GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Offtopic - Spring 2008 Page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Offtopic - Spring 2008 Reply with quote

Winter 2008 Off Topic

Winter 2007 Off Topic
Fall 2007 Off Topic
Summer 2007 Off Topic
Spring 2007 Off Topic

Winter 2006 Off Topic
Fall 2006 Off Topic
Summer 2006 Off Topic
Spring 2006 Off Topic

Winter 2005 Off Topic
Fall 2005 Off Topic

And to kick things off..

Women spends two years on her boyfriend's toilet

Only in America folks!

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo first post! Come one spring!!!!!
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been waiting for this. My brother linked me to that woman sitting on the toilet forever. That makes absolutely no sense.
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more sneak preview. These designs are less strong because of some lousy combinations, but it's an mmo, so I test all configurations
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Dobbs Game Challenge... for MONEY!
http://www.dobbschallenge.com/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Kinda* cool.

http://www.aqi.co.jp/product/ds10/
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty neat. I love how all sorts of wacky stuff is coming out for DS.
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone using the Wii LAN Adapter for a wired connection?
I'm wondering if there's a noticeable speed difference between that and the Wifi. I've no doubt that the actual speeds are faster, but do games like Brawl show any improvement?

-Bean
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play twitch sensitive games like counter-strike on wifi, and they worked fine for me (I would perform close to the same as I did on wired. The difference is probably because I played more on wired then on wireless). I highly doubt the lag introduced by using lan over wifi is going to make any noticeable difference, unless you have a really crappy router.
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd imagine if your latency in general was low, it'd be almost unnoticeable. The nature of wireless implies a level of lag no matter what, but only a few ms. It'd basically be the tipping point for a mediocre latency, if you border on playable and not.

I don't know if Brawl gives you latency times, but assuming it clocks close to 60fps, every 16.6 ms is where we get a frame behind. The game is probably architected so network actions are intentionally lagged 2 frames, so 1-33 ms would be about the same. Perhaps even 3 frames, making 1-50 fine. But if your lag sits on any of those tipping points, 16ms, 33ms, 50ms, 66ms, you might actually see a benefit going wired. Again, this is all assuming the game clocks at about 60fps.

But to be honest, I don't know how lagged wifi is. It shouldn't be much, since it's so short ranged. I use a wireless mouse that I can't even tell there's a lag (except maybe when I shake it), but it's not like it needs to create a data packet that says anything more than "I've moved".
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I see one cheap I'll grab it, but I'm not gonna go on a mission.

Oh a side note, here's a song, "Cartoons?rel=0" frameborder=0 webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen> I'd like to fuck".

-Bean

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VST fun! Part Two! ... (or is this part 3?)

I've been "rocking out" to some chiptunes as of late, and realized I lacked a really good FM Synthesis VST's. That's the sort of chip sound you hear from the Genesis and many Arcade games like Street Fighter 2 and Rygar. Well, one thing led to another, and here we are.

Also, I've been unhappy with the NES and SID sound VST's I've been using. Plus I have a few other holes I'd like to fill.

So here's my list of gems I've discovered whilst surfing the free sites.

FM Synthesis:
I still have the first keyboard my parents bought me, I even repaired it myself a few years back. It was this lovely cheap ass Yamaha FM Synth with a very basic way to tweak sounds (and 5 banks to save them). I used to always make the harshest yet still pitched sounds I could with it. Again, a real piece of junk, but I love the sound. Yet, despite my fascination with the FM synthesis sound, I didn't have a VST to make it yet.

SQ8L - FM Synth+ - Holy Sh*t! Deceptively simple VST, with an absolutely fantastic clean sound, and a huge preset library. It's an emulation/simulation VST instrument. I'm not familiar with the original synth (Ensoniq SQ80), but man am I impressed. Nearly every preset has some function on the MOD wheel, so if you have a midi controller you can smoothly tweak the abrasiveness of the sound. From standard resonance/cutoff harshness, harmonics, vibrato, to sounds with distinct digital rounding. This might be my new favorite VST instrument.

Purple - FM Synth - I tried a bunch more (Panzertank and some ugly ones), and this one was hands down the best of the bunch. It's a lot more flexible than the SQ8L, featuring a lot of presets, and for such a configurable synth has a clear interface. Plus it has this fantastic knob "Drive", that lets you harshen up the sound. This one covers my bases for that old "arcade" sound. :)

SID and SID like:
DrSid is junk (a sampler with exposed samples, yoink!). Unknown64, PETSCII doesn't make an attractive interface. Quantum64 just doesn't work how I want it to.

Basic64 - SID - This must be a new synth 'cause it's the first time I think I've seen it. The presets have maybe a few too many arpeggiators, but you can shut them down and get a clean Commodore 64 sound out of this. I only wish it had a portamento (sliding) mode for when you play legato (overlapping keypresses).

ymVST - Atari ST - Not actually a SID, but it has a SID button that makes it sound convincing enough to me. I actually used to have this VST, but lost it when I upgraded. To contrast Basic64, it has portamento, so I can happily use it for rising/dropping sounds. Presets only load individually, so that's a little annoying, but tolerable. It's unfortunately only a monosynth only, but I still think worth the time.

SE64 - SID - I should mention this one, 'cause it's not bad. I like how the arpeggiator works, and does portamento. Just it has an annoying popup message every time you use it, and a startup sound. You can probably spend $5 or something to make it disappear, but it's enough to have me continue looking.

NES:
Toad and Peach are samplers (meaning sounds change length with pitch). Triforce doesn't sound right. Really, what I want is DrPetter's xNES from Musagi as a VST. :). I probably could get it, if I ported it. ;)

NESVST Pack - NES - Not a pretty VST, but I have to give it credit for it's NES sound. NES Pulse has a built in Vibrato section for achieving that Megaman 'esc vibrato lead sound, and portamento. I've not toyed much with NES Noise or NES Tri, but NES Tri did make a sound louder than I'd prefer.

Magical 8-bit Plug - NES - Interfaceless, though the sound is good. If it had vibrato sliders I'd probably use it. Alas, it's a bare bones NES noise maker.

Bass Synth (303):
I also really didn't have a good basic 303 like synth. I tried Aggressor, which couldn't even load it's presets without crashing, not to mention a little ugly. Then I found a really good one.

TAL BassLine - 303'ish - Not a very complicated synth, but it met my needs of having reso/cutoff controls, and portamento. Plus it's Cross Platform (Mac VST too), so that's an added bonus. And it looks pretty slick. :)

Juno:
I didn't really set out to find a Juno VST, but after being impressed with TAL-BassLine, I decided to see what other cross platform goodies he offered. Besides some effects I've gone ahead and added, he had this:

TAL U-NO 60 - Juno - A clean simple interface like the SQ8L, but with a different sound. A good number of presets. It has a built in chorus effect that's a click of a button to add depth. Really, it's great because it's so simple. Cross Platform too.

Analog:
TAL Vintager - Analog - Really, the only reason I grabbed this is because it's another one of the TAL cross platform synths. Has a nice sound.

HAHAHA CS33 - Analog - Inspired by some Yamaha emulation synths the author wrote (not very good VST's). This one has some really nice sounds.

Synth1 - Analog - Old faithful. I've been using this one for years, and I still really love the sound. It's kinda nice to now have more synth VST's of this quality.

Other:
Super Spook Keys - Theremin - Do I really need to say any more than Theremin? It's a goofy instrument for making the cheesy vibrato sci-fi sound, with a nice 2 axis VST control. :D

Sounds of Nature - Physical Modeling - This is fancy collection of VST's that model various sounds from nature. Wind, Thunder and Rain. Synsect, one that emulates the sound of insects. Oscine Tract, for emulating the sounds of birds. A very fascinating collection. You need to sign up to KVR to download it.

Modular:
OK, one pay VST (though it used to be free).

KarmaFX - Modular - $98 - A good modular for a good price. Good sounds, highly configurable, also doubles as effect plugin, everything you'd want in a modular. The interface is inspired by Buzz, and really it's the same idea, just at an instrument construction level. It could be better, but it does a lot. When I have a little more money in the bank, I'll be picking up Native Instruments Komplete pack, that includes the modular synth Reaktor. I'm hoping that solves the few of the things I don't like about Karma FX, but Karma will keep me happy until then.

That's all for now.
n29
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been "rocking out" to some chiptunes as of late

So where's a good place to score some chiptunes?

Everone post your favorite chiptunes!
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://8bitcollective.com/

Check out "Swampy Boy - Rave on craggy island" and everything else, great site...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow, again, found myself on Virt's site, and got hooked again by some of the songs linked in his "Blip Festival" post. Some of his stuff is pure chip, others are hybrid chip and orchestration or guitar, and some isn't chip at all, but it's good stuff.

8 Bit Peoples we bring up every so often too, a sort of chip tune record label with MP3 downloads.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything by Loonie. Some of Virt's stuff is godly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fast USB stick + these = portable convenience.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Windows. If the apps are small enough, this would work for most everything (assuming they work with the standards set forth by Apple) you could find on a Mac. Of note: people used to walk into Mac stores and steal applications by plugging in their iPods and making copies of the apps. ;)

Still, that is uber cool -- especially when you use systems that rarely have the applications you really want to use.
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a portable pixel art program?

I keep wanting to create art on other PCs, but I lack the proper tools...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw The Gimp on that page, so that's an option... if you like Gimp's at least. :)
n29
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get 8GB thumb drives now ($30US on sale) and recent motherboards will boot from USB so just setup up an XP install on a thumbdrive and carry it around with you.....
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you The Gimp me! That's like using photoshop for pixel art, ewww...

And XP installs are pretty optimized towards hardware, so n29, that wouldn't really work. Prove me wrong though, I'd love it to be true :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil wrote:
And XP installs are pretty optimized towards hardware, so n29, that wouldn't really work. Prove me wrong though, I'd love it to be true :)

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

--Jon
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue is, every time you plug it into a different machine, XP is going to see a bunch of new hardware and start demanding drivers. Unlike a Live CD which would automate all this, it'd be a pain in the ass with XP.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, I think certain linux installs will do better if you are looking for something like that. It actually makes me want to write a custom lightweight OS on top of something like a Win98 boot disk, which is very robust.

I wonder what is needed. If I could get a Java VM running on top of a boot disk, a lot could be done. Any ideas?

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.