GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Your thoughts on a procedural tool for creating 3d buildings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurtis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Your thoughts on a procedural tool for creating 3d buildings Reply with quote

Hi everyone:

We are developing a tool for creating, in a few minutes, 3D models of all types of buildings (castles, houses, office buildings,…). The user just needs to define roughly the external layout of the building, the graph defining the rooms connections, select the preferred styles, and the tool constructs a standard fbx model.

Here you can watch some results in sketchfab (and download the models) we have generated with the tool

https://sketchfab.com/models/b72c48cad57843ada84aa150d2730af5
https://sketchfab.com/models/e9a17d0ce2f649aea834fc7629649cd6
https://sketchfab.com/models/519dfc814972447db41f89a559f72a06

We’d love to hear any ideas your might have. Concretely, we would like to know your opinion about these three questions:

Do you think that this tool would be useful? If otherwise, What do you think this tool would need to be interesting for you (e.g. hyper realistic models, creating whole towns, VR integration, …)?

Would you pay $25/month for using this tool? Would you pay $5 for a created model? If otherwise, what would it need to be interesting to pay for these models?

We are developing a basic web interface, an REST/Python/C# API, and a plugin for a common application (e.g. unity, unreal, 3dmax, Maya,…) Which environment would you prefer ?

Thank you very much for your help and time.

The Lurtis team
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your homework next time.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be good for creating mockups. But actual game development? Nope.

Good environments need a subtle human touch that tools can't currently replicate. You'd have to take the output from your tool(s) and spend a lot of time personalizing them. Possibly more than just creating them from scratch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tool seems interesting, but I couldn’t see paying a subscription to use it, or even one-time fees for specific models that it outputs — but that’s just me.

If it were pay-once, I think that would be more palatable to customers/developers — but we all understand that’s not the most sustainable business model.

I think if you get into a marketplace for some middleware solution (like Unity, Unreal, etc), it might be possible to go for a pay-per-model system for games that don’t need personalization. For example, maybe this is well suited to creating background environments that the player doesn’t really interact with.

Ultimately, I think that the types of developers in this particular community are slightly mismatched for the type of product you’re building. :]
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.