GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Errro Page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Development Log - Errro Reply with quote

Mmmmmm something smells gooooood! Oh yeah! Secret project!

Sorry, I had to savor that for such a moment longer. I guess I owe you something for such a self-aggrandizing act.

Errro - Demonstration Level

This is a puzzler. For now, let's use the screenshot as a puzzle of its own, along with the name of course. What thinks you?

For those less inclined toward guessing what the heck I am ever thinking (who would deign to know), I will probably post a movie of some sort to spruce things up tomorrow along with more details. =)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puzzle games are awesome. Now I'm beginning to wonder what the arrow blocks are used for, as well as the balloons. Why post a tease if it's not even done? :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ladders make it look very Lode-Runner-Inspired. Not that I'd call it a bad thing, mind you.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Lode Runner, but technically this probably won't have too much in common with it. :)

Today I bring you the [strike]threatened[/strike] promised gameplay video.

[url]

This shows the purpose of the arrows. =) I had to spend a little time fixing up the Pacman code for them today. It all seems to work pretty well now, though.

As I mentioned on IRC earlier (and as anyone in there who heard me deriding Flash in previous days may have ascertained), I'm coding this game in Flash / Actionscript. Despite [strike]some[/strike] many roadblocks along the brief path of development, I've managed to get to a pretty good point codewise.

I plan to release the source along with the game. I also ambit to put together a short tutorial series on open source Flash development. I don't think a lot of users here run Lie-nux, but the open source approach also would probably provide a less harrowing (I initially considered calling this game 'arrowing Adventures but it sounded too wordy) development experience for Windows users as well. (I know nothing about Mac, sorry. :P )

Sound enthusiasts might appreciate that I've already added a background loop and a couple of sound effects here and there.

Tomorrow I will probably post a similar video of the level editor, if I get things working properly. After that, we'll look into hooking you up with the beta. Suckers! :P
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, wow. I really like this concept. I was thinking "I really like this concept", and then the arrows wrapped across the screen and I was thinking "I really like this concept." If you extend this with more than just the moving arrow blocks it could be a hit if enough levels are provided. The edge-wrapping adds the perfect twist.

You need some kind of setting where you can tweak the speed, though. I can already see myself going batshit insane with the slow speed those things are moving right now. I assume you can't move until the platform has stopped?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? That is a pretty cool concept. Good job!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa. That's extremely clever. Nice Mike.
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your prediction proves prescient, sonrisu; you cannot step off of a moving block. :)

He he, I didn't know for sure that I'd get this next video done tonight or not. I finally managed to get a decent system rigged together, though. Do keep in mind that it needs [strike]some[/strike] a lot of polish interface-wise. Nonetheless, it's sporting pretty solid functionality.

[url]

You get 3 save slots to keep "draft" versions of your levels. If you are making a level and suddenly have to leave for some reason, you can just save it, close the browser, and return to it later. =) I just store the data in cookies, obviously.

I added other various small things today such as restart level, playtest level (a quick live test in the editor that you can cancel (returning to the editor) at any time), and some of the other little things you might notice in the video.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching that second video I can really see the depth to this game. I didn't even think about the fact that you could juts walk off ledges to fall through the floor and come out of the ceiling and land somewhere cool. That is absolutely brilliant. I want you to finish this game now, because it looks so mind-bendingly puzzling awesome. I imagine it can be pretty tough to make some complicated and challenging levels -- but man, I'm just imagining the kind of stuff you can pull off with a system like this. I have many suggestions, but I'll hold those off until you're ready for them, I suppose. :)

I also noticed that your in-game editor/gui thingamagig is really, really nice looking. Did you get a lot of that due to the fact that it's flash, or is most of it programming of your own widgets, etc? The tile/block selector seemed especially nice.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of it is done manually; I'm not sure if Flash offers anything that would facilitate things like that, but I'm not aware of such features.

I picked up some graph paper at the store this morning. Maybe it wll help out with the level design. :)
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is ... so cool...

[url]
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By Jove, I think you're on to something!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Keep going! More mechanics!
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite cool. Will you be able to drop a block onto an errro and when it comes in contact with an errro ghost it will turn into a real errro? Oh man. The possibilities are endless. This is a really cool concept. The moving arrows that fill in remind me of the colored blocks on Super Mario World!
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything that isn't the player will turn into an errro block when it hits one of those things. :)

I ran into a small hiccup last night that prompted the string compression thread. I've been storing the "drafts" of levels as cookies. You might have noticed that in the 2nd gameplay video. Well, I apparently crossed the size limit; I was getting "header too long" errors when I tried to load the page. :P

As such it looks like I will be switching over to using flash local objects (basically flash cookies); I probably should have done that from the start. =)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I was trying to get at was if you put a block on top of a filled in errro, will it begin moving? And then, if while moving, it pushes the block into, say, an outlined errro, would that errro fill in and then be usable? It would be a cool mechanic to have to drop blocks onto filled errros for the sole purpose of turning some unfilled errro into a later-usable errro.

Make sense?
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonrisu wrote:
What I was trying to get at was if you put a block on top of a filled in errro, will it begin moving? And then, if while moving, it pushes the block into, say, an outlined errro, would that errro fill in and then be usable? It would be a cool mechanic to have to drop blocks onto filled errros for the sole purpose of turning some unfilled errro into a later-usable errro.

Make sense?

[url] =)
sonrisu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yeah. That's what I'm talking about. It will be awesome to have puzzles like that where you need to stack bunches of blocks or something. Can you push blocks that are stacked more than one high?
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, this looks interesting :P
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew. I think I finally have the object pushing finished off.

Clearly it worked for the most part already, but I needed to make sure that you couldn't push an object if it were falling. Previously, you see, you could not only push a crate off of a ledge but also push it even farther away as you walked off of the ledge.

When I detect a collision between two objects, I of course look to see if the moved-into object can move. In addition to a quick weight comparison, I make sure it wouldn't be moving into a wall or anything like that. My initial code looked something like this...

Quote:
x += 1;
if (intersect with object)
{
if ( !move object right ) { x -= 1; }
}

When I went to incorporate my can_be_moved function, this implementation led me to trouble. In can_be_moved, I check to see whether moving an object down one pixel would result in a collision. This gives me a pretty reliable measure of whether it's sitting on the ground (or another object) or not.

However, with the (for example) player having just moved into the object (and thus having triggered an initial intersection), the can_be_moved function every time saw that already-existing intersection and thus okayed the move. Bad! Bad!

So now, my code looks more like this.

Quote:
x += 1;
if (intersect with object X)
{
x -= 1;
if (successfully move object X to the right) { x += 1; } // restore the move after all
}

Hey, you there. *pokes /you* Wake up. Wake up! :P
mikedoty
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 tutorial levels covering all objects. Do your worst.

http://www.psyguygames.com/errr0/

1 level also in the "load level" section. Kind of. Editor should work, and publishing works (auto approve for now). Play around with it if you'd like.

Oh yeah, make sure your sound is on loud enough. One loop of the rough background track, and you can't miss the sound effect on Lesson 14.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, glue.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit, I found a bug. I was making the sweetest level that required some precision dropping onto moving blocks, and the world ended. So, it goes like this: if the player drops onto an already moving arrow and lands on the 'tail" end of the arrow, once the arrow stops the player will no longer be able to move. :(
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, dang, harsh. I pull the curtain off nearly a half dozen creative new objects and get a remark on the glue and a bug report. =)

Just keep the draft on the level. There are still other bugs as well. In due time.
PoV

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's neat. The glue stood out to me a funny idea. Sorta like a spike pit without the death part. I apologize for finding obscure things amusing. :)
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Errro Page 1, 2  Next

Use this link to get a Sign-On Bonus when you get started!

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.