GDR Forum Index
Podcast Podcast
Dev Dev Logs
Search Search
RSS RSS
Register Register
Reply to topic GDR Forum Index -> Game Developer's Refuge -> Development Log - Inimicus Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put Inimicus on the back burner for the moment, what with things being... things. I've been keeping busy, though. I spent the early evening overhauling my horrible encryption routines, which were over a decade old. The new stuff is more secure and uses a lot less memory, but is a bit slower due to more bit twiddling and the like. Every now and then I like to tackle something like this to make sure I'm staying well-rounded. It's also nice to blow out some old code and clearly demonstrate that you've learned a few things over the years ;) I've also been developing some tools, as time (and inspiration) allows.

I'm gearing up to start my next project when Inimicus is released. I'm quite excited about it -- it's something totally different from my previous projects. As I've mentioned before, I'll be dual developing it alongside FB:Cry Havoc, which is quite far in development, but badly in need of a pseudo-rewrite. Should be interesting.
sonrisu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the back burner? It's so close!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short story is that I'm wandering through a rather profound spot of depression, and I'm simply trying to keep myself moving by concentrating on what I *want* to do, rather than what I've determined months or years ago that I need to be doing. Inimicus is fun and I'm close to the finish line, but I can't bring myself to work on it at this particular moment -- shit sux, but that's life.
yodhe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally grok the lethargy/depression, hope that the muse returns to you soon.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to make a pilgrimage into town to do some savory shopping, but I felt like working instead (*GASP*)

Yeah.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I spent the entire day (Saturday) cleaning up the framework and getting it properly structured, named, documented, etc. Actually I've been working on all that for the last two weeks. Much of that time was spent deciding what features from Inimicus were addition-worthy and mussing about getting them stuffed into an appropriate location, increasing their flexibility, etc. Everything turned out well, and I hardly broke anything in the process ;)

So I've got a good thing going, and now it's time to put it to use. So while Inimicus is on pseudo-hold, I'm going to start on a small project. A tool. For me. If others find it useful, then so be it. I won't be spending a lot of time on it, because I have ... games ... to make. Or something.

You shall know of it soon, and it shall be called... Moai.
IMakeGames
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it! :)

Here's the things I encountered while playing Inimicus that seemed wrong/buggy. It will probably include things that have already been mentioned but I don't want to read the whole thread...
The AI was acting weird at times: sometimes, for prolonged periods it didn't do anything but skip the rounds even if it could do stuff (I think). Also, it tried to increase the trade rating (was that the phrase? The thing were you spin the slot machine) so many times and never succeeded once. While I built crops and houses, it gambled away. :D
When I reach a point where it's pretty clear I have won, it still takes a loooooong time for me to actually win the game. Somehow the enemy just doesn't die, even if he has no more food left and people die off each round. I even send plagues and "bad stuff" every single round and the ufos rape him to infinity but he still doesn't die (fast). Dunno if that's intentional game design to give players more opportunity to recover.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

When I reach a point where it's pretty clear I have won, it still takes a loooooong time for me to actually win the game. Somehow the enemy just doesn't die, even if he has no more food left and people die off each round. I even send plagues and "bad stuff" every single round and the ufos rape him to infinity but he still doesn't die (fast). Dunno if that's intentional game design to give players more opportunity to recover.

Yeah... that's something I still have to address. I want to strike a balance between the player just falling off a cliff and dying in a few rounds, and hanging on indefinitely. What I need to do is create a routine that monitors player condition specifically for "no win" scenarios... such as having no houses or crop and no way of building more. You can pray for help, which makes it difficult to outright call someone defeated. But if they don't have a shrine....

But some game modes are based on score, so it's important to run the whole way through, because if you can hang on long enough the other player might mess up and doom themselves. It happens :)

Quote:

The AI was acting weird at times:

The AI is mostly-logical. It constructs a set of potential actions, and weighs them so that the most logical action has a >75% chance of happening (I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head). There's always a chance it'll do something different. This allows the AI to occasionally pull off brilliant upsets and are not really all that brilliant, just what you weren't expecting. It also doesn't track repeat actions yet, so like you witnessed, it's possible to attempt the same thing over and over so long as the situation doesn't demand different action.

I see now I need to look into that.
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found yet another bug, or it might be the same one I found a while ago: http://twitpic.com/d1jwbi

For the sake of offering an explanation, it's when the AI chooses an option it doesn't have the resources for and it doesn't exit the menu of the building and tries something else instead.
Sirocco

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBAce9Aura wrote:
Found yet another bug, or it might be the same one I found a while ago: http://twitpic.com/d1jwbi

For the sake of offering an explanation, it's when the AI chooses an option it doesn't have the resources for and it doesn't exit the menu of the building and tries something else instead.

I'll keep an eye on it, but I believe I've already fixed this bug in my current build (which none of you have 'cause it's super-WIP and some shit's broken). It's caused by the AI basing its decision on the situation a split-second before the game finishes all of its between-turn updates. This can cause it to try to do something it can't do: launch ships when the harbor is blocked, buy stuff it can't afford, use skills that are not available due to damaged buildings, etc. The solution was to put in a piece of code that monitors objects and won't let the game proceed if anything is still in motion. Crude, but effective!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what happened when I let the island generator in Inimicus run amok. I always wanted to do that at least once :)
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to play this with my girlfriend, but I can't find a download link anywhere, yet I remember playing it. I'm confused.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check your PMs you should see a link to the most recent beta (7, I think). If not I can post it later.

I'm debating what next year is going to bring. I'm either going to go all-in on my unfinished games, or the other non-game-related thing I've hinted at but never spoken of. I may as well flip a coin at this point, but I've got to get Inimicus out one of these years (it's essentially done, as you probably remember).
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your website seemed to have changed urls, so the download's not working anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta 7
Patch

I guess I can say it's a public beta now ;)
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee, going to try this out later

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm rewriting my framework from scratch, leveraging what I've learned over the years, and moving things over to SDL. It's going quite well. This will probably get a port and a proper release this year. That also means linux and mac ports are much more viable.
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool :)

Still have to try this with my girlfriend. Was going to play it with her yesterday, but we were both too tired to play games.
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirocco wrote:
That also means linux and mac ports are much more viable.
I read somewhere it is possible to cross-compile SDL2 projects within Linux for Windows, using the mingw toolchain. I will try that for my SDL2 testing with the idea that I will just use Linux from now on to develop everything, cross-compile for Windows from there, testing it in Wine and then assuming that if it runs in Wine it will run in MS-Windows as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that would work, but it should be noted that MinGW support is kind-of near the bottom of SDL priorities these days. Several features get disabled in stock versions MinGW (XInput, Haptics). I suspect future MinGW support will be though user patches (merged into mainline), but from what's been said I don't think the core developers care much about MinGW anymore.

That said, MinGW64 isn't the same thing as MinGW. It's implied that MinGW64 support will continue, but on Windows Visual Studio is the preferred compiler (be it free VS Express or paid VS). NOTE: MinGW64 can make both 32bit and 64bit binaries. Exotic 3rd party library support is best in Visual Studio, as non Linux developers seem to think it's the only way to create C/C++ on Windows.

I've never seriously used MinGW64, so I don't know how much of a pain it is to use yet. In my initial searching, the setup process didn't look as elegant as MinGW's (now with an apt-get like installer mingw-get).
0xDB
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoV wrote:
That said, MinGW64 isn't the same thing as MinGW.
That seems important to know for I thought it was just the 64bit version of the same thing.

PoV wrote:
but on Windows Visual Studio is the preferred compiler
Visual Studio has become a lot better (not only because they started offering more and more feature complete free versions over the years) since VC6 (which was the first version I ever bought... had I known about Linux back then, I probably would not have) but nowadays, I am looking for ways to not having to use an actual MS Windows system (except for some games which do not run well in Linux (yet)) for anything anymore. I will keep using Windows7 until they stop supporting it but I will never buy another Windows license again... because Linux is simply better (and costs much less) and I want to avoid having to boot into Windows just to compile stuff.
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally random find which reminded me of Inimicus and warrants this kind of thread necromancy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that in-game screenshot is eerily similar. :]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Utopia/Inimicus is a fascinating study of what happens when two people in two different eras unknowingly start with the same concept and let it grow logically into something similar. I'll bet the same things went through his mind as mine when creating the game's design: Okay, I have an island with people. I have to house them. I have to feed them. What happens if I don't? How do they get food? Islands have shitty weather. What happens if the rain stops? What happens if it storms? Etc. Etc. Only my vision went to a really weird place at the very end ;)

I did some Intellivision emulation after I had stopped developing Inimicus and came across Utopia (pretty easy since there are so few games on that system). At first I was rather freaked out, but now I just think it's cool as hell.
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens in history some times, like mathematicians from different countries developing the same theories independent of each other. Truly, the human brain is a fascinating device.
Game Developer's Refuge
is proudly hosted by,

HostGator

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. All comments owned by their respective posters.
phpBB code © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group. Other message board code © Kevin Reems.