GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Diversion Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hard Rock
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windowing worked for me too, but I also got fullscreen working. In order to do so I changed display_format from 22 to 32.

With that said in windowed everything ran fine, but I still got lots of artifacting in fullscreen on the shaders, and about 50% of the time the screen would start up looking really strange and stretched. Running it again and again always gives different results.
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, played it in windowed mode. Had to copy d3d9x_43.dll to get it to work though. One thing I noticed right away is that the up key doesn't work in menu (neither does the W key). I was only able to move down. On my first attempt, I didn't look at the controls, so i missed all my shots, tried to hit them melee, and died eventually. On my second try, I got to wave 3, but then got stuck in a table and died there because of enemy fire. Moments before that, I was able to hop over a car and the wall behind it and found a shotgun. Enemies take quite a few hits, even with the gun! But the pea shooter is still the best weapon because of unlimited ammo and its insane fire rate! B-)
It's sometimes hard to find all the enemies because they are so scattered across the level and you're racing against the clock. Once an enemy spawned on the roof of a house and it took me a while to find him.
The melee fighting reminds me of http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1473965863/sui-generis?ref=live because of the drunken master fighting style! :D
I didn't see any HUD, is this intentional?
Oh, and I don't have an english keyboard, so my Y and Z keys are swapped... just so you know. ;)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't stress out over my gamepad. I've got a Gamecube -> usb adapter, and it reports the analog sticks in a different fashion than most. Hence, a lot of modern games just won't work with it. I ran into that when working on Shut up and Die.

I've got a Radeon 7770, and I haven't seen any noticeable visual oopsies, but my frame rate is awfully low (~15 fps, I'm guessing).

Things got a lot better after I realized I could pick up the invaders' guns, which have infinite ammo. Until then I just ran around punching guys, occasionally breaking my arm :)
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome feedback guys!
There are some gameplay elements that aren't explained too well. So let me try..

There is indeed no HUD. If you really need a hint of your status you can press C to switch to a 3rd person camera.
You start with an Ammo Pack on your lower back. It contains two extra mags for each gun in the game as well as extra rounds for the rifles etc. Press R to reload from this. R will also swap the mag in the gun with one containing more ammo. You can safely smash R throughout the game to automatically maintain the most ammo in your weapon. R will also use ammo laying around to reload your gun or your Ammo Pack.

Hit locations matter. Aim for the head or other exposed areas.

This demo is pretty damn hard. I don't expect anyone to complete it. I've been playing it for ages so it's hard to judge the difficulty but i'm interested in hearing how far people get so I can balance it better.

Punching is somewhat beta, hence the crazy flailing. It's functional but will be polished up eventually. I needed something in place to bust open the crates.

Finding the enimes can indeed be a bitch. I'm open to ideas to make this easier. For now the best way is to listen for them. Not everyone has surround sound so I'm thinking maybe a tracking device as an item?

I'll be addressing framerate issues soon. I generally get 30fps most of the time though. Anyone else having problems?

Collision also needs some work sadly. I've gotten stuck on the cars a few times. I'll try to have a fix soon.

Hard Rock, thanks for the info about the format. That's a great clue! Perhaps the default isn't supported on everyone's card. I'm not sure if 32 is valid but it probably defaulted to something that was.

I know this game isn't the next CoD but I appreciate you guys giving it a try. I'll fix and polish it best I can!

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I see what my FPS are? It feels like its high enough until I actually aim. When I do aim it seems like everything slows down.
I was happily surprised to find out that the buildings are destructable. I accidentally tipped a building on a squad of aliens. I think I killed almost the whole second wave with that move :).

I guess the character trips easier if he has been shot in the leg? I fell constantly in one of my games, just walking not jumping sideways into a wall.
I did manage to strife through a fence and landed in the water.
I also manage to punch an alien into a vehicle. Then I broke my hand trying to punch him again lol.
Flying the airplane wasn't the easiest thing ever. I lost sight of everything shootworthy and I guess I ended up somewhere far away out in the sea when the time was up.

This engine would fit a survival horror game quite nice I think.

I have a Radeon HD5800 and it runs fine both in windowed and fullscreen.
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's promising to hear someone's able to run the game both windowed and fullscreen!
FPS is displayed in the top right while in the graphics options. Or if you want to monkey with the options.cfg file you can make it display at all times by setting display_fps to 1,

Vehicles are a bit sloppy right now which is why the cars are disabled in the demo.
The 2nd game mode (Interception) will be more or less all flying so I will be be addressing aircraft dynamics before releasing a version with that game mode. I left them enabled because they fly well enough to mess around with but they're not really designed for attacking surface targets (fun to try though!).

The 3rd game mode (Survival) will be very survival horror inspired without having zombies. It will be that kind of atmosphere though. Then as you progress it will ramp up into a very difficult frenzy as you attempt to evacuate the island altogether. If you wait on the new game screen a radio dialog will play that outlines the events leading up to the start of the game. More story elements will be added in the full version.

It is possible to have a broken or amputated limb. If you have a busted leg you will trip if you move too fast. This is easier to manage with an analog stick. On keyboard, just tap the movement keys to get around slower. Use medikits to fix broken limbs. Medikits can not re-grow body parts however.

Everything except the island itself is destructible ;)

It's becoming clear that I need to document or otherwise present a lot of the mechanics to the player better. Please, post if something seems confusing or weird so I can address them. Maybe I'll add some how-to type stuff to the loading screens.

It's interesting how much punching you guys are doing hehe The most unpolished attack in the game and that's what everyone's using! Perhaps I should put more ammo in the world.

Oh and did anyone happen to log what happens with the black fullscreen issue?

-Bean

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oh and did anyone happen to log what happens with the black fullscreen issue?

I didn't see any logged data -- is there a logfile generated by the game?

The game runs normally; I can get through menus and into the invasion mode. It's just that the screen is completely black at all times.

Quote:

It's interesting how much punching you guys are doing hehe The most unpolished attack in the game and that's what everyone's using! Perhaps I should put more ammo in the world.

At the start of the game you only have... what, 20 rounds of ammo? And without a reticle it's easy to hit the enemies in limbs, or miss. So that goes by fast. Then you're punching like mad until you figure out you can pick up their guns (dual wield FTW).
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're pressing Shift to Aim right? There's no reticle because you're meant to use the sights on the actual gun.

options.cfg and the log file are under:
\users\User_01\

If you don't see the log file, set log_console to 1 in options.cfg

Here's a patch to hopefully fix some of the fullscreen issues:
Version 0.90 to 0.91 (Newer version is available below)

-Bean

Edited by Bean on Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 pm; edited 1 time
Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Version 0.92 Patch to address the control issues.

This should fix the issue with Up not working and hopefully the need for some people to unplug their game controller(s).

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bean wrote:
The 3rd game mode (Survival) will be very survival horror inspired without having zombies.

Have you played DayZ? Something like that would kick ass.

To me, the elements that work for that game are the vastness of the environment (really open outdoor terrain) and the multi-player aspect (never knowing who to trust). Obviously the multi-player aspect is moot in your case, but I think that in terms of level design, it might give you some ideas.

Haven't been able to play the game yet, I don't have internet yet in my new apartment, so I can't download it at home.
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not played DayZ or much of anything the past couple years. Mainly due to lack of time.

I think it's been kind of good thing that I haven't played anything similer to my own project(s) though. A vast number of games out there these days are just rehashes of other games or a collection of ideas done elsewhere. I'd rather my games offer something completely different. Something uninfluenced by much else. Obviously I'm not completely oblivious and there are certainly better games out there.
I'd like to think the things I do are unique.. even if nobody cares in the end :)

Something I've been putting off for after the demo release was an upgrade of Visual Studio. I didn't want to deal with the pain of getting Diversion working again after such a change. I was totally shocked when the new version opened and compiled my project on the first time without a hitch! I expected to spend at least a day to get something to compile at all.

To my knowledge, there aren't any major bugs left to squash so unless someone chimes in with something I'll be taking a short break from Diversion to catch up on other (non-geek) projects. In a week or two I'll gut out the renderer and most of my shader code to impliment a graphical overhaul.

-Bean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've barely even gotten started, and haven't played the .92 update yet. I've been busy with a home project most of this week. This weekend should be good, though. I haven't even messed with the vehicles ^__^

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, yeah, the .92 update combined with your advice on the aim button makes a whole world of difference. I can actually have some fun now :)

I took off in a plane, and zapped some things but quickly crashed. Mouse control with airplanes is always tough -- come games have figured it out but most don't. I found some medical kits and body armor, but couldn't use them. I picked them up, but I guess I wasn't hitting the right button. Gotta take another look at the key bindings and see what I'm missing.

The parachute drops were awesome. You can pick up just about anything -- also very awesome. You can beat people with their own limbs -- extra awesome.

The movement is very slippery, though. I wouldn't mind if you tightened that up so you don't slide so much when walking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! How did I miss this? Work trips. Can't get into it tonight, but this is going to give me a reason to boot into Windows real soon.

Congrats on getting the demo out.
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a vest, helmet and an ammo pack from the start so those can't be equipped unless you lose the one's you've got.

You can however Reload with the Ammo Pack if you've got one already. It'll top off the one you have. And vest can be held up in front of you like a shield if one is already equipped.

MediKits don't do anything unless you have a broken limb. I need to make them more useful though because those situations are somewhat rare.

As for the movement. It was actually a lot worse before the demo but I wasn't sure how much to tweak it. After playing more post-release I have to agree with you that it needs to be tighter.

btw, I don't think anyone's found the Thumper yet. It's not 100% complete but it's nifty.

Thanks Sonrisu, it's been a long time coming! I've still got a huge list ahead of me but at least there's something to show for :)

I'll release another patch or two. I'm focusing on things that don't require editing/adding assets. So I can just toss out a new exe for you guys.

-Bean

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that explains why I couldn't get the armor and medkit to do anything. I wish the land vehicles were unlocked, though!
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 0.94 is now available!
...and since I didn't really announce 0.93, here's what's new since 0.92

Code:
----------------------------------------------------
Version 0.94    2013/01/04    High Scores

High Scores are now recorded.

Snot Gun has been nerfed.

Character movement now comes to a stop faster.

Water is now more dense.

Enemy voice frequency varies more from character to character and type.

Minor AI tweaks (They're still pretty stupid).

Fixed an AI bug causing enemies to occasionally target things that don't exist.

Fixed a buffer overflow.

----------------------------------------------------
Version 0.93    2012/12/13    Misc

Added helpful Tips.

Cleaned up Warmup State and made it faster. This also made the new game selection seemingly more responsive.

Barbute helmets are now equipable.

Added application icon.

Better selection of Screen Mode when pref mode is not supported.

There isn't an interface yet for add/renaming your Username so your high scores are labeled at "User_01".
That said, I'd be interested in hearing any notable high scores so I can tweak the difficulty. This game mode is intended to be tough to beat but nothing any good gamer shouldn't be able to complete after playing the game some.

I'd also like to hear any unusual strategies.

-Bean
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, version 0.94 was the last Demo release for the next month or three.

I'm starting work on Mutiny Phase III and the rest of Diversion so a lot more then the exe is going to be changing. I haven't yet decided if there will be another release with 2 of the 3 game modes at some point of if the next release will be the final. We shall see...

-Bean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, glad you posted. I downloaded the 0.94 update earlier, but totally forgot due to a certain... uh... okay, Stalker wiped my brain clean. Duh.

I'm back to this now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, yeah, significantly better this time. The movement feels less floaty. Still a little bit much, but it's a huge improvement compared to 0.90.

I did run into a weird occurrence where the back wall of a garage disappeared. It was near my starting point that round, where two turreted vehicles are parked. Since the wall was gone, I could shoot right through it. Dunno if that was destructable or what. (see edit below)

Also, I laughed so much when I died in a tragic gas station explosion :) that was so awesome.

Edit:

Oh... looks like walls can be destroyed. Huh.... (evil grin).

So I blow up a 3 or 4 story building with an enemy on top. It tilts to the side and collapses (very cool) sending him falling to the ground. He lands like nothing happened at all :(

I usually get raped on round three.
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback :)

Everything except the ground is destructible!
Sorry the enemies on the rooftops tend to fall with the buildings so the fall damage isn't fatal. That's an oversight. They do go squish if they're under them at least hehe

The first couple of waves are meant to show you the ropes. Shit starts getting hard after that. Wave 3 has a sniper.

Gas stations, vehicle gas tanks and the Thumper (if it's overheated... and you can find it) will explode when destroyed. Use these to your advantage.

-Bean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of getting some more vehicles in the next demo? (if there is one)

I'd love to hop on some of those gun-trucks and start mowing people down.
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I'm working on rewriting the renderer so it'll be awhile but yes, the vehicles will be usable.
Last time I worked on them I was making them control more realistic but decided to re-focus my attention to other areas so I could get the demo out. I want them to feel right and I want there to be a sense of panic when you're trying to get going while the enemies are closing in (like in any good horror movie). They'll also accelerate slower then normal for the same reason.
The game world is very small so that's another reason the vehicles (aircraft included) are slower.
It's a lot to balance so I didn't want to make them usable until they were ready.

-Bean
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to try this out next time I boot windows. Also, I suggest you put something like a forklift or a similar small seemingly useless vehicle in the game. It's just a personal idea though, because I love driving dumb vehicles around for some reason. :)
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's got a good point. A novelty vehicle is always fun. Reminds of playing Need for Speed 2 with my dad as a kid and driving school bus races in a mountain track, going 5mph up a hill and ramming each other :)

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.