GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic Winter 2006 Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Offtopic Winter 2006 Reply with quote

Turkey, snow, and video games!

So I guess Gears of War is a big hit. Someone was telling me how great it is. I asked him, "what makes it better then any other FPS?". The answer of course, "nothing.".
But I guess a polished game with solid controls and sexy graphics is never a bad thing. Not to mention 360 Needs more quality games. Maybe after the holiday's I'll buy one. Although I said that last year..

-Bean

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want UT2007 to come out. The last I heard, though, people were estimating Q2 or Q3 of next year.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I protest this thread on the basis that Winter doesn't start until Dec. 21st. Actually it was a very gorgeous day here today, which was quite nice.
DoG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I protest mikedoty's protest on the basis that its already friggin cold and it has snowed already and did I mention its friggin cold? Cold enough to kill my car's battery at any rate, which is sufficient for me to declare this an electrochemical winter, at least.

you can click me!
Sirocco

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wish for UT2007, especially if they do what they promised to eliminate the damnable practice of 'bunny hopping'. Online play in 2004 was pretty shite because of that, but offline was surprisingly good.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some of you guys will be interested in this: http://starmen.net/devotion/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking with Jack Dark about that last night. I'm extremely excited about it, but as with all ROM translations I tend to forget about it until a random slashdot/game blog post mentions it has been released.

Oh, and our local Wal-mart has put all of their Gamecube titles on clearance. They have Killer 7, Geist, Fire Emblem, and Smash Brothers for $14.88 apiece; everything else was sold out. I managed to snag the last copy of Fire Emblem :)
soniCron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
I think some of you guys will be interested in this: http://starmen.net/devotion/
For what it's worth, these guys have been working on a translation for a few months, now.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoG wrote:
I protest mikedoty's protest on the basis that its already friggin cold and it has snowed already and did I mention its friggin cold? Cold enough to kill my car's battery at any rate, which is sufficient for me to declare this an electrochemical winter, at least.

I protest your protest of my protest by testingly and protestingly protesting the very use of the word winter on the merits that such language starkly reminds me of the fact that we will indeed have a winter and that I will not enjoy it very much!
Ironblayde

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
I also wish for UT2007, especially if they do what they promised to eliminate the damnable practice of 'bunny hopping'. Online play in 2004 was pretty shite because of that, but offline was surprisingly good.

The thing that really irritated me about online play in UT2004 was the lack of a proper bright skins mutator on the whitelist. UTComp has a nice bright skins option, but most public servers I know won't run it since it's not whitelisted. I do fine in PUGs and clan matches (though I don't play competitively anymore), but when I play on a public server, I have trouble seeing people. This is especially annoying because my favorite game type is Onslaught, where long ranges come into play far more often than in a deathmatch.
DoG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikedoty wrote:
I protest your protest of my protest by testingly and protestingly protesting the very use of the word winter on the merits that such language starkly reminds me of the fact that we will indeed have a winter and that I will not enjoy it very much!

I... err... *** ERROR!!! *** EXCEPTION SIGPROTEST *** ... you win.

you can click me!
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too protest this thread because in half the world it is actually Summer.

On another note: Does anyone know if the AV cables for xbox1 work with 360? I need S-Video and Optical audio and really don't feel like shelling out for a little box that does that, again.
Games that I want to play are finally coming around but I'm not thrilled about the cost of admission. System: $399, Live: $50, Game: $60?, AV: $30, Sales Tax: $40.. that's close to $600 and we've still only got one game.
There's a lot better shit I can buy for $600 (no not a fuckin PS3 either).

-Bean

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I like about PC gaming is that is you're willing to wait a year or so it's *cheap*. Our Big Lots is notorious for getting slightly old games and dumping them for $5 apiece. Last week I snagged Project:Snowblind and MoH: Pacific Assault (director's cut). Before that I grabbed Demonstone, Scrapland, Tron 2.0, and Cold Fear. I figure with my processor I can spring for a $60 video card every two years and stay current, so I can play all the old games. I've got a bunch more like Evil Genius and Brothers in Arms that I haven't even taken out of the box yet (O_o)

But in a little over a week I'll be plunking down around $600 for a Wii and a bunch of games, so I guess I've got no room to talk. Heh.

Edit:

Damn damn damn. All these little bloggo bastards like Gonintendo and Kotaku are getting their Wiis early and are already up and playing. Sitting here, with no Wii, waiting for the 19th makes me unimaginably angry, somewhat like Godzilla might feel as he's rising from the ocean to smash the hell out of Tokyo. Again.
Ironblayde

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved consoles when I was younger, but over the years I drifted over to PC gaming. I own an XBox, but it's gotten more use as a DVD player than as a gaming system.

The kinds of games I tend to enjoy most are simply better suited to a PC. Others may disagree, but playing a fast-paced FPS like UT2004 sucks on a console. There's no way a console controller can even come close to matching a keyboard and mouse for precision and customizability in a game like that. Not to mention that the image is infinitely clearer on my monitor than it would be on my TV. Guild Wars is another example from a different genre. I just don't see how it could work on a console.

I love being able to create new content for the games I play, or get new stuff that other people have done. To use the example of Unreal Tournament again, I'm looking forward to having a new version of UnrealEd to play with almost as much as I'm looking forward to the actual game. :) Tinkering with map editors and script editors and such is great fun. I'm guessing (?) that console games are moving more in this direction as online play becomes more important, but it's been around for ages on the PC, and it's very convenient to have the game and the development tools running on the same machine.

I love gaming on a machine that lets you run all kinds of other things at the same time. Voice chat programs, IM programs, and IRC are great for getting a game organized. A web browser is nice to have if you need to look up some information in the middle of a game. A text editor is nice to have if you need to take notes or remember something for awhile. Yes, I'm aware that things like this are available in many console environments / games, but not with the same variety and usability.

This isn't an attempt to argue that the PC is a better gaming platform than a console; I'm fully aware that consoles have lots of things going for them too. In the end it all comes down to what a particular gamer wants, and that will vary wildly from one person to the next. I'm just sharing my opinion. :)
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironblayde wrote:
This isn't an attempt to argue that the PC is a better gaming platform than a console;

Could've fooled me :P
Ironblayde

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiet, you. :)

Seriously though, everything I said in that post could easily be turned around to argue in favor of console gaming. Some types of games are far better suited to a controller of some kind than to a keyboard and mouse. Content creation is something that only a relatively small percentage of gamers get into, and add-ons for console games will probably become more popular as time goes on. A PC may be a more versatile machine, but consoles are a lot easier to use. And the fact that there are infinite varieties of PC out there can produce all kinds of headaches over compatibility problems and such, as every PC gamer knows. Console games, on the other hand, will run the same way on every system.

And of course, with a console, you can get two or three or four friends together and play a multiplayer game on one system. Sure, PC gamers can do LAN parties, but it's a pain in the ass hauling that equipment around, and in my experience, dealing with the inevitable network errors that come up.

As I said, it's all a matter of what you're looking for. Sirocco shared his thoughts, so I shared mine. I'm not proselytizing, just killing time on a Friday afternoon. :)
JonA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy drawing a car in MS Paint - apparently it took around 4 hours in realtime. Of course, this begs the question 'why the fuck would you do this', but if QBASIC oddballs have shown us anything, it's that people hate upgrading their tools :-)

--Jon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy has some of the worst spelling I've ever seen, but the ability to accomplish -- well, anything -- using MS Paint is pretty impressive. :)
NyanNyanKoneko
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seriously though, everything I said in that post could easily be turned around to argue in favor of console gaming.

Could've fooled me :P
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threadless is having a holiday ditty where they release new shirts every day for 30 days. They're on sale for $10 too :)

-Bean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Nintendo pulled a cool PR stunt for some of the gamer sites. They delivered their review Wii's, in an Ice Cream Truck!

Some video action.

http://gamevideos.com/video/id/7438

http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/nintendo-delivers-wii-in-ice-cream-trucks-214044.php
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*mm* Edible Wiis...

Wait! No. I didn't mean... uh...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiley: Networking and Online Games

ebook download: http://www.ebookshare.net/2006/11/15/john-wiley-and-sons-networking-and-online-games-jun-2006/

Might be interesting to someone.

--Jon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. It's interesting to me! *snags it* Now if only I wouldn't get in trouble for printing this in the computer lab on campus.... ;)
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally woulda jumped in that ice cream truck. Screw the console.. two chicks with lots of treats? Shiiiiiiit..

-Bean
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.