GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Diversion Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to working on the water. This is probably the last Engine type thing I had left. I'll have screenshots when I've got it looking better. Honestly it's nothing you haven't seen already in any current FPS..

Translucent water with semi reflective surface. The sun shines nicely and you can look down and see the sea floor and whatever else is down there.

I had to do some tweaking with how I built my list of objects to display. Also found a minor bug in there while I was at it. I've got it so things can generally pass above and below the water surface without it glitching. The trick was doing so without breaking the normal z-sorting stuff.

Well it's been a long day of coding and tomorrow will probably be another one. I'd like to get this done this weekend so I can get back into gameplay shit again next week.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a rare event, I got some coding done during the week!
That doesn't happen too often due to my normal job leaving me with nothing left by the time I get home.

Anyway, I've got water splashes now. Like when you shoot the water, or something drops in etc. Yeah I know it's nothing too exciting but it's something that got done in just a few hours so I'm happy with it.
Oh and there's rings too. They're pretty, need tweaking though.

I'm going to wrap that stuff up right now, then it's on to.. um *checks list* ..Punch Attack! Cause currently your helpless without a weapon.

Yeah, so I'll post again later this weekend with any news.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because I'm lazy, I'm going going to copy and paste from what I already explained in IRC...

I've been rewriting my car engine/transmission code
What I had in before was kinda shitty. I coulda worked with it but .. well it was kinda shitty heh

I originally had it kinda like a cheap arcade-like game. You press the "Go" button and the car goes.
I mean everything else is more realistic. Not to the point of being simulation but it needed to feel more like a car.
I had previously tweaked shit a bit but finally today I was like fuck all that.

So now there's a throttle that ranges 0 to 100%. The engine takes that value and outputs an RPM to the drivetrain which has it's own RPM. Based on the engine's capabilities the drivetrain's RPM will influence the engine's RPM. The final thrust of the vehicle is based on the drivetrain's RPM
There's a basic transmission (automatic) as well.
I did all this because, that shit I understand. Making up my own arcade style crap makes less sense to me.
This way I can plug in real world numbers and the things work as expected.

With all that done, I'll dumb it down a bit to make it easy to control.
Like I did the with aircraft. those will fly at ridiculously slow speeds. But if you were flying at actual speeds you'd jet past the entire city in half a second heh
So cars will only go like 30 or 40 mph or something, steering might be a bit easier, things like that.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of you may recall a niffty feature I had in Wicked Steel where you could pause the game, and while paused, press a button to advance everything one frame at a time.

I've added this to Mutiny (and thus Diversion). Then I went the extra mile and add a free floating camera as well. I may disable this camera before releasing the game since it would allow you to cheat (look behind walls and such).

It's real purpose is for me to be able to take epic screenshots as well as free everything like Hero and walk around to find bugs or whatever.
Really this is something I should have added a long time ago and I suggest you guys all do the same. 2D or 3D, it's good to be able to study the game world frame by frame from any position.

It's getting late so I haven't had time to really use this new tool. But here's a few shots I took just now. From here on out expect better screenshots in general.

Shot a grenade near this car:

This poor bastard happened to be next to it

There's me in the distance

Note those three shots (and many out takes) were all within the same second or two. By being able to freeze time, I'm able to get all the juicy details.

I got shot in the arm :(

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:13 pm; edited 1 time
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to report. Took it easy this weekend.
One thing I did do was simplify the Menu UI. Which was something I had been meaning to do for awhile. What i had was a bit of a mess. An I still wouldn't call it elegant now. It is a bit better.

If your familiar with the typical DOOM like structure, then you'll be right at home. There's a Main Menu, and from there you've got New Game, Options, Scores, About, Quit.
New Games takes you to a list of game modes.
Options opens a list of options, Game Settings, Sound Settings, Controls etc..

Yeah nothing exciting I know. In fact the next few things on my to-do list are pretty boring but it all needs to be done. I've been hitting all the fun stuff and now it's time to catch up on all the crap I've been neglecting.

I'll continue posting my progress on this. If anything, just to let people know that game development has it's down sides as well.

Next up, coming up with a list of default controls. Oooooo! . . . Aaaaaaah!...

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I mentioned I needed to do before but never did was allow various Commands to be hidden/disabled.

That's now done. For example I could disable the Jump command (by adding it to a list) and it will be removed from the Controls Menu. This way I don't have to actually remove the code that controls jumping. So in a later game if I want Jumping to be back in, I can easily do that.

The main reason for this is simply because I've done a lot of experimenting throughout the development of the engine and the game and there's several Commands that are simply not needed for Diversion.

i.e. Inventory Commands like most FPS games where your toting around like 9 guns at the push of a button.
Diversion has no such weapons selection. You can carry one two-handed weapon or two one-handed weapons.

Another Command removed is the Swap Command. This allowed you to switch the two things in both hands. Or if you only had one object, it'd put it into the other hand. This used to be handy when picking up an object always put it into your primary hand (or the other if the primary was occupied).
But I have since made it so that there's two pickup/drop buttons. You don't want to be standing there getting your shit together in the heat of battle. This allows you to put it where you want in the first place.
If you really need to swap your items you can always drop what you have and pick them up again.

Anyway, so yeah, UI is improving. Trying to keep the number of buttons needed to a minimum.
I came up with some decent Default controls. Typical Mouse/Keyboard stuff although the game works great with a dual analog gamepad as well.

Guess that's it for now.

edit: Controlling aircraft with a mouse kinda sucks. It's doable but not as good as having an analog stick of some sort.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to making a way to throw one-line messages on the screen. This is yet another feature I had in Wicked Steel that I wanted to bring over.

As I'm sure you've seen I've already got a console but ideally, the User will never see that. The console is mainly for error messages, debugging, Build Mode messages and things of that sort.

The player gets messages delivered in nice big letters bottom/center of the screen. Diversion actually won't use it too often. I'm trying not to have any kind of HUD at all in this game. Sometimes, I do need to tell the player something though. i.e. "Paused", "Game Over", "2:00 Remain" etc.

Aside from that I've been fixing and tweaking and doing some other things...

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what can I say, life grabbed me by the balls and pretty much halted my development efforts for the past two months. Looking back at the schedule I wrote up in December, Diversion was suppose to be released by now. Shit happens...

I won't bullshit you and say things are back in full swing yet, but the ball is rolling once more.. slowly.

Don't really have anything exciting to say I've done. Cleaning up the menu input code. Your character auto-crouches when trying to pick up something that's too low. Aircraft HUD has a little crosshair now to make it easier to target specific objects. Little things like that.
The deeper shit will happen once I'm back into my old groove.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go go go. More power to you. I'm looking forward to playing this.
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh joy, you don't have to worry about dropping things on yourself anymore ...and having the hit body part explode!

...yeah, been meaning to fix that for awhile :P

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see how that might be a bit off-putting

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that would have been a bit of a deal breaker ;)
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, you're doing it all wrong. You're supposed to call it a feature, then add a quicktime minigame to grow limbs back.
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, the growing of Limbs. You know, that wouldn't be hard to do..

Anyway, polished things up a bit more today. Once again, nothing too exciting.
The Results screen now has a timer which prevents you from leaving the screen for 3 seconds. This is the screen you get after you Win/Fail/Die.
This is pretty much just to prevent you from accidentally exiting out before seeing how you did.

It's no longer possible to use "Default" as your User Name. The engine supports multiple Users. Stuff like game options, display prefs, button configs, things like that are stored in a User directory. The User "Default" is reserved and contains all the default settings. So obviously it'd be bad if you chose "Default" as your User name and thus overwrote all those settings.
Diversion actually doesn't have an option in it's menu to change Users. The multi-User stuff I decided to put into the Mutiny Engine from the start though because I figured it'd be a pain in the ass to add in later.

My list of bugs is pretty much gone at this point. Soon I'll be doing nothing but adding the remaining content to the game.

I need to add a few more 3D models, some code for the three different game modes, define what each Wave consists of, pilot AI (which will be fairly basic), sound code and sound effects.

Pretty sure that's all that's left.
As for the sound effects, I'll be reusing a lot of stuff from my previous games just to hurry Diversion along.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did some work on aircraft today.
Some minor stuff with the HUD. Engine throttle is no longer displayed for engines that don't exist.

Added Wobble to aircraft when they're missing certain parts which they had initially. i.e. If you lose a wing the aircraft will not stay pointed in the same direction. Lose another wing, or part of a wing, it'll get worse. Lose the nose and things get really bad.

This is different from Stabilization, which was already in. Stabilization dampens existing rotation. Wings and dedicated stabilizers have this property.

Both of these features make the vehicle fly smooth and straight or shaky and out of control depending on how complete the aircraft is.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like the bastard love child of an SR-71 and an Ar-Wing :)
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xearthianx wrote:
That looks like the bastard love child of an SR-71 and an Ar-Wing :)

I'd hit that.
Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a heatwave coming through this weekend. That combined with the excessive overclocking of my system and the lack of good cooling.. well let's just say it was all bad. Memory started corrupting data and I lost a day or two of source code. Imagine launching your IDE and being greeted by a page full of gibberish. Bad times.

Always backup your shit peoples!

I now have my system stable again. The lost code has been rewritten and things are back on track again. But I lost about a day's worth of time.

-Bean

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There's a heatwave coming through this weekend. That combined with the excessive overclocking of my system and the lack of good cooling..

I have enough trouble as is with regular equipment; overclocking would be like begging for assrape. I don't do "formal" backups to optical media as often as I should, but I always keep multiple copies of my current projects floating around.

We're actually experiencing the exact opposite here -- it's raining like crazy and all the cloud cover is keeping the temp down about ten degrees or so. With all the heat generating stuff in my office it's no wonder I love devving during the winter... heh.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one for size: my cable internet is down when the temperature gets below a certain value. I usually have internet from dawn till dusk. Rainy days however, internet is up between 4pm and 11pm, which is horrible.

Digital TV goes down too, so evenings tend to be boring as hell.
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrapping up a few loose ends before I begin focusing on my upcoming move to Florida (I'll save those details for another thread).
Fixed up and optimized some collision detection. And completed a nice function that spawns Supply Drops.

Supply Drops are just what they sound like, I can put goodies into a container and parachute it into the game world. If I had 8 hours a day to work on this I'd have a plane or something actually fly overhead and toss these out. Odds are they'll just spawn from high altitude and that'll be the end of it.

The parachutes are actually functional and can be attached to anything. I could drop in a vehicle if I wanted.
I'll also be using these for pilots. Unlike other games, you will be equipped with just one parachute, which will show on your back if you have one. Pressing jump while falling will deploy it.

Once landed, the chute collapses and fades out. If it completely fades, it's gone forever. But you do have a couple seconds to jump off of something (like a building) before that happens, in which case it'll reopen again.

-Bean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I like the 'chute idea. So... as long as you survive your plane exploding, and have a parachute, you can drift safely back to Earth? Awesome :)
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unless you die in the explosion!

There is an eject button though. It is to be used wisely :)

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude you better back this shit up off site somewhere JUST IN CASE because if you lose your source code during one of you nomadic meanderings I WILL commit sepuku.
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, funny I did an off-site backup just two days ago :)

I keep three backups in three locations anytime I do any traveling. One on my dev system, one in my pocket and another off-site. Actually, I'll have a fourth in a fire-box in a storage unit this time around. So unless the planet is hit by a kamehameha my code should be secure.

My upcoming trip will no doubt delay Diversion yet again but damnit I'll finish this one eventually. Now that I think about it, I'll be unemployed for awhile so I may actually gain some dev time! We'll just have to see how things pan out.

-Bean

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.