GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic Summer 2006 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Offtopic Summer 2006 Reply with quote

Transformers:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/31/new-chevy-camaro-to-star-transformers-movie/

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:31 am; edited 1 time
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short of the BMW Films, and Night Rider, that makes it the 3rd major non cartoon production to star a car... until someone add's another to the list. ;)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, we get to work with these now instead of our old Dell boxes in our OEM systems. Each system we design usually gets one or two PCs, depending on various factors. The neat things about these being:

1. The whole thing runs off of 24v DC current. That's awfully spiffy.
2. No fans or moving parts, assuming you opt for flash storage instead of a HD. Either way, no fans :)
3. Has a buttload of ports: two ethernet, four USB, VGA and DVI, serial, etc.
4. Small footprint. The computer is about the size of a desktop organizer (like a DayRunner).

And now for the bad stuff:

1. Low voltage means the USB ports don't have a lot of juice flowing through them. This only affects a few devices like external CD/DVD-ROMs that need lotsa power to operate.
2. Processor speeds and loadout are modest at best. Good thing we don't really need it for our apps.
3. Cost. Industrial stuff is always pricey. You won't be snagging one of these for the house, I assure you.

[/quote]
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty swank little box.

As for the USB power issue. A powered USB Hub can solve that problem.

-Bean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When these things are out in the field they only have a touch panel interface running over USB, but it's low voltage so it works fine. Where we run into trouble is during the initial loadout where I have to hook an external DVD-rom up to it. That's the only time I have to rely on an external power source. As long as you're just hooking stuff into it like memory sticks, mice or keyboards you won't have any problems.

Still, if the price were more in line with general consumption instead of industrial applications I'd love to take one of these home and bolt it to the back side of my entertainment center. Allen Bradley makes some hella tiny PCs like that, but they are incredibly (actually, unbearably) noisy and they tend to have quality control issues.

Late edit: (didn't want to make another post)

PSP. The handheld of choice for the overweight subway crowd. Oh man, that's rough.
PoV

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funky little animation of depicting the battle between a flash developer and his animaiton creation.

http://abum.com/file/shadow/animations/17632.swf

Fun use of a graphical user interface as weapons, tools, and tactics. :D

And then there's this... http://www.yogabbagabba.com
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't exactly off-topic, but it's the first thing worthy of releasing in a while, and it looks very cool in motion (too bad this is just a still shot).

DarkDread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
Yay, we get to work with these now instead of our old Dell boxes in our OEM systems. Each system we design usually gets one or two PCs, depending on various factors.

Hahah... the PC 420. Dude! :P
PoV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray for teh intarnetz. [url=game junkies[/url].

Yeah, stolen from Kotaku, 'cause they rule.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit that was great!

-Bean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just a 3D user iterface, a [url= based user interface[/url]. I'm in awe by it's coolness.
Alex
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want that.. :0
NyanNyanKoneko
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that 3D desktop works: it just makes things more complex. Can you imagine using that to sort through and organize your MP3 collection in those piles? Probably not.

I do like their ideas about lassoing though. I wonder why no one thought of that before to add a menu after a full lassoing.

I always believe in terms of UI and design, less is more. Yes 2D old-school, but it's very simple and easy to work with, especially since you're working with a 2D monitor. When we can project 3D holograms, then we will need a desktop like that, at least. At that point, it probably won't be as ackward to navigate around.
PoV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally, I agree for normal management of files, it maybe isn't the most ideal of interfaces. Especially given there's nothing there about file names, it's incomplete. It really only works with files that can be distinguished by their icons. However, I'm a desktop dumper, which means I leave a lot of crap on my desktop. For me, a shiny interface, and the means to be able to stack thing (mostly for my amusement) is a hoot.

And yeah, the lassoing and guesture through the middle, genius. Even the "pig tail" is a pretty clever one, since you don't have to make your way to the start point (icons may be in the way).

And what the heck's with the guy's "$$$" jewelry. :D "Check me out, my project is money!" :P
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I do like their ideas about lassoing though. I wonder why no one thought of that before to add a menu after a full lassoing.

I have to be the wet blanket and say that aside from the lassoing I find the whole thing terribly useless in a real world situation. Looks neat, though.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco, I have to wholeheartedly agree with you. While being able to mimic the messes we leave on our real-life desks is a novel and fun little idea, it won't do much for productivity. Sure, it offeres features like autopiling items but I would still find it a PITA to get that one thing I'm looking for. When your desk is full of junk, how easy is it to find that one thing you want? You end up displacing everything and making more of a mess than was there originally and more often than not, you never find that one thing you originally set out to get a hold of. It's totally sweet, but I don't think it'd be practical for me. Then again, I keep my desktop in real life, and in the computer world, as clean as possible.

What this could be extremely useful for is, say, having "bins" where you can dump files into. That is, this will take all the files in a given directory (whatever one is messy) and then you can arrange, sort, whatever, and then throw them into bins. These bins would then perform actions on the files, one of the obvious actions being putting them into a subfolder with the name of that given bin. The possiblities could vary greatly.

As a desktop interface replacement, though, I prefer the scheme that most systems use now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone else imagine this merged with that touch experiments table thing from a couple of months back? Now, that would be an intriguing meshing of technology.

Like most technology, I think that once people got a feel for this, and actually had a chance to make it their own, the idea would pick up a whole lot faster. (Isn't Vista supposed to have 3D nonsense in its windows at some point? I seem to recall stacking of windows along the arbitrary axes being mentioned at one point or another. Später Ah, yes! I knew I had read somethng on that: Windows Flip 3D was what I was referring to.) The idea is rather neat, but, as POV pointed out, file names would have to be added in for most types of files for this to be entirely useful.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, next thing you know they'll be adding jumping puzzles to the desktop. "To get that file, you must jump from Pile A to Pile B and grab the ledge of Pile C." :p

It looks neat but I have so many files (and folders) on my Desktop that I would, like, go crazy. :)
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty but it still doesn't beat a list.
I miss the days of being able to sort by file extension. Will Vista do that? I've little doubrt Linux and OSX do.

Mouse gestures own that's for sure. I've been using StrokeIt for a couple of years now and don't know where I'd be without gestures. I can live without a 3D UI though.

-Bean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I miss the days of being able to sort by file extension.

Back in the DOS days, I always had Norton Commander set to sort by extension :) It's the only way to fly.
PoV

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
..., it won't do much for productivity.

You know, if my desktop worked that way, I'd guarentee my productivity would drop dramatically.

Bean wrote:
I miss the days of being able to sort by file extension.

What aspect of it do you miss? The "sort by type" seems to do the job, though it does group extensions of similar nature. .log and .txt files get flagged as text documents, .psp and .pspimage get flagged a paint shop pro images, etc. Sure, I guess it could be more precise, but I guess that doesn't really bother me all that much. WindowsKey+E is does me well. :D And I guess if I *really* wanted a certain file type to stand out, you can rename them in Folder Options/File Types.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or you could just sort by extention.
That is, if the option was there. Since Windows 3.11, MS decided extentions were too scary for people and dumbed down the OS. File type != extension.

-Bean

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't come off all mac fanboy-ish :-)

I don't think I've used a file browser for over a year now - I let OSX Spotlight find my files for me. I hit ctrl-space, type a few words I remember from the file I'm looking for, and it finds the file 99% of the time, within a second of so. The other 1% of the time, I've usually spelt a keyword incorrectly. I think searching by metadata is vastly more powerful (and natural[1]) than any kind of spatial desktop, because while spatial is a good representation of reality, I think my mind still works using word association.

The implementation is pretty clever, too. The Spotlight indexer has hooks into the OS file write calls, so each time any application saves data, it's indexed and the relevent metadata is pulled from the file. Two advantages of this: 1) Your apps don't have to be written to support Spotlight, it just does. 2) You don't need a daemon to 'index' your content periodically, because the indexes are up-to-date all the time (well, since the last time you hit 'save' in an app).

Anyway, I think that desktop search is far more powerful that any kind of file browser. Now I'll shut the fuck up :-)

--Jon

[1] I wrote this, but I think I should expand it: if you extend the spatial metaphor to the real world, it would allow me to search on the table in front of me for, say "The folder with the papers which I left to my left". Thing is, my mind doesn't often work that way - more commonly I'll remember things about the items for which I'm searching - keywords. For example "The folder is green and about 30x25cm", then I just scan my desk looking for things which match that. Maybe this is just me, but the hunting method is more efficient.
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon you hit on a good point. I think a lot of people's monds work differently. I'm actually quite different in that I Do know things by location more often then not. My physical desk is arranged by location. I know that my calculator, pens, sharpies, phone etc. etc. are all in their position. I have many notes on my desk and they're located by type and priority. I'm not saying this 3D desktop would be better for me for file browsing though ..I still prefer a categorized hiarchy. i'm just saying people differ. One way is not better then another (I don't think), were all just wired different for whatever reason(s).

I believe Vista will have SpotLight style file searching (unless that got axed like so many other features). Out of the box this is the only way to get files in Windows Mobile. I personally hate it, but I think it's a good option for those that prefer this method.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty good optical mindfuck. Give this a try (no zombies or anything pop out, you can have the volume down).

-Bean
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.