GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> What are you currently playing? (Fall 07) Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: What are you currently playing? (Fall 07) Reply with quote

It's that time again to start up a new "What are you currently playing" thread!

I guess I can kickoff by saying I picked up RE4:Wii and am currently playing through that. With all of the hype and everyone telling me it's a must have game, I must say I'm a bit disappointed--although I'm only 2 hours in. There are a few really annoying things in the beginning of the game, especially when you don't know what you're supposed to do. One example is when you first hit the village and have to simply wait some predetermined amount of time before everyone goes into the church. This is kind of annoying and frustrating when you think you should be examining stuff and potentially "finding" something that will lead you to the next area -- only to eventually realize that you just have to run around avoiding baddies until the time runs up, and then you're free to do whatever. It's a minor annoyance, but it's still there. I'm really hoping that after the initial slump of "running around in circles" too much it will get a lot better.

I really do like the controls -- they are nice. I think I enjoy not having to use the aim in order to move the view up/down/left/right. That portion is left to the analog stick while you're holding out the gun. One thing I wish was there, though, is strafing. It's a pain in the ass to have to run far away, and turn around when a simple strafe would do. :)

Edited by sonrisu on Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:05 pm; edited 1 time
PoV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been playing anything new, but I found this game concept from "B-Game" compo pretty cool. Platformer text adventure! :)

Download - Thread
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just finished RE4. Just for fun... eh... fun...

Accuracy: 79%
Zombies Killed: 918
Timed Died: 75 (!)
Time: ~24 hours

It was pretty cool but frustrating as well at times. I definitely agree with the first village "must just survive for X amount of time" thing sonrisu mentioned. I died several times because I only had the handgun and would run out of ammo. (I didn't find the shotgun until the church bell rang, ultimately.) A couple of the boss battles annoyed me because I couldn't figure out what to do. :P I don't think I'll play through it again, but it was pretty fun for the most part.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Under Defeat laying around for months. It made a little bit of news when it came out as being the last licensed DC game to be released. But I couldn't find my DC video cables and long forgot about it.
The other day we were kinda bored after being without internet for a couple days (I'm currently living with some friends), my room mate busts out a DC and we both break out what's left of our game collections.
So we fired up Under Defeat for the first time and it's a pretty solid game. It's a vertical scrolling shooter where you fly a helicopter (and it supports 2 players). The niffty thing about it is you can rotate your copter about 40 degrees left or right. So unlike most shooters, your not stuck shooting straight up. You can angle a bit and move in any direction.
I've only played a couple levels (we had a lot of games with mess with) but i wanted to mention this one since most people probably never heard of it and i know there's some other shmup fans here.

-Bean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That shmup sounds cool (with the rotating fire). Funny thing, the DC, is that there are still people developing homebrew and/or pseudo commercial stuff for it, no? I remember hearing some news not so long ago that yet another shmup was being released for the system (which, I think at this point SEGA has officially stopped servicing).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Defeat is pure awesome, and very good eye candy as well. I played it 2-player last week with a friend. I like how it's difficult without resorting to cheap bullet hell action. Along with Trigger Heart Exelica and Ikaruga it's at the top of my DC shooter list. Just make sure you stay away from Last Hope, which was released this year. It's terrible :(
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww. I want to play some sweet shmups now! I did, however, recently get the Metal Slug Anthologies, so I'll be shooting things for a while... just not in the ... "up" fashion. :)
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing Brain Age 2 and Pokémon Diamond, both on the DS.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get to Dialga, don't forget to catch it (there's only ever one). You'll know what I mean when you get to it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching my wife play MySims, and it's kinda... boring? The characters are uber-cute and interiors are handled well, but it seems like all you do is build furniture and houses for people. Social interaction is severely downplayed to the point of nonexistence. Building stuff seems easy and logical, but I don't see the point without any ability to enjoy what you're creating (as in the town). Oh, and load times are baaaaaad.

Jack Dark and I played Justice League Heroes over the weekend and it was pretty swell, if a bit repetitive. It's nearly identical to Marvel Ultimate Alliance but much better both visually and in terms of design. We also played Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter for Xbox (not 360). I suggest you avoid it.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw! It's disappointing to hear that MySims is weaksauce. I almost picked it up, too. I thought it'd be more like the original Sims game, but apparently the console versions aren't at all. Too bad.

On another note: I picked up Drawn to Life for the DS. It's pretty neat, and the drawing caters to a lot of different skillsets. The best option is the ability to throw on a grid and draw pixel-by-pixel. Unfortunately, because it seems to be mapped to a quad and rotated all over the place, you lose a lot of the precision you might put into your creations. Contrary to my initial assumption, you don't only draw your player -- you also draw stuff like weapons that you eventually wield, as well as objects in the maps like platforms, etc. There are also other little things like choosing colors for certain items that appear in the world.

Overall, the drawing is pretty fun, but it can get annoying when you have to draw too much stuff in a row. After drawing the second or third platform, you don't feel like taking as much time to draw stuff because you simply want to actually play on the levels. That said, the actual platforming is quite basic and is stuff you'd find in any generic style platformer: run around, jump on stuff, collect coins, yahoo! I have yet to find a "boss" as I've only played for an hour or so.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my sister is playing Wii sports so it's official; the Wii is a new paradigm in gameplay.
nodtveidt
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
When you get to Dialga, don't forget to catch it (there's only ever one). You'll know what I mean when you get to it.

Yeah, caught it. Had a tough battle with Cyrus prior to that though, so my poor guys weren't gonna stand up to many Roar Of Time attacks. So I just used the Master Ball to end it. Probably shouldn't have, since I probably won't be able to catch Cresselia now, but oh well. Managed to snag two of the three "released" legendary pokémon though...haven't caught up with the evasive one yet. I ended up winning the championship with a level 63 Torterra (Crunch/Earthquake/Giga Drain/Return) as well as Dialga (Metal Claw/AncientPower/Dragon Claw/Roar Of Time) at level 51...and nothing else. The nice part is that I managed to play through to the championship with very little help from guides...just needed a few hints here and there, especially in regards to snagging a couple of the HMs and getting the fifth gym badge (that was a weird one).

I'll probably end up playing it through again eventually though, spending more time making much stronger critters before going after Dialga.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you played through very quickly. I'm currently on my way to the league. I missed out on Dialga (killed him in about 3 attacks), and I haven't bothered looking for those three other lake Pokemon. This game makes me aggravated at times, simply because some of the stuff is completely un-obvious (like how certain types of Pokemon evolve). I have been playing since June and I feel like I still have a long way to go. Ugh!
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the game anew and decided to play as a female this time. So far, I've acquired four gym badges. However, my wife and I did the ultimate Pokénerd thing today...Toys R Us was having a special thing where you could take your DS in and download a Mystery Gift, this one being a Manaphy, one of the three legendary Pokémon, and of course, the hardest one to catch. Well, they were just giving it away, but only for three hours. We both picked it up, since I have Diamond and she has Pearl. We also helped out a few of the people who were there, since the signs were in English and none of the kids there pay attention in English class. :)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you caught every single Pokemon that is catchable? I cringe at the thought of doing so by myself... :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo 3 is alright. I'm about 4 hours in, just entered the portal. It's very well done, but meh. I suspect I'll be more impressed by BioShock though, when I get around to that. Heck, I still need to finish Half Life 2 for that matter. Man, I hope Alan Wake is good. :)

Also been playing .hack again. Last time I played, I got to the rather difficult boss at the end of volume 1, and sort of never came back to it. Now I'm about 10 hours in to Volume 2. I have Volume 3 ready, but I'm going to have to get my hands on Volume 4 soon.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that someone else thinks Halo is "eh." While I haven't played 2 or 3, I'm assuming they're a lot like the first one with minor improvements in gameplay and more work done in the world of visuals. I could never really understand why Halo is such a huge success when there are a many better FPS' out there for the PC. Then again, I guess it makes sense for those people who only have console systems and can't game on the PC.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, Half Life 2 was so boring. Every time I was introduced to a new vehicle I just knew I'd be running around in it for 2-3 hours stopping every 1/4 mile to open another damn gate. I finally gave up after I cleared the huge-ass bridge. I just couldn't take any more. And don't get me started on all the lame-ass teeter-totter "physics puzzles" (I use that term loosely) that people seem to have creamed their jeans over. Valve and Id are great at making engines but they just plain suck at making content. At least the gun play was decent.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the boat-riding part was kind of annoying and slightly much too long. I didn't mind the car-riding part with the tunnels too much. I thought it was slightly fun. I hoped that some of the blocked tunnels would feature the classic zombie scene... :)

I was left with a much better impression after playing HL1 than playing HL2 when it comes down to it. I have yet to play Episode 1 and Ep. 2 is just around the bend.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read EP2/Orange box went gold the other day, so hooray for them.

But back to Halo, I actually really liked the series, up until the end of Halo 2. The ending hit me abruptly like a stealth kick in the nards. I felt cheated out of what should have been an epic battle or clever plot. I loved how they built up the whole arbiter storyline. Then, dun dun dun dun, what felt like the commercial for #3.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is it with trilogies anyway? Are two not enough? And who said four would be too many? Oi.

To be honest, I was so bored with Halo 1 that I couldn't even get through the entire game.
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halo1 was pretty fun to me. Especially played co-op. 2 was great for about 3 weeks then it went to hell. Haven't played 3 and can't say I'm stoked to do so.
HL2 on the other hand, I loved.

-Bean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find ironic about my complete apathy toward Halo is that I have incredibly fond memories of Marathon (which is a million times worse). Oh, Bungie.

That makes me think of the game ABUSE. They were out around the same time, I think. Man, that game was great (at the time, at least). Maybe I should go find it. :)
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually a DirectX version of Abuse out which is freely available.

Wikipedia has links to other ports as well.

-Bean

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.