I'll be posting a more in depth video later on.... to demo all the other programs and plugins....at least once I learn them. :)

Pretty Awesome little device.

-Gerry

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.