GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - ASCII Game [Demo 2 out] Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also your conveyor belts both point and animate to the right, even if they push you to the left. A bit odd looking, but I'm sure that's just becaus eI'm playing with a demo ;)
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, ha ha, I think I recall that. They animated right properly for most of the time I was working on it, but I changed something up at some point and forgot to fix that. It makes the stupid tower level ... well, stupid. :P

I apologize for the gamepad issue; I probably shipped the demo out a few hours sooner than I should have. I had the same issue in XP myself. Interestingly, linux sees the D-pad as a set of axes, whereas windows must see it as a top hat. That will make the controls section lots of fun to program to be sure! :P For the existing problem, I think adding a dead zone at the "center" should take care of the problem. For me, if I held the joystick just off-center... then it considered that as the center and the monkey stopped moving. I'll make that a priority, no doubt.

Thanks for trying it out. =)
xearthianx
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when we gonna see a new build? I would be stoked to be able to play it with my gamepad :)
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to get a new version out later in the month. I want to take some time and work on some other things and add to the game first.

On the topic of new things, here's a video that shows off a couple cool new things: picking up objects and newly added vertical scrolling.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very, very cool. I like how dynamic the levels look like they can be. Because you're not tied down to tiles, it looks very "organic" for lack of a better term. The throwing of boxes are very cool; looks like it's pretty natural looking, but I'd have to give it a shot to see how the control feels.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The object-based approach does seem to give me more flexibility in level design. :)

I've been working on some of the less exciting stuff recently. I added menu finally, and I've also been working on some other user interface items.

I first added a control customization section. You can change it all. Well, it doesn't let you use escape for anything. :P I had to account for the possibility of some joystick users wanting to use buttons for some actions and other users wanting to use axes for the same actions. I got that all sorted, though. It also saves controls on a per-joystick basis, so if two players have two joysticks, they don't have to reset the controls every time they switch. But then again... what if two players share the same joystick (or have the same joystick, whatever)?

Because of that (and for future reasons) I also added a Profile system. It took me a little while to get the dialog finished for creating and managing profiles, but I'm now very happy with how it has turned out. It does all of the error-checking and such. When you save controls, it saves to the profile you have selected. This solves the aforementioned same joystick issue. I will also eventually use it for save games.

Now to get back to doing cool stuff! :P
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to spend a couple of days fixing my GUI so that the submenu system would properly work with more than one level of submenu. I was using a poor approach to the problem at first, and then I had to tie up loose ends regarding the better approach.

I have had a chance to add some more cool new stuff, though. Here's a five minute video of some editing along with some new features.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4drsj_asciigameplay8_videogames
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasp! Believe it or not I've been working on this some more lately.

I have been putting together a little object editor to help me create more objects for the game as I progress. I've created all of the current objects in gedit text editor. However, the perspective doesn't quite translate properly; objects appear slightly different between the 9x10 in-game view and (not)9x10 gedit font. Now I can create objects that will appear completely the same during editing.

I took a couple minutes of video to demonstrate the object editor. [url= it here[/url].

Oh, I also have a screenshot of the new object packing method I hacked together. I think it works better than choosing by name from a popup submenu, if nothing else. =) http://www.psyguygames.com/image/62/
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Megaman sucks...
really bad

Classic. You keep the inside jokes running long, huh? The editor is pretty cool, but having to select the color from HEX is a bit of a pain in the ass. Why not make a color picker?
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might add a color picker at some point, but there won't be an orgy of color changes going on, so I think for now I will just stay with what I have. It'll still be easier than doing them in the text editor. :P
sonrisu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autolayout tool for object selection is nice, too. Currently my object selection is visual, but I manually place each object where I want it to be in code, instead of doing auto-packing. I may have to look into packaging -- but I wouldn't like the fact that the object layout could potentially change each time I add a new selectable object to the list of objects.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a screenshot of the new "Lava World" I have been spending a little bit of time on. The lava animates pretty nicely during the game.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sex. I want to have it with that screenshot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally awesome looking. Can't wait to see more of the game in action. I take it that you will be able to climb the chains, right? :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, bitch. More ASCII game, less everything else!
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I was all stoked about this game and this is faded away some place. Glad to see it 's back!

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't actually have plans to do chain-climbing, but I decided (against my better judgment) that I couldn't pass up the idea. :P I spent just a little time starting to work on that. You can get on the chains now and climb around, but it's pretty loose control-wise at the moment. It works in concept, though, let's say. :)

Oh, great. Now I'm going to have to add two more lines to the custom controls dialog (up and down) and I'm completely out of room vertically! Separate sections for movements and actions, here we come!!!
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm now super-happy with how the climbing system works. You have to be within a fairly close range (but comfortably close range) of the chain; then, it automatically snaps you to the center of the chain and you can no longer move horizontally. (This makes sure you don't accidentally walk off.) Then you can go up and down the chain, jump to the side, or just slide off the end of the chain.

Enough blabbing. [url= time![/url]
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now ya need some monsters or whatever. Looks jolly :D

Any chance there could be an option for a white background? I'm not sure if it'd be better really, I wouldn't mind seeing how it looked though.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a lighter background once, but it really becomes very hard to see the character and some objects with most anything but black, it seems. I'll double-check on it, though.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doty Lives!
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you got around to animating that spider. Nice! Hopefully this brings a revival to your motivation for this game and you'll kick it into high gear :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES. More.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, obviously I've been getting back into working on this game for a couple of days now.

I've been adding a decent number of new objects to the "Forest World" theme. The objects are making for a fair visual upgrade. I've also been working on adding new enemies and such things. I haven't made the same progress there, but eventually hopefully I will. =)

I also am planning to work a little more on the scripting system in the coming days. I have a couple of things in mind. I need to wire up some more script -> object communication events. For instance, I might want to have a row of bouncing balls where they bounce like a sine wave instead of bouncing synchronizedly. In this case, on the loading of the level I'd send every other bouncing ball a message asking it to delay beginning its behavior by some interval.

Addedly I'd like to add a camera pan-blocking option. For example, say I want a level that descends through a pit to some flatland and then moves to the right for a little while. Until the player reaches the ground, I don't want horizontal scrolling. I mean to code in a procedure for marking the unused area of the level as "non-visible" to the camera. That shouldn't pose too hard of a challenge.

Well, that's enough "excitement" for one post. =)
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - ASCII Game [Demo 2 out] Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.