GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Introductions Page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandrake
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Introductions Reply with quote

Here's where you can introduce yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My real name is Kevin Reems. Many people know me as Bean. I've been developing indie games since the TRS-80 was new. As such I started with BASIC, then GW and QB. I then took the plunge into C/C++, DirectX (DirectDraw, Direct3D, DirectPlay, DirectSound, DirectInput). I also use MFC/AFX.
I also do graphics (2D and 3D), and sound effects.
On the web side of things I use HTML, DHTML, Javascript and PHP.
I don't claim to be an expert in any one area.

Projects I've done (dating back to 1996):

RoadHog2

Stick Fighters Brawl

Duke Control System

Slash (2.5D Game Engine)

SFB2: Vector Warriors

Slash Development Kit (SDK)

Kevin's Printer Program

BltTest

My Fuckin Calendar

MouseTrap

Silent Chaos a.k.a. "SCH" (Incomplete)

Item Spot Plot (SCH Tool)

Character Compiler (SCH Tool)

World Map Viewer (SCH Tool)

Preferences (SCH App)

Setup for Silent Chaos (SCH App)

BugServer (SCH Server App)

MemStatus

Wicked Steel

Wicked Steel: PC

Setup for Wicked Steel: PC (WS01PC App)

TinyTimer

Currently developing, M----- tell ya later.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you can call me Mandrake, cause it sounds cool. For those who insist on *real names*, I'm also known as Paul Jessup. I too, started work on the old Tandy TRS-80. My Uncle actually worked for Tandy programming that very machine...he had done a few games, helped out on the OS and some painting programs.

Ahem. Anyway, I've done an assload of stuff as well. I mostly do C++ work, lately doing all of my work on the GameBoy Advance. I've been working on a game called the Changeling back since the first GDR. Some day, I might actually finish it. I've worked on little odds and ends inbetween, but so far nothing finished.

On the writing front, I've been published in a few magazines, mostly horror short stories and a few experimental fiction things. One is in an online mag, so you can read my short story here for free.

Edited by mandrake on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:45 am; edited 3 times
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Who is me? Me, of course! Reply with quote

Hi there!

My name's Kenny Thornton, and my handle is Sirocco. I'm an industrial automation programmer who's into cats, pixels, and naughty tentacles. I have boatloads of weird programming experience from driver design to image recognition software, and occasionally working with obscure hardware like Koala Pads and light pens. Oh, and I also make games in my spare time.

I'm mostly known for my work on Fenix Blade, Frenetic, Frenetic Plus, and Fenix Blade: Cry Havoc.

I've also done plenty of work on scrollies, cracktros, trainers, and game editors from back in a day when the almighty BBS ruled the world.
JodyAnthony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name is retro, or Jody, used to try to program and did pretty poorly at it. Trying to work my way back into hobby programming stuff, my goal is to do a Bust-a-move type game for GBA, but who knows if that will ever get off the ground.

Besides that, I spend my time on writing a webcomic (which is not currently on the web, heh) and trying to be a punk rock superstar.

Edit: Writing a webcomic which IS currently on the web

www.jodyanthony.com

Edited by JodyAnthony on Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:07 pm; edited 1 time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarkDread

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm DarkDread, or Matt if you want.

I have nothing much to say about myself... except that I spend my spare time composing low frequency sounds. Oh yeah, and I'm coding a bit again... why though, I really don't know.
sam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is golrien here, I haven't really used that name for years heh. I am a very good programmer but whenever I try to code anything I just end up getting really angry.

My finished projects include: a few qbasic libraries, some speedIF games (text adventures written within a two hour time frame), a couple of tutorials and a slew of useless game engines on various platforms. My ongoing project is to a) somehow make PC programming less of a nightmare or b) develop a love of working around poor implementations and dumb limitations.

As well as game progamming I play, compose and listen to a lot of music (here is my last.fm page). Instruments I purport to play include: guitar, trombone, euphonium, piano and bass.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I am JonA.

I'm not even a game developer any more; I work in web development now. I'll probably just hang around making sardonic comments.

But really, I'm Python, PyGame, Numeric etc. I never finish anything, either.

--Jon
mandrake
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bah. Why only one or the other? I work in web development as well, but I don't wimp out. You want to be one of us.

ONEOFUSONEOFUSONEOFUSONEOFUSONEOFUSONEOFUSONEOFUS

edit:
You still got that unofficial GDR FAQ you wrote up?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahahhahaha. NO.

Well, you might be able to find a copy if you get lucky via archive.org, or I might be able to find a copy on one of my backup CDs.

If I remember, I'll have a look tonight.

--Jon
XMark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm XMark. I made The ARC Legacy way back when in the good ol' QBasic RPG days, as well as its incomplete sequel The ARC Network.

A remake of that game is currently on indefinite hold, but I'm sure I'll finish it someday.

Lately I've been doing music more than programming, though I'm trying to get back in the coding groove.
LeoDraco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Joshua, and I am an alcho... wait, wrong forum, heh.

So, I have been known by the moniker "LeoDraco" for several years now; I must say, I'm quite glad to see the old band getting back together. I remember this place when it was an old tree-based sysem with that Elf chick. (I think Tsugumo drew her? Something like that...)

In any case, yet another place to waste my time online! Hurray!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to edit this post after 5 years, since so much has changed. Original is quoted below.

I'm Mike. I used to go by "DrAGON MaX", and eventually "PoVRAZOR". I shortened it to PoV 7-8 years ago. Most PoV comments found on the internet are me.

I currently own and operate an independent game development "studio" called Sykhronics Entertainment. It's just a large room in the basement, but it's got everything you need to make a commercial quality game in it, and then some. ;)

While still in college, I landed a game industry job at the end of 1999, and worked on a whole bunch of games for various consoles over the years. The majority were handheld games (Gameboy, Gameboy Advance), specifically kids games (2 of them Barbie games... yeah ugh), but I got to work on PlayStation too (though it was one of the Barbie games). So my actual game industry experience is kinda humorous. I left around Mid 2005, and started down the bumpy road of being self employed AND making games, pitching an XBLA title among other things.

As of this writing, I can claim my studio "successful" and "award winning". I created an iPhone game called Smiles, and though it wasn't a smash hit there, it's been doing amazing things outside the iPhone market. Heck, I won a car and a Trip to GDC with it earlier this year. It runs on numerous mobile and PC platforms, and is coming soon to a certain console.

I'm working on a new game now, something more RPG like, the kind of thing I wish I could have created some 10-15 years ago (a nod to those old-timers that find us from our RPG forum days). Retro yet modern. Something I'm very excited about.

Old computer of choice: Commodore 64. Though fascinated by consoles, I never owned one until I started making games for a living, with the exception of an original Gameboy. Fun fact: I came 2nd place in a school wide SMB3 tournament in grade school, though I didn't own a NES. Now I own all the good ones.

I also run Ludum Dare, which is a pretty well known game prototyping event.

So yeah, hey.

Quote:
Hey!

I'm Mike. I used to go by "DrAGON MaX" a long time ago, and "PoVRAZOR" some time later on a number of forums and communities. I've shortened it to PoV, just to be a jerk.

I do stuff. Interesting stuff. I've been making games as far back as I can remember. I've more recently been a coder in the mainstream game industry for almost 6 years now. I'm doing things a little different now.

I'm a regular contributer to GameTunnel's indie gaming monthly round up. I'm also big in to game physics, but have been spending time recently improving my neglected skills. Art and Audio. So that's likely what I'll be big in to chatting about. Bring on the fun.

Oh, and I also captured Tsugumo and forced him in to pixelated slave labour.
You think I'm kidding?

Edited by PoV on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:48 am; edited 9 times
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your still "DM" as far as I'm concerned. Too much IRC back in the day got me brainwashed.

-Bean
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Doug Inman, and I do nothing productive with my time. I have an aversion to introductions, so i'll keep this short: i'm a uni student, a long time RPG and game fan, and I was a member of the last incarnation of this board under what I suspect was some godawful handle. Nice to see it back, I look forward to some more artistic compos.
spellcaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm Lennart Steinke, go normally by the nick of spellcaster - and you have absolutely no idea how happy I am that the GDR is back in action.

I'm coding mainly in C and Java, have written a book on game coding (only available in German) and the rivive of the GDR might be exactly the thing I needed to sit down and code a game again :)
Tomasu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ho!

I'm Thomas Fjellstrom, aka: Tomasu, "The Moose", etc.

I do C, C++, Perl, written a couple crappy Speedhack entries, and some miscelanious libs and programs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JPGrosse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I'm JPGrosse. I used to make more games than I do nowadays. Now I work with game research and mostly think about games and design.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Glad to be part of the GDR. When it was around before, I actually never registered. Anyways, I also go by Ultio over at the allegro.cc world. My real name is Jay. If you interested in any more than that, you can go check out my website and read up on my programming life. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm... I am a n00b and... *runs off and cries*
Madgarden
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all! I am Madgarden. You may remember me from the old GDR days as "Madgarden." I am better known as "the guy who perpetually works on SAKFU."

No, it's still not done. Shocked

I have various ongoing projects, and I've even finished one or two, including an "official" Sword of Fargoal remake that was made in collaboration with Elias Pschernig.

Nice to be back!
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i'm Hard Rock, your probably wont remember me, I posted a bit a long time ago, but it was back then when I actually programmed and now I do pretty much nothing. Interests included guitar, metal, and of course coding.(Though I've been doing a lot more playing games then any of the above right now, I hope that will change.
biggeruniverse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm generally useless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madgarden wrote:
Hello all! I am Madgarden. You may remember me from the old GDR days as "Madgarden." I am better known as "the guy who perpetually works on SAKFU."

Jesus, I remember playing a bit of that, once. From what I remember, it was really fun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi i'm Hard Rock, your probably wont remember me, I posted a bit a long time ago

But of course do I remember you :)
It's great to see you nice people back.

And regarding SAKFU - I really think it should be renamed to "TLoS" -> The Legend of SakFu :)
I've been pestering Madgarden since the days of the original GDR to finish this game :)

Quote:
Uhm... I am a n00b and... *runs off and cries*

Dan! Nice to see you here again. And since this is only the GDR and not Pixelation, you don't need to fear any nakkid pixels ;)

It does really feel great that the GDR is back in action.
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Introductions Page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.