GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - MUD
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Development Log - MUD Reply with quote

Okay, enough work has been done to open a log. Those of you who are on IRC know that I've been writing a client/server model in Java that will allow me to run a graphical MUD eventually. What I want to reach soon is something that looks like this screenshot:

http://www.cokeandcode.com/node/302

What I did so far is write a simple multithreaded socket-based server model to try out networking. I've got that working like a charm and even sending objects is perfectly fine. This allows me to stream game states to the user, so I could even run games on this server. I will however, start over again, because I'm switching to asynchronous (or non-blocking) IO: java.nio. I'm probably going to implement a pre-existing library. I have my eye set on Appache MINA (http://mina.apache.org/index.html). I'm going to re-implement my server into NIO over the next couple of days, then I'm slowly switching to client development. Here's a cool java.nio tutorial:

http://rox-xmlrpc.sourceforge.net/niotut/index.html

For the client I'll be using the neat Slick library (http://slick.cokeandcode.com/). It will just be a fancy chatbox, then it will turn into a room with players, chatting. Last step will be implementing interaction, such as fighting. One of the things I'll try is to encourage roleplaying over just fighting, by a simple alignment system and a deceit system.

The final milestone will be:

Server:
- Connecting and sending data
- Sending/receiving/reconstructing objects
- Handle interaction

Client:
- Simple tile-based graphics system
- Connection and talking to server
- Flexible control system
- Music support

Gameplay:
- Chatting
- Walking
- Fighting
- Questing
- Alignment & deceit

I can't give time estimates yet, because of my exams, but I'd like to finish the server model up to interaction in january (exam period), after that I'll pick up pace hopefully
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw yes! Finally a thread for this. Are you not going to post up your current work so far? When I saw the thread title I thought I was going to be able to test something out! :(
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note that Kev Glass (the ASD guy) had long, detail rich thread on javagaming.org about the networking part of the project. A search of those forums could be productive if you run into problems. That guy has made some really great games by the way.

http://www.cokeandcode.com/gameslist

I particularly liked Roll 4k and t4xi.
NyanNyanKoneko
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering when someone was going to make an MMORPG on GDR. :)
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very far away from an MMO. It's just a small-scale online dungeon crawler. It does have a neat client-server model that will have no user limit, but I'm not fooling anyone, I'll be glad if I can make something 2 people can enjoy simultaneously.

N29: I looked up the thread and although ASD uses a deterministic lockstep system, I managed to find some really neat information. I also acquired the source of ASD, so I'm pretty happy right now.

As for latest developments:

I designed a new server model using NIO. I used to have a thread for each socket, now I only have one thread tending to the sockets. This leaves me free to use threads for other more important stuff. I'd like to keep the number of threads on my server under 50, because otherwise I might be dealing with context switching lag.
I'll now be looking into the MINA library to see if it's helpful to my cause.
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.