GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - ASCII Game [Demo 2 out] Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[prime : ~/Desktop/demo2]:: python2.4 main.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 41, in ?
from utils import *
File "/Users/prime/Desktop/demo2/utils.py", line 1, in ?
from xtest import xtest
ImportError: Inappropriate file type for dynamic loading

Wait. That might be my bad. Let me re-upload the thing with a quick fix, and I'll edit this message when it's ready.

Edit - Okay, I overwrote demo2.tar.gz. This one should hopefully work. I took out some old imported C stuff that I experimented with a while back.
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot sickens...
Console wrote:
[prime : ~/Desktop/demo2]:: python main.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 41, in <module>
from utils import *
File "/Users/prime/Desktop/demo2/utils.py", line 1, in <module>
from xtest import xtest
ImportError: dlopen(/Users/prime/Desktop/demo2/xtest.so, 2): no suitable image found. Did find:
/Users/prime/Desktop/demo2/xtest.so: unknown file type, first eight bytes: 0x7F 0x45 0x4C 0x46 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I gave this a shot. First, problems.

1) When I went to look at the profiles, the number of guests was large enough that it flowed on top of the button to add or remove a guest. It was weird.
2) When I created a new profile, all the names disappeared and it was just a black box (again, so big it covered other UI)
3) Pressing escape while the profiles dialog is up starts the game (prevent game start while in the main menu and UI elements are open)
4) Prompts are for keyboard, I was on joystick, any way to make it display the joystick controls instead?
5) I got the monkey stuck in climbing mode even though I wasn't climbing anything. It was the vines part with all the bees. Maybe it was because I was hit by the bee while climbing?
6) I skipped all of the icy level by walking across the top of everything (it's easy to jump up there). Is this intentional?
7) I can trigger switches multiple times, but it does nothing. Have to wait for the panning, though
8) Health comes back on every level. Intentional?
9) Climbing things is very hard with the joystick. Jumping off them is difficult too. I found that I would slide up the vines very slowly if I held down the jump and up on the joystick. I had to stop moving, press jump, then use the analog in order to jump off of things. Also, when jumping off and trying to move left/right, even a slight tilt up or down would immediately grab me back onto the vine. The analog directional controls need to be a bit more forgiving in that regard.
10) I couldn't configure my joystick to use the hat for directions. Everything came up as Hat 0. I wanted to use the dpad!

The game ran smooth at about 50 FPS without lots of stuff on the screen, 20 FPS when things were getting hairy. Mind you, I was in my VM, so I'm sure performance on native is a lot better.

Okay, so now that all that stuff is out of the way. This is very promising. I like all the additions including the weather effects and ability to carry things. I thought it was funny that bad apples were made of the ASCII text "bad apple". I loved how I could jump on the back of bees and get a free ride. Nice monkey screaming sound.

The axes were a bit hard to dodge and looked like they followed a curve more than a straight line. Am I just imagining things here?

I found it kind of difficult to land on moving things. It's easy to "ramp" up on the ascii pixels, and then moving backward would throw me off. I think it's a matter of getting used to the float-like controls, but it all worked out in the end.

I like the difficulty and platforming, but not so much the abundance of death pits with things you need to travel on in order to cross. The impression that I get is that objects in the game world are big and it requires lots of panning to see what's going on. I don't know if this is a good thing, or a bad thing.

Lastly, while running I felt that I was still moving very slowly. Is the pace of the game really going to be this slow in general?
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
1) When I went to look at the profiles, the number of guests was large enough that it flowed on top of the button to add or remove a guest. It was weird.
2) When I created a new profile, all the names disappeared and it was just a black box (again, so big it covered other UI)

Can you PM me a screenshot of this? I know by default the drop-down appears, but I thought I only included 2 dummy profiles.

Quote:
3) Pressing escape while the profiles dialog is up starts the game (prevent game start while in the main menu and UI elements are open)

Beta :P

Quote:
4) Prompts are for keyboard, I was on joystick, any way to make it display the joystick controls instead?

Probably. I thought, though, that the joystick users would go into the customize controls dialog and set things up before they started. Thus, I geared the "how to" signs toward players who jumped right in with the keyboard only.

Quote:
5) I got the monkey stuck in climbing mode even though I wasn't climbing anything. It was the vines part with all the bees. Maybe it was because I was hit by the bee while climbing?

Yeah, he stays in climbing mode if you don't actually jump off. Just a little bug.

Quote:
6) I skipped all of the icy level by walking across the top of everything (it's easy to jump up there). Is this intentional?

In a couple of places I find it a good strategy; in a couple of places, I'd deem it cowardly but completely within the player's privilege. :P

Quote:
7) I can trigger switches multiple times, but it does nothing. Have to wait for the panning, though

Well, that's what you get. :P I'll probably end up adding a little flag in the script.

Quote:
8) Health comes back on every level. Intentional?

Intentional, yes.

Quote:
9) Climbing things is very hard with the joystick. Jumping off them is difficult too. I found that I would slide up the vines very slowly if I held down the jump and up on the joystick. I had to stop moving, press jump, then use the analog in order to jump off of things. Also, when jumping off and trying to move left/right, even a slight tilt up or down would immediately grab me back onto the vine. The analog directional controls need to be a bit more forgiving in that regard.

Hm. I'll have to think about this one. I've found vine-jumping pretty smooth using gamepads and the keyboard. Because UP does nothing other than climb vines, I could possibly just increase the threshold on that axis.

Quote:
10) I couldn't configure my joystick to use the hat for directions. Everything came up as Hat 0. I wanted to use the dpad!

Hm, that might result from bad hat-checking code on my part. I'll look into it. Different operating systems, by the way, can see d-pads as different types of devices. Isn't that fun? :P

Quote:
The axes were a bit hard to dodge and looked like they followed a curve more than a straight line. Am I just imagining things here?

Yes. =)

Quote:
I like the difficulty and platforming, but not so much the abundance of death pits with things you need to travel on in order to cross.

I love my duck and I'm going to use him so much. :P

Quote:
Lastly, while running I felt that I was still moving very slowly. Is the pace of the game really going to be this slow in general?

I think this is a fair approximation of the type of gameplay I'll aim for. Obviously I could make adjustments here and there down the road.

Thanks for trying it. Glad it works for someone... :P
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broken profiles:
1 2
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something occurred to me. Is python trying to load binary (non-python) modules where I'm getting my error? Because the "new" version still had the same kinda issue. If you built them on linux, of course it would fail on my mac. Mayb you could include the build script (or tell me what it's called) if that's the case.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it's all straight source from my end. You could try deleting all *.pyc files and then running it again to make sure it's clean. Make sure you have the newest version that doesn't have any "from xtest import" statements in it. If utils.py has that in it, or object.py, just delete them. I believe only those 2 files had them.
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crapmonkies. That worked. Works just fine now. Yeah, it was still trying to load compiled C modules I guess.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you got it to run, Mr. Earthian. Sorry for the problems; I should have just taken that stuff out when I stopped using it.

On the "help sign showing only keyboard help" front, I just had an "oh duh" moment.

When I print a message (e.g. Press RETURN to read this sign), the actual script says Press $action to read this sign. This of course allows me to keep signs up-to-date regardless of control customizations. If I just use 2 separate if tests for keyboard and joystick, I'll know which of the two the user pressed and I can substitute $action with one or the other specifically.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say I finally got around to playing the second demo... and it's cool as hell! I downloaded it when it was first upped, but totally forgot about it (I was a little under the weather at the time, among other things) until just a few days ago.

I was quite impressed with how smooth the movement and animations were, given the ASCII rendering. I was having some fun tossing blocks around and jumping to my death :)
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. I knew there had to be something wrong with the game... it runs on Sirocco's computer...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for trying it out. ;)
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - ASCII Game [Demo 2 out] Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.