GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Tank Game (v:1.0e, +sound +min.fixes) Page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I know I said I wouldn't develop this any further but I spent the whole day creating/implementing and tweaking some sound effects.
Most of the sounds are just played and forgotten but with the tanktrack sounds I did make heavy use of Allegros playback manipulation functions, so these were the most interesting to implement and took the longest time to tweak. Here it is: Version1.0d

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Most of the sounds are just played and forgotten but with the tanktrack sounds I did make heavy use of Allegros playback manipulation functions

Care to give us some details on that part? I'm always up for some manipulation!
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought, it's not that much manipulation. I guess I could have taken it a lot further:

Well, if you listen to the sounds the tracks make in the game, you'll notice that the volume and the panning is based on the tanks position and constantly being adjusted while it is moving, also the frequency of playback changes based on the tanks speed (like in racing games of the Atari era).

The more damaged a tank gets, the crankier it starts to sound too (this however is not achieved by direct sound manipulation (except some adjustments to the playback frequency) but rather by having different sound effects)).

So... uhm, ... I run away in shame for claiming to have made heavy use of manipulation, when in fact it was just stuff that felt obvious. :P

Oh and also, there is now a new map called rocks.txt, which was created by Thunder.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's still pretty good. That's far more than most people ever do in terms of manipulating data. I do a lot of random pitch and volume modulation, but nothing beyond that. I'd like to eventually take a few days to write a nice sound lib (on top of Allegro, obviously) that would make it easy for me to implement panning, distortion, and other effects automatically based on where objects are in the 'world.' That's just way more than I need right now.
Gil
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like something that can be described as scenegraph shaders.

Some sort of effect that can be added to scenegraph objects, which automatically does sound effects for example (as you describe). It could also be something graphical (position manipulation with recursion), which is common for scenegraphs.

I made an RPG engine a while ago that treated status effects like that. Enemies might be grouped, so an area of effect spell that hit all enemies is just an effect on that scenegraph group.

Sound manipulation on scenegraph sounds fun, I'll be doing that in some project for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the sounds, and this new map is quite good ;).
Now i just need someone here to play with.

But this was the first time i run Tankgame with Windows 7 and it reall messes my windows graphics up. All the Colours on both attached TFTs are being reduced.
Is there a way not to do that?
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be most cool for sound manipulation would be to have a full-featured on-the-fly software synthesizer to generate/manipulate and playback all sounds in real-time (like SFXR does). This would save a lot of disk space and if CPU load is a concern, you could still generate the sounds prior to running the game and keep them in RAM. (I think this is common practice in the demoscene, where they do those fancy 'keep it small' competitions.) Having the synthesizer code in-game would allow for many many (countless even) cool effects and variation to make a game sound less boring/repetitive.

Thunder wrote:
But this was the first time i run Tankgame with Windows 7 and it reall messes my windows graphics up. All the Colours on both attached TFTs are being reduced.
Is there a way not to do that?
I have added some code to default the game to run in 32bpp color mode (previously 8bpp) and to convert all graphics resources accordingly upon initialization.
Please use the following TankGameHotFix1.0e(.exe only) and please report if this resolves the problem. You will have to delete any old constants.cfg file in the game dir for this to work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done, version 1.0e works quite fine now.
I wish all bugfixes would be this fast.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Windows 7 can't run a windowed 8bpp game without b0rking the desktop? You've gotta be kidding me. That has to be some sort of driver issue.
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

256 colors had it's couple decades. Welcome to 2010. Time for a few more colors. ;)
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deny you. It's only a few days past 1993. It's not my fault you people don't have magical time machines that run off grainy 4th generation VHS copies of Babylon 5.
PoV

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even VHS had more than 256 colors. ;)
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's indead strange behaviour on Windows7 but anyway, Allegro is awesome enough to be able to handle most of the color-depth change conversions itself, so it wasn't a big deal to fix. :)

I have also successfully tested if it still compiles in Linux(used the same Ubuntu VM as last year in May), so here's for now the final version (until the next time I stumble across something I want to add...heh):
TankGameV1.0e
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.