GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Allegro v4.2.0 RC.2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Allegro v4.2.0 RC.2 Reply with quote

Is now out and available for download. Check this thread for more details, including precompiled packs for various compilers.

For those who are still blissfully aware of its functionality, Allegro is a cross-platform game programming library in the same vein as DirectX and SDL. Fully open source, and easy to extend via libraries and add-ons, Allegro has a huge (and bustling) support site at Allegro.cc. Although not yet fully integrated, Allegro embraces OpenGL via two libs: AllegroGL and OpenLayer.

Allegro supports DOS, Win32, Linux, MacOS, and other platforms as well.
mandrake
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it's a shame that Allegro isn't as in-grained in the Linux world as SDL. I mean, it should come with at least one distro....

At least with OSX you can just toss out the binaries. Bah. A pox on source based installs!

Too bad, since I think this is the only thing keeping Allegro from truly being cross-platform. That, and half of the add-on libs are X86 only.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think AllegroGL and OpenLayer will go a long way toward pushing Allegro to the forefront. SDL currently has the advantage when it comes to OpenGL support, but it can't touch Allegro in terms of ease of use and ability to cross so many platforms.

I must admit libs like Allegro and SDL have gone a long way toward removing much of the pointless hardware-related BS that goes into making a game. When I think about how it was back in the early DOS days... *shudder*
Blick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past I've tried to get Allegro to work with Dev C++ and it failed each time. I made sure I did everything right, but it still screwed up along the line somewhere. Maybe I'll try again soon.
spellcaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An easy solution would be not to use Dev-Cpp.
I used it for about 2days, found several really annoying bugs, wanted to fix them (hey, it's open source after all), had a look at the source code and deinstalled it.

Simply use mingw as compiler and an editor of your choice, like Scite.
JPGrosse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I had the same experience with DevC++. Also SciTE together with the code markup which someone at allegro.cc compiled from the docs works wonders.
mandrake
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that statement. Besides, as a programmer you should know all of your compilers command lines, and all of it's little functions. Automation is helpful, but I don't think it speeds up development that fast.

Just use MinGW and ScIte.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In the past I've tried to get Allegro to work with Dev C++ and it failed each time. I made sure I did everything right, but it still screwed up along the line somewhere. Maybe I'll try again soon.

I've never had any problems with it... except that when I went to compile Allegro 4 (when it first came out) it conflicted the the RHIDE/Allegro 3 installation I had on another drive ;)

That said, Dev-C++ does have some bugs, but nothing that holds me up.

What were you trying to do, build Allegro, or compile an Allegro-enabled program?
mandrake
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't like it's syntax highlighting. ScIte has some great syntax highlighting for C/C++, including folding code chunks and highlighting two { }. So you can visually check to see where each { ends properly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scite is indeed, lovely. I spent a little while working on Scite-GTK2, which will be a very sexy little widget when it's finished.

Personally, I've just switched from Vim to Bluefish (link), which has some very attractive syntax highlighting stuff, customisable using regular expressions. I think there is a Win32 port, too (and don't be put off by it's billing as an HTML editor - it supports loads of filetypes, external compilers etc).

--Jon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also SciTE together with the code markup which someone at allegro.cc compiled from the docs works wonders.

You can create an update markup from the documentation - an appropriate target is included with allegro now.
Blick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What were you trying to do, build Allegro, or compile an Allegro-enabled program?

I was trying to build Allegro, I think. I'm not much of a programmer so I don't worry about it. I seem to be cut out more for the art side of things.
spellcaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago, I created a windows installer, with allegro and Relo. It's not the latest allegro version, though.

I wanted to update it as soon as the next version is released, but I could create an easy allegro installer for RC2 as well.

Here's a link to the "old" version (aka: the version with 4.0.3 allegro):
http://easyallegro.sourceforge.net
Madgarden
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also just set up an editor like Editplus to work with mingw. You don't get the IDE, but you get a nice syntax-hilighted editor with user tools for building your stuff. GDB can take care of the rest, if you're inclined to learn it.

[EDIT: removed redundant information]
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.