GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic Spring 2006 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Offtopic Spring 2006 Reply with quote

So anyone seen this show Robot Chicken?

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:01 am; edited 1 time
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Images? I'm too lazy. ;)
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the site:

http://www.adultswim.com/shows/robotchicken/

It's all stopmotion animation. Insane funny shit!

-Bean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After seeing that page I can already tell you that it's not my type of show. Keep in mind, though, that I rarely watch TV and if I do, it's definitely not to follow some specific program. I'm just way too lazy to bother.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught it once or twice. Great stuff. I watched Corpse Bride last night :)
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
Keep in mind, though, that I rarely watch TV and if I do, it's definitely not to follow some specific program. I'm just way too lazy to bother.

I don't even own a TV anymore. I downloaded every episode and watched them all last night ;)

Sirocco, how was Corpse Bride?

-Bean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corpse Bride was quite cool. Very much in the same vein as The Nightmare Before Christmas. Same macabre humor, goofy sets, lovely animation, and strangely appealing characters. This one seemed a bit more focused on the story, and didn't have the characters busting into a spontaneous song n' dance bit every five seconds, although there were plenty of them.
LeoDraco

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have not watched an episode (nor Adult Swim, sadly) in several months, I did pretty much watch from the beginning (or, at least, from when AS started showing it); Robot Chicken is simply hilarious, although some of the episodes are a bit wonky. The absolute best though was the Battlestar Galactica Blooper Reel segment; Seth Green is absolutely brilliant.

Bean, if you have not caught an episode of it, Family Guy is to die for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw yeah, Family Guy is unsurpassed in terms of TV comedy at the moment.

And now for something completely different... Mana from the gods?
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I'm also surprised it hasn't been done sooner. There must be some limitation they've overcome. Still it seems like a sold technology that shouldn't go bad on you after a few years (like cheap LCD's).
I never jumped on the LCD bandwagon due to the speed limitations, and the insane prices. I wouldn't mind one for a 2nd monitor but not for video/gaming.
Anyway, I look forward to this becoming mainstream.

-Bean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*mmm* Those look very sweet, indeed. The response time of a CRT in the casing of an LCD. What an obvious combination!
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.huxleygame.com

Fuck that looks bitchin!

-Bean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... I'm just waiting for the next installment of Unreal Tournament. I'd really like to see a Dune based MMOFPS with huge battles between Fremen and Sardaukar. That would be neat-o :)
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ausfx.com/forum/index.php/topic,4363.0.html

Fuck (again)!

edit: I'd love to see those meshes. It seems like a Lot of that detail is thanks to some excellent bump mapping.

edit some more: http://www.tothegame.com/screenshot.asp?id=4257

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:11 am; edited 1 time
LeoDraco

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
Fuck (again)!

edit: I'd love to see those meshes. It seems like a Lot of that detail is thanks to some excellent bump mapping.

Jesus, those are large screenshots. And, as you say, highly detailed models. I wonder what their target machine is?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump and Parallax mapping no doubt.

http://www.infiscape.com/doc/parallax_mapping.pdf

Those Unreal Tournament 3 shots do look better, but Gears of War is still in the same ballpark. Actually, I think the biggest noticable difference between the two is it appears UT3 in these shots uses higher detailed textures. Of course, when anyone will be able to afford a video card that can run UT3 on the PC in all that hi res glory ;).

But then comes the big question. This looks CG good, doesn't it? How are the console manufacturers going to justify another console generation after this one? More poly's? More cores? Stuff for this generation of consoles is looking damn good.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) Physics Processors.

And that shit looks badass as well.

-Bean

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

But then comes the big question. This looks CG good, doesn't it? How are the console manufacturers going to justify another console generation after this one? More poly's? More cores? Stuff for this generation of consoles is looking damn good.

Certainly that's a question that has been raised for a few years now. I'd have to say this generation was the very first that allowed me to play a game like Resident Evil 4 or Wind Waker and not be 'taken out of it' at some point by hokey/inconsistent/glitchy graphics. If the goal is photorealism, and these shots are indicative of what can be reasonably achieved, then we're 99% there. Certainly there's room for more 'oomph' in terms of making environments larger and involving larger groups of players/enemies/whatnot. Other than that, I really can't see the console race extending more than one generation past the one we're just now heading into.

Which is really scary because the progression has always been about graphics and control. This time Nintendo could be setting themselves up for a future sweep if their new control system is widely embraced. Immersion will have to be the next battleground, and control is a major facet in that experience. The gamepad is going the way of the dodo, it's just a matter of how long it can hold on.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if we are 99% there to perfect photorealism, it seems the closer we get, the more easily it is to spot the miss-consistencies. I mean, the thing that makes photorealism real is the chaotic and unpure nature of it with thousands of variables within every inch of matter. With any imitation, there is always a gap.
To fully experience a video game with true realism, is to somehow mesh the two together(combine the mechanics of the human body with the software), for instance, tapping into our brains and simulating a controled dream state where instructions from the software are giving with freedom for the individual to react accordingly.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good thing about photos is that the vast majority of them we are exposed to on a daily basis are relatively small, and if you printed screen shots out on glossy 6x9 stock there are already a few games available with graphics that could fool the casual viewer in that format. Granted, when you blow things up to a 27" display the little details start to get in the way ;)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal Crossing figurines and sets. Awesome... my wife will freak when she sees this.

No. Seriously. She must *never* see this post.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Hanson-White wrote:
To fully experience a video game with true realism, is to somehow mesh the two together(combine the mechanics of the human body with the software), for instance, tapping into our brains and simulating a controled dream state where instructions from the software are giving with freedom for the individual to react accordingly.

That's an interesting point, having video games becoming controlled hallucinations. Heh, as if catagorizations of video games weren't bad enough today. Going from an LCD display to an LSD display ;).

I'd like to think dedicated physics processing will push next next gen gaming, but rather quickly, game physics has gone from an afterthought to effectively implemented. With stuff described in a mere Verlet tutorial, a simple rag doll physics system can produce some convincing death. And with a solid box system like in Havok or Ageia (formerly Novodex), a temple or archway can beautifully crumble to the ground. As I see it, with physics middleware, it's more or less caught up to graphics at the moment. Sure, both need significant steps forward to be perfect, but it's a subtle stage of refinement for both.

The term "photorealalistic" may have been used years back to describe a PS1 game. With bloom and other simulations of camera artifacts going in games, like with some of the more recent CG effects, you get the odd de ja vu moment. Starting with Half Life 2 which has moments where the lighting an textures look right, Alan Wake has a few scenery scenes that make you go hmmm, and Fight Night 3. Ok, maybe not that last one.

Anyways, all I'm trying to get it much like a few of you guys have already said. Next time, it's going to take more than pretty graphics. Now, that might just be platform support. If all the developers move to the new platform, then you're going to buy the new one because you want all the new games. Does that mean gamers will become lemmings? And actually, is that a problem at all?
LeoDraco

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
Anyways, all I'm trying to get it much like a few of you guys have already said. Next time, it's going to take more than pretty graphics. Now, that might just be platform support. If all the developers move to the new platform, then you're going to buy the new one because you want all the new games. Does that mean gamers will become lemmings? And actually, is that a problem at all?

With the exception of those diehard, leet, oldskool gamers who refuse to touch 3D games with a ten-foot pole, gamers have pretty much been lemmings since there was such a thing as a "next generation" console offered: the purdier graphics, better gamepads, and doubled bits (hah!) caused an inevitable pull towards the newer machines.

Really, as long as the posit that capitalism is fine remains, that is not too bad: gamers want to have new games, game developers want the latest (and ostensibly greatest) games out on the market to sell, and game system developers tell everyone else that those games can be found on their new system. It's a win-win(er, -win) situation.

Personally, I can hardly wait until later this year with the PS3 and the Revolution hit shelves.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think in terms of profit, companies would want the hardware race to come to an abrupt end so they can soak up all the easy profit from software sales without having to worry about losing money selling consoles.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were no new consoles coming out, companies would have to become more inovative in their products as time passed, because people would want new things, and not repeats which companies can get away with each time a new console comes out(do the saem thing but just with newer graphics and whatnot)..
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic Spring 2006 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.