GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> The GDR Podcast - Episode 2 Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: The GDR Podcast - Episode 2 Reply with quote

Previous Episodes
Episode 1

Alright everyone. It's November, so let's start ramping up and figure out just exactly what's going to go down in episode 2. In trying to keep the 'cast monthly, I'm going to shoot for the middle of each month for the recording. I'll stick with Saturdays as that just seems like an easy day to choose. Sure, I know people go out and have fun, but if you want to join in you're just going to have to suck it up. ;)

Since in this month we have Thanksgiving, I'm going to open up the recording days to two Satudays: Satuday, Nov 10th, and Saturday, Nov 17th. 7:00PM (time can be whenever, really, though). I know lots of people travel and have stuff to prepare for the big Turkey day, so if you're interested in joining please let me know which day works better for you, and we can pick the most popular. If all of the votes are "both work", then we will choose the 17th date. As for myself, both dates work fine :)

Also, feel free to post any suggestions or requests on things you'd like us to cover this month. I'd like to divert away from super high level "what are you working on" type of stuff and get a bit more into the nitty gritty, with programming related topics. It would be nice to switch off every month from designy stuff to more lower level stuff.

[edit]
Episode 2 : Direct Link
GDRCast 2007.11.17.mp3 ~ 7.12mb -- This one is low quality. It should be good enough to listen to. If you have problems let me know and I can throw one up with slightly better fidelity.
mirror

Edited by sonrisu on Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:45 pm; edited 3 times
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't promise anything, but both dates would work for me. If it's the 17th, I can probably pick which hour I come online, but for the other date the hour would need to be calculated pretty exactly for me to be able to join, since I have a 2 hour window in which I can join that night.
n29
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job guys (and gal) I really enjoyed the first one. It was fun to listen to what you three are working on. Looking forward to #2!
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't commented on episode 1 yet so here goes; It was fun to listen to you guys about your projects and stuff. And personally, I didn't feel that it was to long either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since not many people are voting or voicing there opinion, I'm going to set this up for this upcoming weekend! Saturday, Nov 10th, 7:00 PM EST (for gil! I'm rooting for you to be in at least ONE episode!) How it works is you hop into ##gdr and then we take it from there -- coordinating skypage, etc.

Some topics I think we should cover this episode: losing interest in projects (relating to one of the speaker's own projects, as well as projects that you've been very interested and then have seen die), the last complete indie game you played, enjoyed, and why.

Feel free to suggest your own topics.

[edit] Date has been moved. See subsequent postage.

Edited by sonrisu on Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:18 pm; edited 1 time
NyanNyanKoneko
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh, I just found out I have a thanksgiving dinner on Saturday the 10th.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and I just noticed that I have an important event to go to. Can we postpone it another week? I really want to be in one..
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was doing that date because it seemed you would be more available then, gil. Let's set it for the following week then: Saturday, November 17th, 7:00PM EST. gil, I know you may potentially have issues with this time slot. Speak up if you do. I have no issues recording at an earlier or later time. I'd really like to give you an opportunity to be in at least one of the podcasts.

I also know that Nyan will be able to join in on this date as well.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about this weekend, nothing I can do about that. If you reread my post, you can see I actually liked the 17th better. Time to buy a mic then...

If I'm missing a killer party because of this, you owe me a beer :D. Or I could go for a drink, then come and join you guys, and THEN go to a party. Sounds good :)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I take it 7:00PM EST works for you (for the 17th?). Wonderful!
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try my bestest best to be there :)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. I've got a home-improvement project going on and I'll actually be home this weekend. All bets are off for next weekend, however.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. It's so hard coordinating a perfect day that can fit everyone, mostly because we're so spread out across timezones. Here's to hoping that you can make it to the next one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point in my life it's really just a matter of telling people to fuck off so you can have a little free time. The only problem is that I have elevated that particular process to an art form, and on the way there have executed it so many times I had to eventually give in and spend time with people. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of that time :(

I yearn for the days when I could spend the better portion of a weekend programming.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reminder: episode 2 of this podcast is happening this Saturday (Nov 17th, 7:00PM).

Hopefully we'll be able to keep this episode to about 30 minutes (I'll try my best to keep it from going on and on). So far the topics we will cover are:

• Reasons for abandoning/giving up/etc on your last project (that you abandonded/gave up on, of course)
  • The last indie/hobbyist game you were tracking that ended up being abandonded. (Did you see it coming? Did you try not to believe it would happen?)
  • Optional, if we have time: what keeps you motivated to work on your projects
  • Current board news

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder that the podcast recording is happening tonight!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recording session is over. We had a whole bunch of guests: gil, PoV, Sirocco, mikedoty, Nyan, and myself. We covered the topics that were laid out a few posts back. I'll be editing tonight/tomorrow morning. Expect the next episode soon!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to participate.

Edited by sonrisu on Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:29 pm; edited 1 time
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo! Can't wait to hear it. Sucks I've been unable to connect to IRC since the last time you guys saw me in there. I've been wondering how it went. Glad to hear lots of people jumped in.
I'll mirror asap. Maybe during the week I can fuss with an RSS feed.

-Bean

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Editing is done for the most part. Look for a download link sometime tomorrow morning!
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I couldn't make it. On the plus side I just got myself a girlfriend :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's live! GDRCast 2007.11.17.mp3 ~ 7.12mb
This one is low quality. It should be good enough to listen to. If you have problems let me know and I can throw one up with slightly better fidelity.

[edit]
Adding mirror

Edited by sonrisu on Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:45 pm; edited 1 time
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninkazu wrote:
Sorry I couldn't make it. On the plus side I just got myself a girlfriend :)

Congratulations!
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that was sufficient quality for listening. I need a better mic so I can eliminate the popping that accompanied all my contributions :| I think it was a great idea to splice some of the outtakes into the end of the session, Gil typing and the "sweet" exchange... heh.
n29
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading and listening now...

Overall pretty good although I didn't get the nugget of motivation wisdom (ie motivational epiphany) I was hoping for from some of you..... :P

I was also thinking that bit higher quality audio would be nice, to better distinguish who's speaking and to get a feel for what they're saying.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Overall pretty good although I didn't get the nugget of motivation wisdom (ie motivational epiphany) I was hoping for from some of you..... :P

This is a very broad topic, and honestly it didn't go in quite the direction I was hoping. The recording took a bit of a different format because we were trying to consolidate its duration. DoG has actually suggested some good ideas on how to keep things more natural so that we can get good information without making people feel like they're crammed for time. Ultimately, this is one of those topics that I won't have any problem visiting again (even as a sole topic).
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.