GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Diversion Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
It seems like every year I make it a goal to finish Diversion by the end of the year. Then life gets in the way..
Life... the nemesis of men on a mission since the beginning of time. :D
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! That's very much how it's been!

Well I decided on a bit of a compromise. I forgot I had already added some flight AI and it's actually not too shabby. There still won't be dog fighting red barron style but the enemy aircraft will engage if it's convenient. However their primary objective will be to carry out bombing runs.

I now have 10 different loadouts for enemy aircraft as well. Various combinations of bomb's and air to surface missiles. I've got a few that have air to air missiles as well. I'll experiment with these and see if it makes the difficulty too insanely hard. I think it would be awesome to be flying along, hear a missile-lock warning and proceed to shit thy pants while trying to dodge impending doom!

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been coding my ass off on this AI. It's nearly complete and I'm pretty happy with the results.
I had to teach these pilots all the basics like how to bank a plane, climb to altitude x, how to use the rudder, keep the plane level, not crash into the ocean, handle an inverted situation and on and on. That was before I could even consider defining bombing runs and other fun shit.
There's still a bug or two to fix but things are kickin ass now.

AI pilots have three roles they can be in depending on the loadout of the aircraft. These are, Cruiser, Bomber and Fighter.

The Cruiser's do low altitude runs firing cruise missiles at the city from long range. They pretty much ignore the player until they run out of missiles, in which case they switch roles to Fighter.

Bombers do bombing runs from various altitudes. Generally the more devastating bombs are dropped from higher up. Some of these also carry Air to Air Missiles. They won't stray from their bombing runs but if they have a clean shot they will fire on the player. Like the Cruisers, these guys will switch to Fighter once they're out of bombs.

Fighters as you would expect engage the player directly using machine guns and Air to Air Missiles. They will also do strafing runs if the player is on the ground.

I'm really excited with how it's come out!

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:22 pm; edited 1 time
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds AMAZING! :D
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into a little issue with bombs/missiles being destroyed from aircraft. Anytime one of these are added/initialized, they report to the vehicle's Control Box that they exist. When they're fired they report that they've been removed. Thus the vehicle knows how much ammo exists.. in theory. In reality, these things can be shot off, blown up, flown into buildings etc etc.
So now the Control Box (which is the interface between the Character and the vehicle as well as memory storage) will periodically check inventory of such weapons and update ammo counts. This is a slightly complex operation so it's only done about every 20 seconds.

I actually considered not doing this and leaving the ammo to display incorrectly as a product of a damaged aircraft. In practice this would probably be too confusing for the player. More importantly it's confusing for the AI which relies on this information to determine it's role.

All of this (and believe me I had tried a bunch of other methods before landing on this one) made me realize how complex things have gotten since my old days of programming. A plane isn't just a plane with x bullets and y missiles. It's a collection of it's parts! I like watching the AI struggle to fly when I blow off half of his wing. I like how scary it is trying to fly my own aircraft when it's stabilizers have been torn off, because they're actually there to stabilize the thing. But sometimes I also think I'm insane for designing things this way ;)

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally made that missile lock warning sensor which makes a horrible tone that you'll quickly associate with the smell of thy freshly shat in pants. I had the joy of hearing it just before taking this screenshot

Here I am hunkered down in a sorry attempt to ward off the enemy with a pistol.

-Bean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahh... I love seeing the missile streaking toward your position :) :)

I have a much faster rig now so I'm looking forward to running your next demo/release at a decent frame rate.
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's running about 3X faster than that old beta you had played. I don't think you'll have any performance issues. Hell my rig is probably 5 years old now and it's running alright.

I've got the Interception game mode's rules in place. It's one thing to throw a bunch of planes into a world, and another to actually make a game out of that.
In this mode you're defending the city. The game now keeps track of how ruined the city is and scores you based on that. If the city becomes too devastated then the mission fails.
Like the Invasion game mode, there are 5 waves of enemies. Unlike Invasion, these waves come regardless of you having cleared the previous wave. So you can end up being overrun if you get distracted.

I think I mentioned having a couple other loadouts for the player's aircraft. I went ahead and put these in the hanger. Actually that screenshot above shows where they are. One of them has twin heavy autocannons (as oppose to one medium one) but only two missiles. The other has twin light autocannons, no missiles but two cluster launchers. These basically spray rockets like a swarm of bees. They shred anything in short range to bits.
Parked on the runway is a 3rd aircraft with the default loadout (one medium autocannon and 8 missiles).

I'm going to try to balance things to where you never have to use more than the aircraft/weapons that you start with. But I don't want you to feel like you're fucked if you have to eject or want to try defending things from the ground etc. You'll have lots of options. This game doesn't hold your hand.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balancing continues. One thing I needed to work out before anything was getting the bomber's accuracy improved. Which I have done. They're hitting their targets pretty good now :)
However, the city still manages to hold up too well. So I added more bombers. Which makes the game more intense but still the game is too easy. I can make the bombs do more damage, or reduce the HP of structures, or add more bombs etc. etc. It'd be easy to go overboard one way or another and fuck things up so I'm just playing the shit out of the game and tweaking little by little.
Progress continues...

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a good feeling when you forget testing and just simply play your game, and realize that it's actually fun!

I'm liking the Interception mode. It's a nice change from the FPS stuff that takes place before and after.
As for balancing, I ended up making the buildings a bit weaker and adding more enemies. The additional aircraft makes things more intense towards the end which I like. Early in the game you can kind of keep track of the two or three enemies and how threatening they are to you and/or the city. But as you get near the end there's shit flying everywhere and you're trying to figure out where that incoming missile is headed from.

Previously I stated that I'd like you to be able to complete the game mode with nothing more than the aircraft and weapons you start with. Well with the added enemies that's no longer the case. You simply don't have enough ammo and missiles. Obviously I could give you more of those but I kind of like that you have to get your feet on the ground at some point.
It does a few things. It forces you to get up close and personal to the city as it's being blown to bits. It adds a break in the gameplay and you a chance to regroup and determine how to proceed. Which vehicle?
Also, if you know you're going to be ditching your aircraft at some point anyway, you don't feel so attached to it. So when it's shot to shit or that missile's coming, you don't feel so bad about bailing out.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've begun work on the 3rd and final mode, Survival. This is meant to be the real challenge mode of the game. Invasion gets you used to the game and how it's played. Survival kicks you in the balls the moment you do anything stupid like charge a mob of enemies head on. Oh that's another thing, there are mobs in this mode.
Mobs (like in other games) are groups of similar characters. So unlike Invasion where you've got a guy here and there and you can attack them one on one, these guys have strength in numbers. It's easy to dodge one guy with a pistol. Five of them? ..while also dealing with other shit? Now we've got a game!

Another difference in this mode is that the waves of enemies don't wait for you to finish the wave you're already dealing with. After a set time, like it or not they're coming!

One more thing to make this a pants shitting game mode is that it takes place on a foggy night! Try not to blow up too many light sources ;)

-Bean

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.