GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Diversion Page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PoV

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:

Win! :D
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added gun-mountable flashlights. Here you see our hero holding one in his hand as well as an Uzi that has one mounted. These can be toggled off/on independently at the press of a button.

M16 with mounted Light and Grenade Launcher.

These lights will be particularly useful in the game's Survival mode which starts off at night in a city full of zombies.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:35 pm; edited 1 time
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just silly, but I wanted to share it. Sniper scopes mounted on the Pistol and Uzi. No, these combos will not be in the game heh.

So there ya go.

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:34 pm; edited 1 time
BadMrBox
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've added gun-mountable flashlights. Here you see our hero holding one in his hand as well as an Uzi that has one mounted. These can be toggled off/on independently at the press of a button.
Allready more advanced than doom3 :).
The scopes looks awesome :D.
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pistols need scopes
Just like (the good) perfect dark.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be easy to add another, smaller scope for the smaller guns but they won't be of much use in a game like this. This isn't the type of game where all the weapons are perfectly balanced (although there are some advantages/disadvantages).
You'll generally want the biggest killing machine you can get your hand(s) on. Anything smaller is just filler till you get another bigass something heh

And on that note, there is now a Shotgun :)
...it told me it wants a laser pointer too.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a way to greatly improve the framerate with a hardly-noticeable degrade in graphic quality.

I made it so the glass shader is still used for distant objects (if your using medium or high Surface Detail Level). Now when you reduce the range for shaders it doesn't effect glass.

I've found that, other then glass, you really can't see the affects of most of my shaders beyond about 50 meters. Bump mapping looks really great when your close to something but from afar it's just a waste of GPU cycles.

Previously the default range was 100 meters. It's now 25 and there's a very noticable speed improvement.

-Bean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shader/detail optimization seems to be pretty important to 3D projects. Although it's 2D, I had to do something funky like that. Rendering the entire map takes a noticeable amount of time, so I ended up redrawing what was actually visible (plus a little extra on the sides) then over the course of the next second or two the rest of the map is redrawn in slices. The user doesn't notice anything funky because what they need on screen is already there :)
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to chime in and say there's been a lot of progress. I'm in the process of adding various weapons and toys and the engine-stuff that'll allow those to do what they do.

Some of this stuff I don't want to make totally public yet. Mainly because I want there to be some surprises left when the game's finally released.

Join us in IRC if you want in on stuff as it happens. We actually came up with a new gun last night which is now about half way done.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may recall I mentioned some new shader stuff in the Shaders thread. I'm now able to mask moving textures to create various effects.
That is now part of my Low, Medium and High quality sets of shaders.

As usual, when faced with adding features to the Version 2.0 shaders I was faced with the crippling restrictions.

Something in my shaders that have always bothered me is I've had Sun and Moon light hard coded in. There was separate code for both of these even though they're both directional lights. This had the advantage of allowing me to make the sun a little more spiffy then the moon (I could leave out spec highlights on moon light for example). But all in all it's kind of sloppy.

So I've made it all good and proper with loops so I can have a set number of directional lights. Dynamic (omni and spot) lights were this way from the beginning. So now things are much more clean. So in my shader files I can define the number of lights, the engine reads that value and when rendering, pumps out up to that many lights.

Funny thing is, I then reduced the number of directional lights to 1.
This was my original intent. But I figured, if I'm going to change around the directional lights, I'm going to do it right and make it expandable. In future games, if I want more directional lights, it's just a matter of changing the defined value.

The reason I set it to just one is because in Diversion you've got Sun or Moon light as the only directional lights. If the sun is up, it's light pretty much drowns out any light you'd see from the moon. So it's kind of pointless to have both active at the same time.

You may recall I was able to get more functionality in one of my shaders by making it select either sun or moon light instead of having both. Well that logic has now been moved to the engine instead of within the shader(s).

By reducing the number of lights I was also able to slightly improve some things. I've added fake spec highlights to some of the Medium shaders for example.

In the High detail (3.0) shaders I added a feature to bump mapped surfaces as well. When a directional light is not directly hitting a surface, I'm now adding a slight amount of ambient light to the surface from "above". This highlights the bumps slightly to make them stand out.
I quote "above" because the angle doesn't rotate if the object rotates. This light shines in relation to the bump map's "up".
Unless you were looking for it, this is not really noticeable and it's faster then calculating all the angles proper.

I did this because a lot of my surfaces actually don't have a texture map. Even when there is a texture map, these surfaces, when unlit look flat and boring compared to everything else. So this feature is basically eye candy. This can be seen on the right side wall in the shot. Not a big difference but when it's used everywhere the helps the whole scene out quite a bit.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along well it seems :)
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed a brake from the graphical stuff for a bit so I focused on something that's been on hold for months. Character animation.

I can't say I've really added anything but what's there has been cleaned up a lot. There were a couple bugs messing up the legs while running on rotated surfaces and odd things like that.

I messed with various speeds. Movement speeds vary depending on if you're walking, running, crouching, aiming etc.

Leg movement had been improved and will continue to be tweaked. It doesn't quite look natural yet but it's getting there. I can't think of another game that wasn't motion captured and had walking look perfect. So I'm not going to be too picky about it for now.

Crouching now causes the character's body to lean forward more. I'm planning to make the character auto-crouch when he's trying to pick something up off the ground that's otherwise out of reach.

Jumping is now done once per button press. Jump speed has been tweaked as well. This along with the various other speed tweaks make the game feel more natural.
I was running around testing this stuff, jumped onto the hood of a car, continued running onto its roof, jumped again from there with enough speed to break through the window of a gas station. It was pretty cool.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an effort to get this game completed, I have axed the planned addition of Zombies in the Survival Game Mode.

Survival will remain in the game but you will be facing Invaders instead.

It would simply take too long to make the assets for the zombies as well as the AI. If I make zombies, I want them to be badass brain sucking zombies. And thinking of how much I've already got on the table I just can't see it happening in a reasonable amount of time.

Several weapons I was planning to add are being axed as well.
I don't want to say what they are since I'll probably still make them for another game in the future. Same with the zombies. But I'm realizing (finally) that I need to keep Diversion simple or it's never going to be finished.
It was an arcade flight game originally so to it's safe to say it's long strayed from it's path. I need to recover this shit!

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit, Diversion is a game now!
With just a little AI I'm now running for my life in the streets being shot at by terrible invaders :O

Like a jackass I haven't got around to making their (inferior) weapons so they're all armed with instant-hit pistols. I'm getting all shot up!

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be doing something right cause this game's got me laughing my ass off at times.

I've been working on various Character Positions. Upright, falling, jumping.. basically how the character's movement works in various positions.
I believe I posted before that I've got more physics in. So explosions and such throw things in the expected directions etc.

So, with the above features now in. I'm able to fire grenades at my victim's feet and launch them into the sky. Sometimes they dive head first into the pavement. Other times they smack into a building. One guy sailed into the ocean.
Considering they're all still wearing silly helmets from when I was testing armor collision detection.. it's all rather comical :D

(Click for bigass version)

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you need to put up a .exe of that shit, NOW!
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in a month or two heh.
Things are looking good though. I made a lot of progress this weekend!

The Character Position stuff has been cleaned up a lot. This was something that was in from the beginning but only tested in the last couple weeks. Lots of bugs and oddities.

Made a nice wrapper function that makes it easy for me to spawn a character in a vehicle and have that vehicle located and traveling at such and such settings.
This is primarily for the Interception Game Mode where I'll need to spawn multiple bombers for each Wave and even the Player I have starting in an aircraft.

I'm tweaking the physics a bit still on the side.
Primarily I'm focusing on gameplay stuff but as I see something silly with the physics I try to go in and tweak it. I'm also considering making my startup weapon random just so I give each gun a fair amount of tweaking as well.

Fixed a bug with the way blood squirts everywhere too!
There's still another bug with that effect though, sometimes it just doesn't happen when it ought to. I'm sure I'll figure it out sooner or later.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing on with gameplay related stuff. I realized the two variations of enemy aircraft wasn't going to be enough. Also I realized I could get multiple weapon types onto the same vehicles without problems. I didn't realize how well I planned ahead when I coded the vehicles so many months ago :)

(Click for bigass version)

Damn, as I look at that screenshot I realize there's another type of bomb not loaded on any of those :P
edit: Shit, Two more!

edit again:
Okay, more here and here.

It's hard to see but some of these have different AutoCannon. Some have Radar Pods and/or Spot Lights.

-Bean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeps getting full of awesome. I love the huge, fat, green bombs. What's up with the reflection spheres in the cockpits?
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I donno why but something possessed me to make em kinda cartoony. They need to be big enough to shoot so it's kind of practical too.

The engine can render reflections based on various locations. The spheres show where those locations are. These are actually disabled by default because it slows the game down quite a bit. You still get reflections but it's the same generic image on everything. If your machine can handle it though there's an option for realtime reflections. This will allow also-true reflections off rearview mirrors and other surfaces.

The bright green guys are character spawn locations. Depending on where the player is located and a few settings, the engine can spawn enemies at any of these.
I can for example say, "Spawn 3 enemies as close to the player as possible" and it'll do that, or I can spawn a boss on the far end of the map etc. It can do line of sight checks as well to prevent the player from seeing this happen.

The bright red arrows show the origin of Thing Systems. They're both a visual reference as well as helper objects so the engine can deal with loading/saving Thing Systems.

edit: n29, I'm hoping to have a beta or something before the year ends.

Well, hope that rant was interesting to something :)

-Bean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean, have you ever messed around with something like this? It might be useful for your project(s).
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nVidia has a free photoshop plugin that does the same things.
Truth is, a tool like this is a great start but there's still a good amount of regular photoshopping to do. Mainly because these tools have no way of knowing what kind of edges each change of color represents.
i.e. Could be a natural curve to it, could be overlapping metal, one object overtop another. There are many situations where you want one part blended a certain way while the other side of the edge is flat or otherwise different.

Sometimes I find it's easier to forget the tool completely and just to the work all by hand (depending on the complexity of the bump map). This can actually be faster then using a tool then making corrections.

I'll have to make a video or something showing how I've come to do this stuff.

-Bean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'll have to make a video or something showing how I've come to do this stuff.

That would prove useful for noobs like me.
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can now put gauges on the consoles of vehicles. I was going to axe this feature but the fact is, these are kind of necessary to aircraft.

The Diversion, which is the player's primary vehicle has two main engines and two additional boosters. Unlike most engines in the game these boosters can overheat to the point of destruction. Up till now there was no way to know the temperature of these things so you'd be boosting after an enemy only to have half of your wings blown off.

There's also a new Vertical Speed gauge. This is a standard feature of all planes so I thought it'd make sense to have one. This basically shows you how fast your plummeting towards the earth.

There's still room for one more gauge. An artificial horizon is the obvious choice unless I can think of something better.

Cars now have speedometers. There's an engine temp gauge (not really important for the cars but the feature's already there so I may as well apply it to cars too).

Cars are currently automatic (and will stay that way for this game), so I probably won't waste time on a tach or other in-dash features.

Other then that, today I fixed a few bugs and did some tweaking.
Next up I'll be cleaning up the menu system.

There are also some Commands which I'm planning to leave in but disable. These are things that over complicate the controls and aren't really necessary to the game.
I don't want to take them out completely because they may prove useful for a different game. So this means coming up with a way to disable Commands (i.e. so they don't show up in button config menus and such), without breaking anything.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just couldn't stop so soon today.
Got Ammo displaying on aircraft HUD's now. AutoCannon's now have limited ammo as well. Currently they start with about 500 rounds. I'll be playing with this number as the game becomes more complete.

There should be plenty of ammo to complete your task(s) but not so much where you'd want to spam your shots without a care.

One quirk about the ammo is with Missiles and Bombs. These report to the vehicle that they exist when they initialize. The vehicle has counters for the AutoCannon(s), Missiles, and Bombs. So add a Bomb, ammo_bomb++;
Drop a Bomb, ammo_bomb--.

Seems simple enough. Problem is, if a Bomb or Missile is removed without being fired (it's shot, you fly into a building etc) there's no way for the vehicle to know this and the ammo won't show the loss.

I'm not sure if this is one of those things you'd pass off as a feature or what heh. This is one problem with such modular design I guess. Getting things to communicate. In this case, the vehicle needs to communicate with something that doesn't exist.

-Bean

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.