GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - FB: Cry Havoc Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take care of numerous things over the weekend, so no coding. About a year ago I started writing a bit of code to let me rapidly create (and more importantly, preview) GUI windows and output the parameters to a file. The only problem is I never finished working on it. Even with a simple GUI it can be a chore to lay out a full-screen menu or status page. I'm seriously considering finishing it up this week; it'd save me a bunch of time later this year when I get around to serious content creation.

I'm not really big on creating tools, but I can see this being beneficial for many years to come, as I plan of keeping this particular GUI in use for all future projects.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love building tools. The only real problem with building tools is that they can become out of date easily. If you don't maintain them, then they become worthless. I think that putting the time into keeping them fresh definitely pays off, in the end. Of course, there's something to be said for simplicity where you don't need a bunch of proprietary tools to get stuff done.

Then again, once you write it, it should be good for future projects if you designed it correctly...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... so much stuff happening; too bad none of it is with any of my games! :(

Any way, over the last two weeks I closed up several home projects that have been bothering me for a while (including a few Wii/PC games), so I'm back to work on my stuff. I spent yesterday reinventing a particular wheel for what I hope is the last time. Like much of what's been happening with FB:CH, I've been taking extra time to design the code carefully so things are flexible and reusable when practical.

In my previous projects, I usually had only two fonts to worry about. I'd keep a small font for the console and miscellaneous crap that was of little import, and a standard font for everything else. Here with FB:CH I'm sitting close to seven different fonts with various color permutations and options, and it's getting a little stupid not to have some sort of clean, unified code to handle them all. When I need to add a font or support more colors I have to hack a bunch of stuff and it's just plain *retarded*. So, boring as it is... sigh... I'm rewriting my font display stuff and doing it right this time.

After that, something infinitely more interesting, I would imagine. I just don't know what yet. Fortunately I have this huge to do list I can pull from... heh.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have much to report. I'm just working on some of my file I/O stuff (debugging old code), and finishing up the font stuff I started on earlier. I had to spend much of this weekend patching a roof leak :(

Evil.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hate doing late-development changes, but I've got to fix something that has been bothering me for a long time. Right now the game masks sprites by using a crude method of ray casting. This works and is efficient in terms of memory usage, but it's a little buggy and not very fast. I'm getting more into particles and emitters for things like smoke, fire, and other doodads, and getting a bunch of that shit correctly merged with the landscape is eating my lunch in terms of speed. So I'm going to implement a depth buffer which should eliminate the sometimes-buggy masking routine and probably speed things up tremendously when drawing sprites. As a side benefit it should help even more with polygon masking because that has been just plain broken from day one. The downside is more memory usage but as we all have freaking gigs of RAM these days why sweat it?

I've had too much going on to work consistently; but I'm still on the ball. Sorta.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, glad to hear this project isn't dead.
And I agree on the memory. I too find myself restricting myself to minuscule amounts of resources only to later wonder why I'm still coding in 1995.
Unless you plan on porting to smaller hardware or something, might as well take advantage of what's there. Especially if it'll improve speed.

-Bean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And I agree on the memory. I too find myself restricting myself to minuscule amounts of resources only to later wonder why I'm still coding in 1995.

I have to admit all my years spent trying to get the maximum performance out of old platforms is gimping my code. I frequently catch myself about to pursue unnecessary and/or premature optimization, or writing three pages of fugly code just to save a few kilobytes on every datafile I write.

The other thing that eats me alive is the whole "I have to know how that works... or just plain write my own" syndrome. The upshot being I know how to do a whole bunch of totally crazy shit, but really... heh. But hey, if DOS development ever becomes vogue again I already have my own EMS/XMS memory manager written ^_^

On a relevant note... I warn you all now: owning a home is a hell of a lot of work. The first year or two is a freebie, then shit starts to break or otherwise need maintenance. Then you're fucked.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my kind of friends, make that two weeks to break stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son of a bitch.

That didn't work right at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool bug. :)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That usually reminds me of when I change my map formats and my converter is off by one tile, byte, or something else seemingly insignificant. The result, though, is something catastrophic where half the crap is missing, and the other half is a jumbled mess.

What were you doing that produced this?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was messing around with the map loader. Let's just say the format isn't exactly fault tolerant ;) I've got a directory full of weird screenshots from bugs and other stuff. Occasionally I post one just to demonstrate the crazy shit that accompanies game development. The really funny thing is loading a b0rked map and watching all the soldiers fall off as they have nothing appreciable to stand on... heh.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new to show, and it'll probably be that way for a little while as I continue to hack at the code. Right now I'm in the process of separating the game framework from the current code base. I'm still having delusions of adequacy, still pretending this framework will allow me to make future games without reinventing every wheel :) Actually it most likely will succeed in that respect. I've learned a few useful things over the years... heh.

I'm still playing around with the 'soft shader' nonsense and other fits of insanity; just biding my time until life settles down to the point where I can code again.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much, just playing around.
I_are_n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF? DarkDread's keyboard at work?
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need that keyboard!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's powers are real!!1
I_are_n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there any way we could start some sort of "Brotherhood of the Traveling Keyboard" to increase productivity? ...not that I've seen the referenced movie or anything.

Edited by I_are_n00b on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:39 pm; edited 1 time
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the first half hour, seemed like a fun movie, should watch it fully some time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So is there any way we could start some sort of "Brotherhood of the Traveling Keyboard" to increase production?

Don't see why not. I've got a spare "coding keyboard" I could circulate.
I_are_n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, some one actually needs to watch Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and tell us the rules and what not. Gil, I think you volunteered yourself.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll translate it into keyboard rules:

- You get the keyboard for a week
- You can't wash the keyboard
- You can't have anyone else use the keyboard

The third rule is actually "You can't have anyone else take the pants off", but yeah. Also, special effect of the pants was that you'd meet "the one" if wearing it. Does that mean we'll make "The bestest game ever"?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be interesting. Then we could take pics and document the keyboard's journey across the globe.
I_are_n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could document the games that the keyboard was involved in (maybe put it in the credits or something in those games also). Here's to making the bestest games ever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraternity of the Mobile Input Device?
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - FB: Cry Havoc Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.