GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Neverfall | [BETA/DEMO] Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is me urging those who have played to venture further and at least go scrounging through the second and third areas. :]

Need moar feedbacks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry; been sick. I'm slowly getting into your project, and Syn9's.
PoV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for some of the prior issues to get ironed out first, since everyone is only a fresh pair of eyes once. It'd be a waste if we all played it initially. Desensitized. :)

I know that sounds like slacking, but I'm serious. :D
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psh :] There is still so much more that would be fresh to your eyes.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real life distractions... they suck. Have you seen my previous comments? I think there is a bug with the area names not being displayed at all now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Are the letterbox bars showing at all? I assume you moved to a new tileset and nothing showed?

Could be a floating point problem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly (very slowly) getting back into gear. It's been a real pleasure to take a 100% break from working on NF. Spending time with other activities is quite relaxing. Looking forward to being (officially) done with NF. Very, very close.

Anyhow, started by making audio configurable (again, since I originally took it out!) :] Will probably look into the area name displaying bug next.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated build:
Mac | Win

What's new:
- Configurable audio quality
- Gamepad analog stick for movement (chooses [should, at least] first stick, let me know if for some reason it's the "wrong" one for you, may need to make this configurable, too)

Caveats:
- You need to delete your gameSettings.txt (in ./data) and reconfigure your controls
- (for Mac users this exists inside the bundle)

Anyone who had problems with audio or gamepad please try this build.

Also, anyone get any further?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Since none of you bit with that one, it's now been updated again (links in previous post)

What's new:
- Negg now have more visual feedback as to what's going on
- Visual feedback when any NPCs are converted to happy
- Potential fix for sticky-letterbox

Same caveat as before. :]
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The windows zipfile is broken :(. Please reupload.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the problem with it? Corrupted?

I won't be able to fix for ~9 hours :[
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrupted it is :(.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fixed now. Sorry about that.
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy that I can use my gamepad now, it really makes the game better to play.
I really do like the Ollers. They are cute.

Setting the audio to low quality does not get rid off the lag. And the menu still shows high quality even though it is not.
There is still no text showing up telling me where I am.
The visual feedback for the Neggs is really slow. It can take several seconds for them to realize that they have a buddy.
I found a place where the map did not show any openings where it clearly should be. I took a screenshot but it came out black.

I did advance quite far this time around, I think I have collected close to half of the Neggs and alot of the Ollers. Though, is there any way to get back up? On my way down I found a locked door with a musicbox behind that I could not open at the time. Every way I find seems to be a dead end atm. I have the high jump and double jump things.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm happy that I can use my gamepad now, it really makes the game better to play.

Glad it's working!

Quote:
Setting the audio to low quality does not get rid off the lag. And the menu still shows high quality even though it is not.

What about normal? :] Latter part is a bug -- filed.

Quote:
There is still no text showing up telling me where I am.

Do the letterbox banners show, or you just get no text when switching areas? If you've seen it once, it will not show again.

Quote:
The visual feedback for the Neggs is really slow. It can take several seconds for them to realize that they have a buddy.

This is as designed, but perhaps it's a poor design? It can be sped up so you don't have to spend so much time sitting around waiting for them to pair up. Was it more of a "this is taking too long, it's making me impatient and I'm bored" or "WTF is going on I have no idea/confused" feeling for you?

Quote:
I found a place where the map did not show any openings where it clearly should be. I took a screenshot but it came out black.

Which general area was it in? Since the names aren't showing for you: was it the starting tileset, the swampy one, or the caves one?

I'll scrounge around and look for it. Thanks for noticing. It was a long process adding in all the opening spots in the minimap.

Quote:
Though, is there any way to get back up? On my way down I found a locked door with a musicbox behind that I could not open at the time. Every way I find seems to be a dead end atm.I have the high jump and double jump things.

If you have high and double jump then you should have already back tracked through the first area at least once? In order to get back you need to take the same path as the first time. You can't get back the "short" route until you get yet another powerup.

And now, a few questions:
- How does the pacing feel?
- Do the later areas seem as empty as the first one?
- Is there enough "Hm, I can't get to that yet, need to save for later" to keep you intrigued?
- Thoughts on the music?

Again, thanks for the feedback. Helps immensely at understanding how people will play through the game. Ironically, I haven't had much opportunity to watch anyone play and see the kinds of things they do when learning how the world works.
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about normal? :] Latter part is a bug -- filed.
Normal are as the others.

Quote:
Do the letterbox banners show, or you just get no text when switching areas? If you've seen it once, it will not show again.

Nope, I cant see anything at all.
EDIT: Scrap that. I noticed that the text is actually showing. I entered a new area called Turien I think and it showed very very briefly. Maybe its just me going blind and it have been appearing at all times or something else. Iīm playing windowed now when I saw the text appear.
Quote:
This is as designed, but perhaps it's a poor design? It can be sped up so you don't have to spend so much time sitting around waiting for them to pair up. Was it more of a "this is taking too long, it's making me impatient and I'm bored" or "WTF is going on I have no idea/confused" feeling for you?

At first it was "WTF is going on I have no idea/confused" but then it was "this is taking too long, it's making me impatient and I'm bored". I also felt "I wonder why I cant carry the Negg's but the bigger Ollers".
Quote:
Which general area was it in? Since the names aren't showing for you: was it the starting tileset, the swampy one, or the caves one?
It was the green swampy area where you enter a room that contains three Ollers. I have marked the spot with an red arrow on the screenshot included here under.

Quote:
If you have high and double jump then you should have already back tracked through the first area at least once? In order to get back you need to take the same path as the first time. You can't get back the "short" route until you get yet another powerup.

All places upward seems locked for me (until now it is because I found another Oller. I have helped 17 of them and I believe I can unlock a door now).

Quote:

And now, a few questions:
- How does the pacing feel?
- Do the later areas seem as empty as the first one?

I think the pacing is good and I honestly didnīt even reflect on that first area felt empty. The other places has creatures all over them so I dont think you should worry about that.

Quote:
- Is there enough "Hm, I can't get to that yet, need to save for later" to keep you intrigued?
Yes, so far at least :).
Quote:
- Thoughts on the music?
The tracks feels short in general. The music is over fairly quickly. I like the music that plays in the brick/pillar area.

At this point I dont understand the Dom's at all...

Oh and I found a bug. My little character clearly teleports into a secret area when moving against the wall.
And you can clearly notice the lagging soundeffects in the clip.

Edit2:
I found another bug. I was out walking with an Oller, jumping down a hole when this happened.
The character vanished into thin air and the map didnīt change.

Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened when I loaded a gamefile after getting stuck in limbo with the Oller.

I finally found myself a way up to the surface again and found both instruments and have started to backtrack downwards to play for all the flowerians. Got myself stuck behind a wall on my way back from a hidden flowerian. Been trying for at least five minutes to figure out when to jump. Its kinda evil to not having a straight way when the player cant see the character.

Edit: NM found my way back after quite awhile. Think Iīm starting to get tired.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing map exit: thanks, will update.

Quote:
At this point I dont understand the Dom's at all...

That's expected, I guess. There's a little bit you can do to experiment, but to give you a hint: you're not ready to tackle them just yet.

Quote:
I also felt "I wonder why I cant carry the Negg's but the bigger Ollers".

This is as designed so you can't cheat and carry Negg from one spot all the way to some other spot to pair them up. As it stands now, it would be difficult to allow this while not breaking some of the backtracking/etc.

Quote:
The tracks feels short in general. The music is over fairly quickly.

I'll see if I can get some slightly lengthier tracks. My brother is doing the music and I think he plans on revisiting the tracks that are currently there.

Video 1: Definitely a bug. Just happens that the way the tiles are laid out and the wall ejection code works, you got booted into a bad space. Will fix (by changing tile arrangement)
Video 2: Looks like somehow you passed through the map exit and just fell straight on through into unmapped regions. Need to see if I can reproduce on that map. Let me know if you're able to make it happen again. Holding an Oller shouldn't have anything to do with it, FWIW.
Video 3: Appears I'm not clearing out the currently held object when loading a saved game. Glad you found that one. Probably need to do fixes for the inventory, too.
Video 4: I can tweak that area and make it easier to figure out how to get out. I understand exactly what you mean about it being evil. Can make a ramp so you don't have to jump. The secret stuff behind there is just ingrained in my mind. :] There are a few other evil secret areas, as well. I'll have to tweak those a slightly, as well.

Loving the feedback. Very good stuff with the bugs and secret areas. Not sure what the hell do to about the lagging audio. All the settings use different buffer sizes, so I'm surprised not a single one of them works. Could be the version of SDL. Unsure how I'm going to fix it.

PoV will be happy to see my game has found it's way onto YouTube ;]

Also, makes me happy to see that you are, at least somewhat, enjoying the adventure. :]

[edit] Just filed so many tickets. Amazing, considering all the ones that previously existed were filed ~4 years ago!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
PoV will be happy to see my game has found it's way onto YouTube ;]

I was about to say, then I noticed it wasn't you. ;)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realized there's a bug where you cannot get to the end area -- not that there's anything to see there anyway. The last Vonil was in a state where it was not able to be converted in to a happy state. I'll be getting a new build up soon which fixes that and addresses a whole bunch of other issues.

For people who are already far into the game, updating won't fix it, as the world state is saved to your save file. You'll have to live with the fact that you can't convert every denizen of the world to happiness! If it's really worth it to you, I can write a smaller patcher or something that can inject the right stuff into your save file. Let me know.

For anyone who hasn't played far, you may want to consider starting over in order to have a world where everyone can be made happy, once the new build is up.

Updated build coming soon. Stay tuned.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated build:
Mac | Win

What's new:
- Secret areas should be easier to get out of
- Fix a bug where you can't tell which instrument a specific Flowrian wants (displays off screen)
- Held/Following objects are not unset when loading a saved game
- Fix map where player is wrongly ejected
- Fixed the high jump boot area so you can get out while carrying Oller
- Get rid of "backward jump" at first Negg encounter
- Fix minimap missing exit
- Fix not being able to get to the empty "end" room

Caveats:
- Old build is not beatable. This build is. Old saves will still remain unbeatable, though
- If you want to be beatable, you have to start over
--- If that irks you, tell me. I can try to write a save-game injector that will update your save to make it beatable

Stuff not fixed:
- Falling through the world (can't reproduce BadMrBox's problem)
- Name displaying banners not showing, showing the wrong thing, or displaying letterbox forever
- Audio lag bug

Enjoy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@BadMrBox:
Quote:

I'm not seeing this behavior. Can you try again?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was playing through it, but sadly got stuck with the eggs. Clearly I suck or something. I'll give it another shot tonight and see where exactly I'm getting stuck. I don't think I'm ever getting the eggs to pair up? Is that what they want? They roll behind me for a few seconds then stop abruptly.

Oh, I'm using an older build. Better redownload.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redownload will make the eggs a little more obvious, definitely. ;] Get latest DL.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated build:
Mac | Win

What's new:
- "Herp derp" (old) robot head no longer displays for save icon
- Option to "double" window size
- New song (Nuria/Lune+Sune peak)
- Fixed area name display bug

This will probably be the last one for a while unless there are any other test-preventing issues. Please continue playing and give me all the feedback you can.

Last things to do are get final music for all areas, add in a few more special NPCs guys, and hash out the ending. It's on!

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.