GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Mutiny Engine Page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:11 am    Post subject: Development Log - Mutiny Engine Reply with quote

In development images:

Mutiny Development Images

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm; edited 8 times
sam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a rule that anything you make with that engine has to feature the skeleton. He's quite a character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JackDark
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You accomplished a 3-D engine! That impresses me already. Shocked :D
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a lession I've always had a hard time dealing with. I'm sure you all can relate. You spend like an hour on something, maybe days. Be it code, art, music, whatever. And in the end you find out it sucks.

A lot like this blood effect. It actually doesn't look terrible here. But animated, in 3D, it's shit.
The lession is to chalk it up to experience and press Delete.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:32 pm; edited 4 times
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impact 'spray' looks good, but the ejected blood particles themselves are too big and too round.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's a lession I've always had a hard time dealing with. I'm sure you all can relate. You spend like an hour on something, maybe days. Be it code, art, music, whatever. And in the end you find out it sucks.

Yeah.. I think we call that learning! :) Seriously, don't be so hard on yourself. Doing something for that amount of time that isn't worth keeping will at least garner you some experience in that subject. Next time you go about doing it, you'll be more efficient and know what *not* to do.

I've written two complete games that aren't very good, but I still think they were absolutely necessary in getting me to the point I'm at today (less sucky Wink )!
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean I agree you're being too hard on yourself. If I had managed to code what you've already coded, I'd be doing ninja back flips all over my house. Remember man, "babysteps", "babysteps", ... ;)
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I set my standards a little too high. Still, I'm a big fan of gore. I want the brains to look good!

Quote:
The impact 'spray' looks good, but the ejected blood particles themselves are too big and too round.

Yeah they're placeholder. I'm putting all the elements in then tweaking. I got hungup on the spray though. I still need to add in muzzle flash.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:51 am; edited 2 times
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muzzle Flash came out pretty damn good. It'd not aligned with the gun right but the model itself and the light looks good.

This shot does a pretty nice job showing off the moonlight too.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sat May 25, 2013 1:29 pm; edited 4 times
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's times like these, the bugs deep down in the shit start cropping up.
Just a few months ago I wouldn't have had a clue how this engine does what it does. Now I'm pulling trig outta my ass, and it actually works.
There's still a bug or two, but I've got an ear to ear smile. And I think a bug I just fixed may have been the cause of my pain in animating the legs.

Two lessons I've learned today:

1) Never assume something you coded ages ago which has appeared to be working rock solid all this time, is bug-free.

2) Disable day/night cycles while testing. Fuckin keeps getting dark :(

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sat May 25, 2013 1:29 pm; edited 3 times
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, you blew his leg off :) I hope you intended for that to happen...

Looking much better, LB. I just fixed a buttload of bugs last week, so I'm feeling a lot better about my project. I ran into the same stuff, casually thinking "WTF, its worked for the past six months?!?" while watching everything go south during testing.

I hate it when that happens.
sam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something very funny about looking through code you've been depending on and realising you must have been drunk when you wrote it. I can't remember specifics but I know that's happened a few times to me. It breaks down and you're like, "but this is perfect code!" Eventually you notice you've been overwriting random chunks of the heap and it's pure coincidence that the code ever worked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh sadly, his leg is still attached. His hips happen to be twisted up. Don't worry, I'll be blowing stuff off soon enough (like tomorrow)!

I'm having issues with one thing attached to another thing while both have rotation. My mind is melted so I won't try to explain the details.

On the bright side my guns are working. I've never intented it but they've been great debugging tools (which lead me to the above bug discovery).

The M16 is an instant hit (a.k.a. hit-scan) gun. Currently it rotates whatever it hits slightly in random directions. So basically it twists and fucks with shit.

The paintball gun actually fires a projectile (can you guess what?!). The projectile spawns a splat which attaches to whatever it hits.

So with the two of these, I can paint something, then rotate it around. The paint moves along with whatever it's attached to.

Now that I think of it. The bug's not effecting the splats, or the skeleton, pretty much it's just the tree leaves. I'll sleep on it. Between what I've done so far and the work on the message board I think I've met my quota.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:53 am; edited 1 time
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's been a long weekend of coding for me. Sad to see it go. There's still an issue or two within the bowls of the engine. I had to remind myself that Phase I isn't intended to be a fully featured engine of badass. It's just got to be good enough to make Something. I can build on the complexity in the future.

I made some good progress after that. I now have gravity. Which isn't a hard thing to add. It's the collision with the ground that's the bitch. Something unique about this engine that I've never done before is there is no ground. One of the goals of this engine was to use the same object for everything. Characters, weapons, projectiles, particles, and yes even the ground are all made up from the same Things (they're actually called "thing" objects). So I couldn't just say, if Y < 0 land.
But, now that the one collision check is in that allows my character to hit the ground.. everything can hit the ground.. and everything can hit and land on anything. Just like that.

So here in the screenshot you can see I'm now able to climb the trees and snipe that punk bitch skeleton. Oh yeah, the M16 wastes shit now. I blew away my friend's skull and the eyes fell out and landed on his chest. When i blew the ribcage out the eyes fell on the ground.. the creepy thing was that they continued looking at me!

Oh I almost forgot a question I have for everyone. See that brown slab in the screenshot? Well that there is the rotating platform of hate. Named so because it turns up so many bugs :(
Anyway I was standing on it and spinning around like a tard and got to thinking. A) Should the direction your facing rotate with the platform? Or B) should you continue facing the direction your facing? I'm not sure if I'm explaining that well. Obviously your location will rotate around. But if your facing north, should your character auto-face himself to point north (unless he falls down or something)?
I've seen both ways done in games. Just wondering if anyone's got a preference.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sat May 25, 2013 1:31 pm; edited 4 times
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accuracy sez you should rotate with the object if you're standing on it and not moving/turning; but if you're going to have lots of these things in whatever game you end up making you might want to ignore that. I can see benefits for each approach, but my gut feeling says go for accuracy.
sam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if the player stays facing in a direction relative to the world he's turning his head or his body. So unless it makes for really poor gameplay, I say don't have the guy move/look unless the player says so.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd feel that turning with the platform would feel more natural and real.
I've had times where I'd jump on a platform in a game which is rotating, and my character would keep faceing the same direction, and I'd instantly notice this and it would just feel wrong.
perhaps implement both ways and then choose which one is better down the road when you have a game more fleshed out might be good? I don't know.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that guys, I shall make it so.

Here's an amusing shot I just had to post.

Obviously I'm playing with collision. No he didn't hit the tree so hard his feet flew off. Although I'd like to think so, his feet are actually underground due to my own lazyness.
I'm trying to get it where something that's airborn can hit other objects, then fall downward till they land on something. Still working out the kinks :)

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sat May 25, 2013 1:30 pm; edited 2 times
sam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked into using ODE or some engine like that? I'm not saying you should, I forget how any of them are licenced or if the API's are junk or whatever, but maybe it could speed you along the way.
edit: ode is just a physics engine, obviously I'm not suggesting using someone else's code for everything :) That would be crazy!

Edited by sam on Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:14 pm; edited 1 time
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half the fun's in making the engine :D
But there's other reasons..
I'm learning a ton from making this.
I know everything there is to know about the engine since I've made it. I know what it can and can not do, how to bend it to do my bidding etc.
There's stuff this engine can/will do that other's can't.
It's free for me to use.
I get to post all these cool screenshots!

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I realized there was a flaw in my control design. Game consoles require certain buttons do certain things to have some standards between games.

Like on xbox, A is always Accept. B is Cancel/Back. Y opens Live Options while waiting for a game to start.. etc..

So I've added a set of Menu Commands. The existing commands are now called Game Commands. The Menu Commands bind to the buttons required by the console's standards. Generally these can not be changed, however I've added a pref in the cfg file to enable them in the control options.

So now I can bind these commands depending on the target platform. And PC users can bind em anyway they wish.

I've improved the controll config even more. It also allows the same button to bind to multiple Commands as long as the Commands are each of different groups (Game or Menu).

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the lack of updates. Not much to show that's visual.
I've been working mainly on collision stuff. Things can now fly into stuff, land on the ground etc. It's possible to chop a tree in half with the M16 and have the top half fall to the ground. It won't lay flat yet but it does rotate as it falls and then freezes on contact with the ground or anything else it happens to land on.

I've also been working on the code that maintains character elevation over whatever it's walking on. Unlike other games where the character is one object and stuff like crouching simply shows a "crouching" model/animation with a smaller hitbox. This effects the velocity of the character to physically move it to the desired elevation (standing/crouching).
A cool side effect of this is when jumping. If you crouch down, then begin to stand up, the character has an upward velocity. If you jump while rising up you get current_velocity + jump_velocity = higher jump.

This all needs a great deal of tweaking and some debugging. Getting these motions to work nicely with the collision stuff has been more tricky thing I thought it would. It didn't help when I made the terrain all hilly either.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:53 am; edited 1 time
LeoDraco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean, that last screenshot looks like it would be something terribly painful for the skeleton, what with his hands physically melded to the weapons.

I think there was a Punisher villain that was like that; he had some sort of weird bionic arm that could be reshaped into whatever gun he wanted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could capture some video of the collision detection/gravity stuff? I'd really like to see this chopping trees down with guns trick you mentioned :-)

--Jon
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sat May 25, 2013 1:31 pm; edited 2 times
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Mutiny Engine Page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.